“It was okay”

Dining options: Reservations
Lancaster
“It was okay”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Had a groupon voucher and it was valued at £79.00 for four but paid £40 and feel that we were not offered the service /selection of cake had we paid full price. Cup cakes looked fab with 2 inch of cream but was actually butter icing - yuk too sweet. Scones nice but sandwiches best part of it. Do not eat chocolate and asked to exchange a chocolate cake but was not allowed although the counter was full of different cakes. Disappointed to say the least

north east
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Visited the great British cupcakery for afternoon tea last week and all I can say is WOW. From the attention of the staff to the great food the visit was excellent and one that I will be revisiting again. There was so much food that they even gave us a doggy bag to bring home.

Visited March 2014
Washington, United Kingdom
“Awful Communication”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Having visited the cupcakery once before (although very expensive) we thought it would be nice to host a birthday tea party there. I went on the website and emailed through my booking enquiry as the website requests. I got a reply a week?! later saying it would be available to hire, so I emailed back with a few more questions/costing prices and I'm still yet to here back (this is now a month ago). I decided to call them on Tuesday to book it over the phone, only to be told it was possibly already booked for a baby shower on the day we wanted. The lady on the phone took my number and told me she would contact the other booking to see if it was definite and get back to me either way. As predicted I haven't been contacted since. We've booked somewhere else now for our afternoon tea party, it shocks me that a local business are so nonchalant about acquiring a paying party of 16 guests in these financial climates. Will not be returning.

1 Thank siobhanxx
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great cakes but more care needed”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Located on Queen Street on Newcastle Quayside we were drawn in here by the huge cakes we could see at the counter when looking in! I thought the place was lovely and whilst cake prices are on the high side so are portion sizes! Rocky Road at £2.95 was the size of a brick and should only ever be shared! The cakes on offer were often subject to snap happy photographers so impressive they were in appearance.

Despite the size of the place there are probably only about 8 tables. They do seem to have a bit of an issue with attention to detail in cleaning cups/glasses as we were given a dirty glass explained by the waitress as off her fingers and then were given a replacement that still wasn't clean. Shame.

Will probably go back.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“1st time and would definitely come back!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My Wife and I visited the Great British Cupcakery along with our 8 month old son after having a wander along the quayside on Saturday and were looking for a place to stop off for a bite to eat.

Having heard good things about this place from people we knew we thought we would try this out for ourselves. First impressions were good with a nice feel to the place and decor pleasing on the eye. Immediately spotted cakes, brownies, scones and cupcakes which all looked really good.

The place itself is not that big and we were lucky to find a table as this was late morning and we thought with having a pram it maybe difficult to get in but i have to say there is plenty of spaces in between tables so this is a good place to visit if you have a pushchair/pram. Also worth noting they have 2 high chairs which is a good.

Getting back to the food, we opted for sandwiches to start with and shared a Brie and Cranberry one as well as Tuna & Cucumber. Both were tasty and came with kettle chips and a side salad. For drinks we had a tea and a large latte and decided to opt to share a rocky road which was really nice and to be honest a bit to much for two people!

I have read peoples previous reviews of the place stating this place is to be avoided and not great service but i have to say this couldn't be further than the truth in our experience. The Service was good, staff were friendly and i will definitely be going back.

• Visited February 2014