“Excellent hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here a number of times. It is centrally located and excellent if you are going to the Arena, just a short walk away. Located nearby also Chinatown. This is a holiday inn express, and anyone who travels knows what their breakfasts are, so I am amazed at some reviews expecting something more. Also hotel is immaculate and staff friendly. There is a secure car park next to hotel which is only £5. Obviously depending upon the evening you go, it is a party city. However the hotel do realise this and all you have to do is when booking request a quiet room, they do have quiet floors where they put us all together. Excellent hotel, lovely staff, immaculate.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, they will provide.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cal12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Amanda,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel at such a busy time of the year.

It always makes the staff and I very happy to hear we are lovely.We hope you will stay with us again when you visit our city.

On behalf of all the team here at Newcastle we wish you a very Merry Christmas.

Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Czech first
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I am writing this from my hotel room as I can't sleep, nothing to do with being in the city centre,I can handle that..but it is now 01.45 and I have been trying to sleep for 2 hours..there is a constant distant humming, sounds like someone is vacuuming! Or a dim drilling noise.. And it's been going on for ages...add that to this constant sound of what seems to be a very loud light switch being turned off and on repeatedly from the room next door...surely can't be it's been doing it for 3 hrs...

I drove up from north of London today to meet up with my son to drive him home from university tomorrow for the Xmas holidays. The hotel itself is decent, the room is clean, the bed is comfortable so no complaints on that score. Also great location, 5 mins walk to St James's and 10 to Eldon Square shopping..

Just wish I could get some sleep ahead of the long drive back tomorrow...:-(

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Cal12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Sjc1965,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel here in Newcastle.

I am sorry to hear you did not have a great nights sleep when you stayed with us.Please could you get in touch with the hotel and let us know your room number so we can look into this problem.However we do have staff on duty 24 hours a day and i do wish you would have contacted us so we could of rectified this problem before your departure.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies and i hope this will not stop you from staying with us in the future.

Merry Christmas.

Kindest Regards
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Stayed in Holiday Inn Express Newcastle for 6 nights. Our room was clean, modern, bed sheets/linen were exceptionally soft, mattress comfortable, and at least on the 5th floor it was nicely quiet during night time.

However, don't expect too much from the breakfast: It was rather simple (no veggies at all) and every morning they were running out of some food, so be prepared to wait for a while if you want e.g. scrambled eggs with beans. Also, free WiFi connection is quite slow. TIP: If you're staying for several nights, ask WiFi code for multiple days. We received on our first 2 days a code, which allowed us to use the Internet only for 24 hours, so we had to pick up each time a new code from reception, until someone realized to give us a code for 4 days. Also, as you can connect only one device/code, I think they should give the codes based on the number of guests, not rooms (as me and my fiancé both needed to use our laptops).

Then again, this is affordable hotel with excellent location, so I guess you can't get it all! Nevertheless, I'll be happy to stay in this hotel again, and thus can recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Cal12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Tukri

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to leave us your review whilst everything during your stay was not 100% satisfactory I am glad you are going to be staying with us again. With regards to WIFI you rightly so should have been given a code for your whole stay and I apologise you were not however your code operates two devices so you should have both been able to work. When staying again if you have any issues just contact any team member who will be glad to help.

Hope to see you soon

Many thanks
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stayed for a few nights in November. Reception staff were friendly and explained everything we needed to know about the hotel clearly. Room was clean and comfortable, decent TV and free but slowish WiFi. Bathroom was clean, so the important things are correct. The breakfast was OK for me, but the room where the food is laid out is a bit on the tiny side.
A small amount of noise outside in the early hours, but this is a hotel in Newcastle not a rural retreat.
The hotel is easy to find when driving up from the south. It's a short walk to a good selection of bars and places to eat.
The nearby car park has way too many privilege type parking bays which visitors can't use so watch out for them. It's cheap by UK standards at £5 a day and very close to the hotel. Though for some reason there are steps between the two not a ramp.
If we go back to Newcastle will more than likely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cal12, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear BrianBasil,

Thanks for taking the time out your busy day to review our hotel here in Newcastle city centre.

Its wonderful to hear that if you do visit Newcastle again you will stay at our hotel.

I am sorry to hear that the WIFI was slowish but for a small fee of £5 you can purchase high speed internet access for up to 3 devices.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards

London
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed there last week and was very impressed. I was recognised as a Gold Card Member and the check in was remarkably swift. The receptionis was very friendly and we compared notes about Rajasthan where we had both visited.

The location was perfect - just a 5 minute walk from the station and close to a number of good restaurants.

The quality was good and what you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express. The room was comfortable and very quiet which meant I had two good nights sleep.

I will be staying there again over the next few months

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the aquare
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Nsojer,

Thanks for taking the time out your day to review our hotel here in Newcastle.

Its great to hear you had a good nights sleep when staying with us.We look forward to welcoming you back when you next return to Newcastle.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a Sunday night and was impressed with the friendly staff and room on the 4th Floor, and the price was most competitive

Staff even did my photocopying with no charge and nothing was to much trouble from the receptionist, and staff at breakfast was very helpful

I ordered a taxi for the following morning and should like to thank the staff for their effective and efficient customer care skills

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kevin E
Dear Kevin E,

Thanks for taking the time out your day to review our hotel here in Newcastle.

We hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Have a Merry Christmas

newcastle
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I say I should be a hotel critic for how often I stay in hotels of this price range and the holiday inn express Newcastle would have to be the worst review. Its good for location to city centre and room was a good size, clean and soft bed. Decent bathroom and fresh towels every day. However the breakfast was disgusting. Seating area looked impressive however food was laid out in tiny room, no one could move, and there was only sausage egg and cold beans. No beacon, mushrooms, tomato, hash browns.. the usual you would expect. It stood in a tiny un-presentable stand.Then I ended up spitting the egg out as tasted fowl. I Thought it might be a "one off" however next day we opted just for a coffee as exactly the same, we heard at least two other people complaining to staff about the food. There are plenty of places near by to get a nice breakfast for less than a fiver. Now I know why the breakfast is included in the price. Also during the night was a lot of noise about 3-5am when the bars close, also workmen and bin men early mornings.
The Jury's Inn 5 minute walk away is a lot better and similar price. Large hotel with impressive reception and great River Tyne views if get high up room. No noise to keep you awake through night and breakfast - you'd think you were in a much more expensive hotel

Room Tip: don't stay here
1 Thank JillhelenNewcastle
Cal12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear JillHelenNewcastle

I am sorry to hear that your breakfast experience with us was disappointing for you. Holiday Inn Express as a brand offer a continental breakfast with 3 hot breakfast items across the estate. I have spoken with our kitchen team to ensure that the quality of all products is acceptable before being sent to the serving area.