“A GREAT SWEET TREAT”

The Great British Cupcakery
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My Husband and I went for afternoon tea and were very impressed with the whole set up,the staff on duty were very attentive showed us to our table ,offered us a beveridge which explained was refillable and informed us afternoon tea would be with us shortly, when it arrived it looked very impressive on the stands,a choice of sandwiches,scones and various cakes.It's great that these old buildings are brought back to life with fresh idea's.this is obviously a very busy business as there was plenty of customers,the whole atmosphere was great.well done and keep up the great work we will certainly return to enjoy more of your delicious cakes.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I have been toying with the idea of writing a review for a while, simply because I'm not one to usually complain about food or service but since this establishment failed miserably on both I felt the need to. I should have known from the first phone call that this wasn't going to an enjoyable experience because when I called to book afternoon tea for around 11, the owner rudely replied 'it's called afternoon tea for a reason, it's in the afternoon'. Not a great start but I was willing to give this place a shot despite receiving a few more snippy comments from the owner on the phone. We had afternoon tea, which when you're paying £20 per person you're expecting a heck of a lot more than what you got. From the service standpoint we were told there was free refills but were never asked once by the servers if they could get us a second cup, which I felt was very poor. Also, all of the dishes looked as though they'd been sitting in a cupboard for ages because they had a layer of dust and film on them, not exactly what you want to be eating and drinking out of. I've also read that another person had the same issue so it seems they're not too bothered with cleaning their china before passing it out to customers! From the food standpoint I was very disappointed with the quality of the cakes we were given, they all tasted a bit stale like they'd been sitting around for a while, and they weren't very flavourful at all! When you walk into the store you also see that they have all of their cakes and desserts on display and interestingly enough they're all left uncovered, which I don't is the best hygienic wise, and it also leads to things tasting quite stale and crusty, especially their cakes! For a place that calls themselves The Great British Cupcakery I was expecting a lot more taste wise, albeit their cakes are beautifully decorated, but at the end of the day it's taste that matters and this place failed miserably on it. It was the combination of poor service from both the owner and staff, as well as the lacklustre desserts that made me rate this restaurant as terrible and I would not recommend it to anyone I know.

6  Thank maddiehill8
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Had a groupon voucher and it was valued at £79.00 for four but paid £40 and feel that we were not offered the service /selection of cake had we paid full price. Cup cakes looked fab with 2 inch of cream but was actually butter icing - yuk too sweet. Scones nice but sandwiches best part of it. Do not eat chocolate and asked to exchange a chocolate cake but was not allowed although the counter was full of different cakes. Disappointed to say the least

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Visited the great British cupcakery for afternoon tea last week and all I can say is WOW. From the attention of the staff to the great food the visit was excellent and one that I will be revisiting again. There was so much food that they even gave us a doggy bag to bring home.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Having visited the cupcakery once before (although very expensive) we thought it would be nice to host a birthday tea party there. I went on the website and emailed through my booking enquiry as the website requests. I got a reply a week?! later saying it would be available to hire, so I emailed back with a few more questions/costing prices and I'm still yet to here back (this is now a month ago). I decided to call them on Tuesday to book it over the phone, only to be told it was possibly already booked for a baby shower on the day we wanted. The lady on the phone took my number and told me she would contact the other booking to see if it was definite and get back to me either way. As predicted I haven't been contacted since. We've booked somewhere else now for our afternoon tea party, it shocks me that a local business are so nonchalant about acquiring a paying party of 16 guests in these financial climates. Will not be returning.

1  Thank siobhanxx