We stayed only 2 nights at the Holiday Inn Express, but it was a wonderful stay.
Check-in/check-out: we had booked the room via an internet set. Both check-in and check-out went smoothly and efficiently.
Staff: Courteous – not merely the formal politeness, but really nice.
Rooms: quite spacious and very clean; sufficient sockets to charge cell phones etc. Coffee/tea making facility was a godsend (unfortunately no fridge). Bed was sufficiently large and comfortable. A/C worked perfectly. Wifi was also perfect – easy access, no need to repeat log-in every day or after returning to the room, fast. Only downside: no safe.
Bathroom: had the practical solution of being divided into two since the door to the bathroom could be used, once opened, to close the entrance to the section with the toilet. Toiletries: shower gel/shampoo (2in 1) in a dispenser; hand soap in a dispenser. If I remember correctly, the hotel offers complimentary toothbrush etc. on request.
Breakfast: not many dishes but tasty; no egg station but scrambled eggs available. The two main plus points: dishes were replenished until the very end of breakfast time (so even late comers got to enjoy the whole range) and there was a coffee machine that made espresso, cappuccino latte etc. and the taste of the coffee was super!
Smoking: smoking is not allowed in the hotel and consequently, smokers stand outside, near the entrance. I read one review that mentioned they were bothered by the smoke. However, I also noticed that this space outside is not really inviting to smokers (who are, after all, paying customers as well), given that no shelter is provided in case of cold or rain – so I am sure smokers are also not very happy to be there. One solution that might make both smokers and non-smokers happy would be creating an outside but also appealing space for smokers to congregate without bothering or being bothered. I am sure many smokers would be even happier if they could actually be served a drink or coffee there.
Location: a big big plus. It’s close to the central railway station (3-5 min. on foot; no problem even if you have suitcases with you). It’s also close (10-15 minutes) to both the new center (Haymarket) as well as the old one that begins at Monument or to the Quayside (take for instance Grainger Str. followed by Newgate Str. or Grey Str.). Basically, whatever route you take you get to walk through wonderful neighborhoods and to see wonderfully restored buildings.
So, would I stay at this hotel again? Yes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay in the heart of vibrant Newcastle at the Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre hotel. Located near Newcastle Central Station, our modern hotel is a short stroll from the city centre's cosmopolitan shops, bars and restaurants. Start your day right at our Express Start buffet breakfast which is always included and enjoy a choice of both hot and continental items. Ask Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre's friendly front desk staff for tips on sightseeing and getting around the city. Help yourself to tea and coffee during your business event in Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centres 2 air-conditioned meeting rooms. Getting to meetings around Newcastle is a breeze thanks to our proximity to the A1 and train and metro services from the station 300 metres away. Our convenient city-centre location, a short walk from historic St Nicholas Cathedral, makes us a good base for sightseeing. Stroll across the sweeping Gateshead Millennium Bridge for a night out in the Arts Quarter's hip bars and restaurants and head to the huge MetroCentre 3 miles away for hundreds more shopping and entertainment options. After a day's sightseeing, unwind over drinks in Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre's contemporary bar, open 24 hours, or catch up on email with our free Wi-Fi. Our helpful staff will be happy to order takeaway food for you to enjoy in the comfort of your modern guest room. Wi-Fi is free for guests who book directly with the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Lastminute, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Odigeo, IHG, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Newcastle City Centre Hotel Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Holiday Inn Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Newcastle Upon Tyne Holiday Inn