“Very enjoyable meal”

Ryton Country House
newcastle
“Very enjoyable meal”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We enjoyed a great Christmas dinner at the hotel. All three courses were generous and well presented, the waiting staff were attentive and nothing was too much trouble. We have eaten here many times and it never dissappoints, the bar meals are also good value.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Took the family for sunday lunch, the restaurant was very busy,was seated at the bar with menus,but had to wait 5 mins for our drinks.
The food was good, but service was a bit slow due to the restaurant being full.

Will go back about for sunday lunch.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Our room was cold when we arrived, but heated up nicely by the time we went to bed. It was very small and dated, though clean and tidy. There was a hairdryer and a kettle with tea and coffee for us to use. There is also a secure car park at the back of the hotel that gets locked at night. The shower was lovely and hot but not very powerful. The toilet was fine and the hot water in the sink splutters. The bed was very comfortable, and the curtains thick, making the room nice and dark. The walls are paper thin, we could hear people next door speaking and even using the toilet!!
The staff at reception and in the breakfast room was lovely, friendly and pleasant. We were very impressed with the full English, everything was cooked to perfection, and we were well looked after with anything else we needed.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Newcastle
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We live locally, but until last week had never ventured into the "Country Club" for a meal so thought we would give it a try
When we arrived, we stood at the bar for a few minutes, and although there was no-one else stood there and were 3 people behind the bar doing various things, not one of them bothered to acknowledge our presence and tell us they'd be with us ASAP.
We were told we could sit in the bar or restaurant, so went through to the restaurant as it was quite chilly outside and didn't want to sit next to the doors
The tables were laid out lovely with all the different cutlery and side plates you might need, but when we ordered our meals, NOTHING that wasn't needed was removed until the waitress returned with our meals so they were trying to place the plate down with one hand and remove everything else with the other
I ordered salmon and salad and my hubby had lamb chops. It was £25. My salmon was very dry and had a hard skin on the top where it had either been over cooked or left under the pass to be taken out too long. My husband really could've done with a steak knife for the lamb as it was hard to cut the meat away from the bone.
With the exception of one member of staff (who I overheard was leaving this week) none of the others seemed to have a clue what they were doing and definitely needed more training
I was very disappointed, as I was hoping that we might have found somewhere local that we could visit regularly, but, although we might be brave and venture down there again in the future, it won't be anytime soon ...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank feebie
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We booked a night here before watching my son do the great north run. We were only staying one night but we really enjoyed ourselves. The hotel is a bit dated compared to some places but our room was clean and comfortable and although the ensuite was small it had everything you need. We booked a table for dinner and had a lovely meal - and in the morning we had a great cooked breakfast. What made the place special for us was the staff. They were so friendly and helpful. They helped us in the morning finding the best way to get to the run, printing off maps etc. A great weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrsd33
Holmfirth
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed for one night after a day quad biking. The rooms were very clean and presented nicely, bedlinen matching etc, our shower/bathroom was incredibly small, but it was still functional and clean. The TV room was large and airy. The reception staff were all very polite and pleasant and the car park for residents was secured during the night (at the back) by gates so we knew the vehicles would be safe. The bacon for breakfast was good and the coffee too was full of flavour, the bottle of wine we had with our even meal was quite nice too. These are the positive things I can tell you about this hotel. However, when you walk into reception your greeted by an over powering smell of dettol/antiseptic type smell which is so over powering it leaves a taste in your mouth. The food for us was very disappointing in as much as everything was either frozen food warmed up/over cooked or tasted strongly of melted butter which it appeared to have been cooked in for some strange reason (vegetables?) Nothing was burnt though just not well cooked at all. We did mention to our waitress who served us that night about it, but we are not sure whether any of our feedback was given to the chef. Anyway if you want a nice, comfortable bed to sleep in - its a good place for that, but for us we'd have to eat out next time, though I can honestly say I probably would not stay here again due to the basic-ness of it. The bar was supposed to stay open until 11.00pm but it did close and was locked up by 10.30pm, The restaurant was set out like you were attending a wedding or something. Kind of wished we'd eaten in the bar area really and the restaurant chairs was very uncomfortable. The whole place could do with a bit of a face lift as in certain area's is quite shabby, but then £128.00 for two rooms for one night not sure you can expect much more than "what you pay for your get" in your approach to staying here. I would not recommend this. But these are only my views it depends what your looking for really.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Had to stay at this hotel as was coming up for a family wedding and the rest of the party were booked in here. Arrived shortly after 2pm (official check in time) and had to wait between 10-15 minutes for anyone to appear at reception - despite ringing the bell 3 times. Not a great welcome after a 4 hour drive! And when someone did appear there was no apology for the wait, I was simply handed my room key and asked when I wanted breakfast.
And so up the (very creaky) stairs to my room. My parents were also staying at the same hotel and had received a welcome pack in their room, there was none in mine though. Although there was a coffee ringed menu for the restaurant downstairs (complete with tippex to highlight price changes).
The furnishing was basic (although some of the trim on the bottom of the dressing table drawers was broken), the bedlinen appeared to be clean, there was a television and hairdryer provided as well as tea and coffee making facilities (although the lead of the kettle was too short!!)
The bathroom was a reasonable size, with a shower over the bath. Mini toiletries were provided which was a nice touch, however when I ran a bath the top of the tap fall off revealing a very grubby underneath!
I managed to sleep well eventually, however the room was so hot initially it was very uncomfortable, there was also some form of generator outside my window which emitted a loud humming noise every few minutes.
Breakfast was great, probably the best part of my stay. Cooked breakfast was provided as well as a selection of cereals, fruit and pastries.
I was disappointed to note that the room obviously had not been cleaned very well after the last guests, proof was an empty wine bottle in my bedside cupboard!!
There was one member of staff who was lovely, she was very helpful and friendly and accommodated us in the bar after we got back from the wedding, but on the whole I found the staff to be slightly unfriendly. When I checked out I was not asked if things had been ok with my room, perhaps if I had been I would not be writing this review now!
For £69 a night I expect more from a hotel, unfortunately I can not say I would ever stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Cairn Hotel
#10 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Premier Inn Newcastle (Metro Centre) Hotel
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park
Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth...
#23 of 82 in Newcastle upon Tyne
Hedgefield House Hotel
Hedgefield House Hotel
#1 of 23 in Newcastle upon Tyne

Been to Ryton Country House? Share your experiences!