“Average at best.”

Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside
Carlisle
“Average at best.”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I have stayed in a few Premier Inns across the country and this was probably the worst. I usually like them because they're relatively new, clean and reasonably priced. Newcastle is an expensive city, so I wanted something that wasn't £200 for 2 nights. I paid £125 for 2 nights 19/11/13-21/11/13. The location was excellent for the courts (where I needed to be), but it's in dire need of refurbishment. The reception is shabby, the restaurant is overpriced for what it is, and I was stuck in a dingy 3 bed (just for me!) room (404), on the fourth floor. The room was dark because the windows were practically non existent, it wasn't spotless (dusty, hairs in the bath etc), it wasn't very soundproof and it was ABSOLUTELY FREEZING. The room was quite large, given there was a double and a single bed, and it only had 1 little heater that was as much use as a slack tooth. In general, it just looked shabby. However, I did actually slept quite well given the situation. Shower was also ample, although I have to say I absolutely hate shower curtains!!! The facilities - i.e. the TV, wardrobe space, hairdryer, kettle etc were ample. I also received a letter from them today requesting an additional £125 because I 'failed to check in.' After a prompt phone call it was resolved...but it still shouldn't have happened and I shouldn't have to pay 10p per minute for something that was quite clearly an administrative error at their end. Would I stay here again? Only if it was all I could afford, and I had to be in that area again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lozorro92

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Hull
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Trying to contact this hotel to establish whether they do food on Christmas day having booked for 5 days. Whilst prompt to take payment. Not responded to e-mail nor can I get through to via telephone at 10 per minute as it keeps telling me they are busy and to call back later after so long. Does anyone know if they service food at all on Christmas day as wanted to me away or do I need to take a pack up!!!

Room Tip: Hopefully a good view in view of length of time I am staying.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sylvia B
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback. We are pleased to learn that the team here has been in contact with you over the weekend. They will be serving food on Christmas Day. We hope you enjoyr your stay with us.
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed yesterday evening. Room was nice and clean and staff were friendly and helpful. Especially an attractive girl called Jemima in the restaraunt who was particularly pleasant and attentive. She made sure I had everything I needed and seemed trained to a great standard. Food and droink were limited but as a hotel bar served its purpose well,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ryan C
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stayed at this Premier Inn due to it's proximity to the Metro Arena where the wrestling was held. Brilliant location for this and other things in central Newcastle. Easy to find, get around and get away. All in all, well worth the stay for the price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank HarrisM_12
York
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Quayside, the hotel has so much character that I'm not sure I will ever stay in another hotel in Newcastle apart from this one. I was greeted by somewhat rude receptionist but a girl from the housekeeping department made up for this, she had glasses and red hair believe she was called Tracey. what can I say I had a few issues being cold in my room and was telling my friend on the corridor about this, within 5 minutes of arriving back in my room she appeared with an extra duvet and heater, saying that being warm was a important part of the stay and could she do anything else, this girl is without doubt an amazing member of the team and makes up for the treatment I received on arrival. I saw her over the two days I was in the hotel and every time she recognised me and checked my room was warm. Fantastic customer service and she appeared to be working over various departments but with a smile on her face at all times. I hope to revisit Newcastle before the Christmas period and there is no doubt in my mind where I will be stopping.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank S L
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I stayed here for a conference plus an extra night to catch up with family. had a great night sleep apart from the fire alarm (not the fault of the hotel). The room was cold on occasion but easily remedied with additional bedding or extra clothes. It's in a great location for the range of bars and restaurants at Quayside, the Sage centre and easy access to the City Centre. The staff were very friendly, happy to help and very accommodating. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TheJenster72
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Booked at £121 for myself and my girlfriend. Web site bragged of secure car parking, got there and no parking as car park full.So had to find parking on a Saturday in Newcastle centre , a real nightmare. Only booked to enjoy Newcastle and know my car was safe and near, totally disappointed with this. I wouldn't go back after feeling cheated, paidb £121

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. There is limited chargeable parking which we do mention on our website, I am sorry if you found this unclear. Please be assured I have passed your comments onto our Marketing Team for their review. Thank you for your feedback which is very important as it enables us to improve standards and meet all our customers needs.