“Afternoon tea”

Dining options: Reservations
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

1st of all I purchased a groupon for our afternoon tea for 2 so I am not sure if we received the normal affair on offer at full price as the sandwich fillings were different to the one's advertised on the website. The tea-rooms are light & airy but have high ceilings so can be quite noisy when people are talking at the few tables. Service was as good as could be expected as their was only one young girl serving all the tables & another group of 4 for afternoon tea arrived shortly after us. However the young girl was very polite & did her up most best to serve everyone. The tea was delicious we had Rose & Jasmine, Redbush & Vanilla, Strawberry & Orange & English breakfast. The sandwiches were I am afraid to say ok, the bread was starting to become dry & the fillings nothing very special. However the warm cheese scone was divine as was the chocolate tart & strawberry cupcake. The scone with Jam & cream was nice but tasted more bread bun like than a scone. Nice little tea room with very polite staff, However another member of staff should be on duty to make the place more efficient. I would probably visit again for a cup of tea & cake but would not pay full price for afternoon tea ( £19.95 per person)

• Visited April 2014

newcastle upon tyne
“A GREAT SWEET TREAT”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My Husband and I went for afternoon tea and were very impressed with the whole set up,the staff on duty were very attentive showed us to our table ,offered us a beveridge which explained was refillable and informed us afternoon tea would be with us shortly, when it arrived it looked very impressive on the stands,a choice of sandwiches,scones and various cakes.It's great that these old buildings are brought back to life with fresh idea's.this is obviously a very busy business as there was plenty of customers,the whole atmosphere was great.well done and keep up the great work we will certainly return to enjoy more of your delicious cakes.

• Visited April 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Tasteless Desserts with a Rude Owner”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I have been toying with the idea of writing a review for a while, simply because I'm not one to usually complain about food or service but since this establishment failed miserably on both I felt the need to. I should have known from the first phone call that this wasn't going to an enjoyable experience because when I called to book afternoon tea for around 11, the owner rudely replied 'it's called afternoon tea for a reason, it's in the afternoon'. Not a great start but I was willing to give this place a shot despite receiving a few more snippy comments from the owner on the phone. We had afternoon tea, which when you're paying £20 per person you're expecting a heck of a lot more than what you got. From the service standpoint we were told there was free refills but were never asked once by the servers if they could get us a second cup, which I felt was very poor. Also, all of the dishes looked as though they'd been sitting in a cupboard for ages because they had a layer of dust and film on them, not exactly what you want to be eating and drinking out of. I've also read that another person had the same issue so it seems they're not too bothered with cleaning their china before passing it out to customers! From the food standpoint I was very disappointed with the quality of the cakes we were given, they all tasted a bit stale like they'd been sitting around for a while, and they weren't very flavourful at all! When you walk into the store you also see that they have all of their cakes and desserts on display and interestingly enough they're all left uncovered, which I don't is the best hygienic wise, and it also leads to things tasting quite stale and crusty, especially their cakes! For a place that calls themselves The Great British Cupcakery I was expecting a lot more taste wise, albeit their cakes are beautifully decorated, but at the end of the day it's taste that matters and this place failed miserably on it. It was the combination of poor service from both the owner and staff, as well as the lacklustre desserts that made me rate this restaurant as terrible and I would not recommend it to anyone I know.

• Visited February 2014
6 Thank maddiehill8
Lancaster
“It was okay”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Had a groupon voucher and it was valued at £79.00 for four but paid £40 and feel that we were not offered the service /selection of cake had we paid full price. Cup cakes looked fab with 2 inch of cream but was actually butter icing - yuk too sweet. Scones nice but sandwiches best part of it. Do not eat chocolate and asked to exchange a chocolate cake but was not allowed although the counter was full of different cakes. Disappointed to say the least

• Visited March 2014
north east
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Visited the great British cupcakery for afternoon tea last week and all I can say is WOW. From the attention of the staff to the great food the visit was excellent and one that I will be revisiting again. There was so much food that they even gave us a doggy bag to bring home.

Visited March 2014