“Fantastic dim sum and restaurant, just needs a polish”

Sky Chinese Cuisine
Ranked #301 of 1,302 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sky Chinese Cuisine is a traditional Hong Kong style restaurant located in the heart of Chinatown Newcastle. Serving Dim Sum, Hotpot and a full menu all day, every day - Sky Chinese Cuisine prides itself on delivering delicious food, in a friendly and welcoming environment.
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I've been to Sky several times in the past and its always been good but it seems that I have neglected to review it after previous visits. Nevermind, Restaurant Week in Newcastle provided a great opportunity to once again sample the delights of Sky and offer a personal review of the place.

As mentioned by other reviewers, don't be put off by the really shabby exterior and staircase which has seen better days (there is a lift that takes you to the restaurant that is accessed from outside), the restaurant is actually rather nice. Not exactly modern, but the décor won't put you off your food either.

We had booked a table over the phone earlier in the day and mentioned that we had the Restaurant Week voucher (as per the terms of the deal) and found ourselves seated in a rather empty restaurant when we arrived, It was a blisteringly hot day, so I imagine everyone was outside sunning it up. However, it did get busier.

Anyway, the deal was four lots of dim sum for a tenner, and as it was one voucher per person we just blitzed it and ordered off a fairly extensive dim sum menu. We tucked into satay baby octopus (which must have been de-beaked as there wasn't the usual "crunch"), duck in beancurd wraps, siu mai. custard buns, calamari, spare ribs, chicken feet in black bean, and a mango pudding for afters. I'm sure I've missed off over dishes as we had so many...

Each dish was great with the siu mai (pork and prawn dumplings) being particularly huge and satisfying.

When it came to paying the bill, one of the waitresses knew nothing about Restaurant Week and was confused by what we were saying. In the end she went to ask the Manager and everything was settled - they didn't even ask to see our vouchers.

One thing that did let the place down was the toilets - the stalls were pretty bad, but I'm sure it wasn't the fault of staff. It seemed that the previous occupants of each stall had forgotten how to lift the toilet seats and just did their business anyway. Disgusting behaviour by customers.

However, be that as it is, the food was great, the staff were great, and Restaurant Week is great.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I definitely wouldn't have gone into this restaurant if I hadn't looked on here first! From the outside it looked a bit run down but once you get your meal its a different story. Absolutely beautiful! So much flavour, easily the best Chinese i've tasted!

Steve C, Manager at Sky Chinese Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for the review! We are glad that you enjoyed our food and hope you return again soon as we have a wide selection of food from our menus that you still need to try! :)

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Booked for a cheap midweek Chinese as it was restaurant week. We mentioned the restaurant week offer on the phone and again on arrival. When we arrived there was no table for us despite our booking and we had to wait while they cleared one. After sitting down and looking at the menu the waitress came over to take our order. As soon as we mentioned restaurant week she told us that we had to have booked (we'd already told them of our booking upon arrival). We repeated this and she dithered off to fetch a manager who told us that we had to bring vouchers (no mention of this anywhere on the promotional material or when we booked). At this point I became sick of the developing farce, got up and left. We went to nudo instead.

We send our apologies that there wasn't a free table for you even though you had booked. There must have been an error. In regards to the restaurant week offer, it states in the Terms and Conditions for the offer that the voucher must be presented. This meant that we could not give you the offer because we had no proof of the voucher. We are sorry that you had a bad experience at Sky Chinese and will take your feedback on board for improvements.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We have eaten here several times and really enjoyed the food and dim sum but we tried to go to the restaurant tonight and were treated so bad we decided to leave. I had booked this time to try the restaurant week menu and quoted this on the phone and confirmed. On arrival we tried to tell the waitress the name of her booking and they all ignored this and kept just saying table for 2. The restaurant was very busy. We were sat down still unclear if they understood the booking we told them several times. When it came to ordering I showed the waitress the voucher on my phone and she looked confused and fetched the manager. She was very rude to me telling me I had to have the printed voucher or I could not eat off the menu. Nowhere on the phone, on arrival or online does it stipulate the need for a printout. I have had restaurant week offers several times where I just show the digital voucher with no problem. The service here by no mean matches up to the food. Extremely disappointed!

On behalf of Sky Chinese, I would like to apologise if you thought any of our staff were rude to you. I am sorry to hear that there was a bit of confusion with regard to whether or not the voucher had to be printed out. I have noted down your feedback and disappointed to hear that you did not get the experience you expected that day from Sky. We are constantly improving the restaurant with customers' feedback to guarantee a high level of customer service. Hopefully you will return to Sky Chinese another day and have the great experience we can offer.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We ventured down China Town on Stowell Street looking at menus. Sky Chinese had 4 oriental groups enter while we were browsing the menu. We decided to give it a shot and were not disappointed. We were promptly seated and our drink order was taken. We took a while to order as we looked through the vast selection. We had another waiter and the manager come by to make sure we were being taken care of. Our food choices were excellent, much better and more authentic than the dishes distant relatives we frequent in the USA. We are defiantly pleased we took a chance on this little gem on the 3rd floor.