“The latest room upgrades puts the hotel up with the best!”

Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre
“The latest room upgrades puts the hotel up with the best!”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I Last stayed at this hotel last September, I had a great stay then and returned this week for 5 days, what a change, wow! New 32" flat screened TVs and free wifi throughout the hotel fantastic! they know what customers looks for in a hotel stay , the rooms are very well maintained. A great complimentary hot or cold breakfasts makes a good start to the day. The staff are simply second to none, Michael (duty manager) was very professional and helpful and nothing was too much trouble to deliver good service. I even had a late checkout as I had a late flight! Overall great for all occasions with the great central location to the town centre within a few minutes walk! A stay here won't disappoint you!

• Stayed April 2013
Cal12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Dear Daniel

Many thanks for your kind review, It appears you are a reall advocate for our hotel. I am especially glad that you liked our new Flat screen TV's complete with freeview and our FREE wifi. I have also passed on your kind comments regarding Micheal to him, it rally means a lot when people specifically name one of our team members. Thanks again for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you again here soon
Guest Services Assistant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Czech first
england
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We have stayed here a few times and it is a good choice if prices are reasonable .Also try to beat IHG Best Price Guarantee. You can usually although they seldom allow it!!!! They have the last word and there is no other body you can appeal to. Back to the hotel, everything is as should be and the front desk staff are extremely good. The only areas that could be improved are in the breakfast. Where, although there is varied choice with the additional items, such as fruit, toast, jams, pastries, ham, cheese, rolls etc the sausages and powdered ? egg are really poor. The bedrooms are fine except the man made pillows which really are terrible .I realise this is a IHG policy thing but it needs changing. The nearby car park is free from 17.00 to 08.00 and only 80p an hour or £5 until 17.00.Despite these couple of points this Express is well worth staying at.

1 Thank klammer
Dear Klammer

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am sorry you were not 100% happy with our scrambled eggs and pillows and have passed your comments on to our Purchasing dept to look in to. I hope you will continue staying with us and look forward to seeing you back here soon
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Took my son on a visit to ST James Park, as he is a big Newcastle Supporter.
Picked this Hotel, as it looked near to the Park. Could not have been more delighted with the location, a 5 min walk from the train station, and a 10 min walk to the ground. Right in the city centre area, 10 min walk to the main shops. The Hotel is right on the corner of 2 busy main roads, so if you want a view, avoid.
The bedrooms, are fine, as I say, better than Travelodge but not as nice as a Premier Inn. As we booked in advance, we got 2 nights mid week, at a decent price. The heating system is a bit old fashioned and slow.
There is a large bar/reception area, where the wifi is free. There is a list of take away menus, and a area full of cutlery and plates, so you can bring food back or get it delivered and eat it there, which is a good idea for families. The bar prices, are expensive, as are most hotel bars.
We stayed Mid week during the school holidays, so the hotel was full of families and business people, so there was a nice quiet atmosphere. I imagine this might be different at weekends.
They serve a self service, buffet breakfast in the morning, which was included in the price. I thought it would be just a cold continental breakfast, but there was plenty of choice, including sausages, beans and scrambled egg. It was certainly enough to fill my always hungry teen.
All the staff we dealt with were, friendly and helpful.
Be aware, if you stay here, and want to leave your luggage the next day after checkout time, there is a charge.
We would stay there again when visiting family but only if we could get the same good rate.

Room Tip: We had a room over looking the court yard, which I would imagine, would be quieter than the ones ove...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear 187069Caroline,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am happy that our location was convenient for you. Your additional comments have been noted and will certainly be forwarded to appropriate departments to consider for review. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Leeds
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Well overall it was OK but stayed in 2 Holiday Inns in the past 2 months and both have been a bit of a let down.

Pros
The bed was extremely comfortable and so were the pillows, clean, nice shower, friendly staff, location of hotel is not directly in the city centre but it wasn't far from the train station and a short walk to the hustle and bustle of the centre (although we did use taxis fairly frequently over the 2 nights), toast was delicious at breakfast, plenty of space for a big group of us to sit and eat generally togetgher.

Cons
Very noisy through the night, was full of young people in groups such as hen dos/stag dos, didn't help having a room next to the lifts but I was that tired on the 2nd night I managed to sleep through a lot of it, noise inside on the corridors and outside. Breakfast not brilliant, the toast was nice but the juice glasses were like shot glasses (2nd day no juice as the machine broke!) only meat was sausage, very busy at breakfast and struggled to hold everything at once.

I think I will be avoiding Holiday Inns from now on as both hotels been a disappointment really. Only my comfy bed on the 2nd trip is clinching the chance of returning!

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the main entrance at the back and away from the lifts and on a floor without s...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Cal12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Amy

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We do strive to give guests the bedrooms in the areas of the hotel which they have requested so if staying again feel free to ask for a room on the courtyard side high up We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is and as you have said we do have really comfy beds

Guest Services Assistant.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my husband. It was a good price including breakfast. The hotel is very basic and although it is a relatively new building the decor is dated and the hotel does not feel new. There is also very little noise insulation between rooms. The breakfast is fine. I had a croissant, a yoghurt and apple juice. Cereals, white toast, beans, scrambled egg and sausages were also available at the buffet.

There are a few grocery shops open late nearby but there are also sandwiches and snack available at the desk. As the hotel does not offer a restaurant, guests are allowed to bring take-away food to the bar. There is free wifi in all areas - just get the code from reception each day.

All in all, it was cheap and had everything we needed. I would stay here if it was the cheapest I could find. We paid £40/ni inc. breakfast for 2 people.

Dear JEM011

Thank you for this review of your stay with us.I am pleased to read that you found there to be many good points about your stay. I am especially happy that you were impressed with your complimentary breakfast and the Location of the hotel.

I am glad you made use of our complimentary WIFI and as of next week we are having new flat screen TV's delivered which shall make our bedrooms look more modern.

Thank you once again for your review and I do hope that you will be back to stay with us soon.

Regards
Church Gresley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed here for one night 7th April. Check in was very quick, our room was on fourth floor facing the court yard very little road noise. The room was a good size and the bathroom was lovely. The bed was very comfortable with choice of either soft or firm pillows. Breakfast was included in the price, there was a good range of food on offer cereal, toast, croissants,fruit etc as well as a hot option. The hotel hasn't got a car park but the Grainger tower multi is opposite prices are good for a city centre £5 all day and £3 on a Sunday it has the option to pay by phone so you don't have to go out to renew ticket, just be careful where you park as some spaces aren't permit spaces at the weekend but suddenly become them in the week. Overall a good stay.

Dear NattyNu

Thank you for taking the time to share this lovely review of your recent stay with us.

I am glad to hear that we were able to provide rooms to comfortably accommodate your needs and that you enjoyed the range we gave you on our complimentary breakfast..

I hope that this will be the first of many fantastic stays that you have with us in Newcastle.
Best Regards
Lee anderson
Dublin
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Just back from a short break (3 nights) in Newcastle City Centre (arrived Sunday 31st March) where we stayed in the FANTASTIC Holiday Inn Express. We arrived to check in and unfotunately there was a slight delay with our room. Lee (reception) apologised. A short time later John (reception) informed us that our room was ready and apologised for the delay and thanked us for our patience. The location of this hotel is perfect, 5 minute walk to the main shopping street. This is my second time to stay in a Holiday Inn hotel and again we were very happy with our stay (previously stayed in The Holiday Inn Express Bristol). The room was spotless, all the facilities you could want, tea, coffee, hairdryer etc. Our room was cleaned each morning, we even had a visit from a Supervisor to check our room had been cleaned, something which I have never experienced before. Breakfast was pefect (self service), hot food, cereals, fresh fruit and the entire area immaculate, there were also free newspapers. Now about the wonderful staff in this hotel. Derek (night staff) was so friendly, giving plenty of advice of places to visit. And now to the wonderful JOHN, what can I say about this valuable member of staftt, such an asset to the Holiday Inn. He gave us great tips on where to eat, how to get there etc., reminding us all the time that he and the rest of the staff where there if we needed them. Of all the hotels I've visited in the past number of years, I have to say John is most helpful and one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of dealing with in any hotel and I don't say that lightly. I always use Tripadvisor before i book a hotel and after reading a recent review from somebody who had stayed in this hotel, for the life of me i cannot understand how they can say that this hotel is not in the city centre, if the hotel was any closer to the city centre it would be part of the main shopping street, it takes approx 5 minutes to walk to the main shopping area, that's close enough for me!! A short note to whoever oversees HR for the Holiday Inn Hotel Chains, please, please congratulate the wonderful John (reception) on his professionalism and kindness, he most definitely deserves it and more. This was a very last minute trip to Newcastle, we had never visited this city before, but will definitely return and when we do we will most definitely be staying in The Holiday Inn Express Newcastle.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor and found it perfect.
1 Thank MNolanDublin
Dear M Nolan
Thank you for this lovely review of your stays with us. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback from happy guests and especially from returning guests.

Thank you for your kind comments about our team and Derek and the wonderful John in particular. The team takes real pride in their work and it is great to learn that this is appreciated. Thank you once again for your lovely comments.

We look forward to seeing you again soon