“Relaxing and comfortable”

Ryton Country House
Guisborough, United Kingdom
“Relaxing and comfortable”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Just wanted to say what a lovely time we had staying at the Hotel. Arriving after a long day we were greeted by friendly helpful staff, the room was very clean and comfortable with a good shower.We ate in and enjoyed good food and excellent service.After we took a walk around the Village which was very nice before returning for a drink.Breakfast was very tasty and yet again the staff could not do enough for you.If you want a well run relaxing comfortable hotel then this is it

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Manchester
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed here as we were attending a wedding nearby. Allowed us to check in early so we could be in time for the wedding. The Manageress was lovely, the staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was nice and the room was very comfortable.

Can't argue with that!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I stayed here on business. Outstanding in every way!

Service was friendly and helpful. The hotel was comfortable and quiet. Dinner and breakfest was delicious. I had to leave early and the owners made a point to open breakfast just for me. And breakfast is the real deal, full English style.

This is a special place and one to be enjoyed!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Walkington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2012

If you're the type of person who likes the glossy, predictable but 'safe' experience found in one of the many hotel chains...you probably won't be reading this review. If however you rate the quality of your stay by the service you receive and the value you get for your money - this hotel has to be for you. Yes,if you read some of the less flattering reviews it's true to say that the decor that wouldn't find its way into the latest edition of Country Life, and fittings that don't reflect the latest fashion but everywhere was clean. Then of course you start looking beyond the facade to the quality of the overall experience and the amazing value for money that this hotel represents.
From the moment we arrived it was evident that the hotel manager does her best to ensure a happy and friendly atmosphere. I don't think we've ever experienced a warmer staff who make it the most welcoming of environments - they were brilliant.
We had our evening meal in the hotel and our breakfast. The quality of both meals was outstanding, far better than many restaurants we've dined in but at bar meal prices. My wife, a vegetarian would strongly recommend the mushrooms - the best she's ever had! Breakfast was equally as good and it required tremendous self restraint not to go for the full English. But the opportunity to experience the mushrooms again was too much.
Cask conditioned hand-pulled ale is on offer in the bar - at bar (and not hotel) prices. Three pints for less than £10 is not bad. Main courses ranged from just under £7 to about £15. We shared a starter and had a main each for just over £20 in total. Locals were dining alongside us, which is always a good sign.
On checking out I asked what the policy was on room allocation. Too often I've booked into impressive hotels through bargain websites to find myself in rooms that probably wouldn't be offered to other customers. We'd been upgraded on arrival into a more expensive room. The manager took me on a tour of all the rooms available and I have to say that even if we'd been given the 'base' room, I wouldn't have been upset.
Two footnotes on this one.
Firstly, if you can and the weather is good, get their early and take a trip to Housesteads or Steel Rigg on Hadrian's Wall - 20 minutes' drive away. Spectacular!
Secondly, we attended a business meeting after checking out. One of our colleagues had spent a rather unsatisfactory night at a well-known hotel chain and spent nearly £10 more for a single room B&B. I know where we'll be staying next time.

Room Tip: Before you book a country hotel through a bargain or discount website, check the hotel website or ph...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Newcastle, UK
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We visited 'The Country Club' (as it's locally known) for a midweek bar lunch a few months ago, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The bar is very traditional and cosy, with very friendly staff. The drinks are quite expensive but the food is very good value, when regarding the portion sizes. I ordered mince and dumplings and my partner ordered lasagne. The food was served within 20 mins and the potions are big! My partner's meal was served with a large side salad and garlic bread and my mince and dumplings was served with a large side portion mixed veg and mash. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals and for £8.95 each, it was very good value. Lovely! :)

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank angellea69
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I've used the Ryton Park for many years and have stayed there many times. Unlike Zeb I've always found it satisfactory. Far from being shabby It's a nice quiet place and the food is usually good value for money and tastes great, with fast service and a fair choice on the menu.
The rooms are clean and comfortable if a little basic, and though the walls are paper thin the noise levels are not an issue. I see that they have upgraded to flat screen TVs though they should really have Sky available if not in the rooms at least in the communal TV room.
I've always found the staff to be friendly very friendly and competent and nothing is too much trouble for them. I stay away from home a lot through work and believe me I have paid a great deal more for a whole lot less. I like the old place and won't hesitate to stay there again in the future

Room Tip: o for a room with a bath rather than just a shower as these have the bigger bathrooms. Room 11 is my...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Karl K
York, England
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Having read th rpevious review I was a little apprehensive about booking this hotel but it was near to where we wanted to be so gave it a go (only three nights anyway). I would not describe the hotel as shabby. The decor throughout was smart, clean and tidy though definitely not pretentious. The staff were very friendly and competent. The food was very good (and served on piping hot plates!) with courteous and quick service but not rushed.
The bedroom was small but adequately fitted (flat screen TV and tea/coffee making). The bathroom was very small and this is the one area that could do with updating but everything worked satisfactorily.
The bedroom walls were very thin but there was no noise late at night and we were not kept awake.
There was lots of car parking and the residents car park was very secure.
The hotel was very convenient for NT properties along the Tyne valley (and there is a regular bus service to the Metro Centre). A number of easy walks locally and a choice of eateries within walking distance although we ate in the hotel each night because we enjoyed it so much (we were only booked B&B).

It's not 4 star luxury but a comfortable small country house hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Best Western Gibside Hotel
Best Western Gibside Hotel
#35 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Metro Centre
Holiday Inn Express Newcastle Me...
#16 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Newcastle Gateshead Marriott Hotel MetroCentre
Horton Grange Country House Hotel

Been to Ryton Country House? Share your experiences!