“Awful Communication”

The Great British Cupcakery
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Having visited the cupcakery once before (although very expensive) we thought it would be nice to host a birthday tea party there. I went on the website and emailed through my booking enquiry as the website requests. I got a reply a week?! later saying it would be available to hire, so I emailed back with a few more questions/costing prices and I'm still yet to here back (this is now a month ago). I decided to call them on Tuesday to book it over the phone, only to be told it was possibly already booked for a baby shower on the day we wanted. The lady on the phone took my number and told me she would contact the other booking to see if it was definite and get back to me either way. As predicted I haven't been contacted since. We've booked somewhere else now for our afternoon tea party, it shocks me that a local business are so nonchalant about acquiring a paying party of 16 guests in these financial climates. Will not be returning.

1  Thank siobhanxx

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Located on Queen Street on Newcastle Quayside we were drawn in here by the huge cakes we could see at the counter when looking in! I thought the place was lovely and whilst cake prices are on the high side so are portion sizes! Rocky Road at £2.95 was the size of a brick and should only ever be shared! The cakes on offer were often subject to snap happy photographers so impressive they were in appearance.

Despite the size of the place there are probably only about 8 tables. They do seem to have a bit of an issue with attention to detail in cleaning cups/glasses as we were given a dirty glass explained by the waitress as off her fingers and then were given a replacement that still wasn't clean. Shame.

Will probably go back.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My Wife and I visited the Great British Cupcakery along with our 8 month old son after having a wander along the quayside on Saturday and were looking for a place to stop off for a bite to eat.

Having heard good things about this place from people we knew we thought we would try this out for ourselves. First impressions were good with a nice feel to the place and decor pleasing on the eye. Immediately spotted cakes, brownies, scones and cupcakes which all looked really good.

The place itself is not that big and we were lucky to find a table as this was late morning and we thought with having a pram it maybe difficult to get in but i have to say there is plenty of spaces in between tables so this is a good place to visit if you have a pushchair/pram. Also worth noting they have 2 high chairs which is a good.

Getting back to the food, we opted for sandwiches to start with and shared a Brie and Cranberry one as well as Tuna & Cucumber. Both were tasty and came with kettle chips and a side salad. For drinks we had a tea and a large latte and decided to opt to share a rocky road which was really nice and to be honest a bit to much for two people!

I have read peoples previous reviews of the place stating this place is to be avoided and not great service but i have to say this couldn't be further than the truth in our experience. The Service was good, staff were friendly and i will definitely be going back.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is a lovely big bright and airy cake parlour which has a very large choice of freshly baked cakes, cupcakes, scones and tray bakes (at least 10minutes spent perusing them before I could decide) as well as their specialist Occasion Cakes made to order.
The walls could do with a few more pictures or hangings to fill them as it's a huge place and feels a little unfinished but with such yummy treats and hot drinks on offer who cares really...!? It's a lovely spot down the Quayside to meet (particularly with buggies/prams as there's loads of room).

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Visited with my mum, came away disappointed. I had seen previous face book posts about gluten free cake only to find that they didn't have one single gf cake. I only had tea. My mother said her cake was average. We visited on a Sunday and the cake was definitely not fresh. Staff were surly teenagers, not great service.