“One of the Worst Prem Inns”

and 1 more site!
Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside
N.E England
“One of the Worst Prem Inns”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here on the 29th December. I stay at Premier Inns regularly and have got to say this is one of the worst I've stayed at. While the location is good It was dated, dirty and shabby. On arrival the reception was not of the usual clean modern receptions of other hotels. We were given a room 3rd floor. To get there you had to walk past the lifts, past the restaurant/bar and into what I could only describe as a steel service lift that was so small my wife and I and one case filled it. When we got into the room I found it to be well below the standards I expect from premier in, again, dated dirty. Overall very disappointed. We were so disappointed we didn't stay for breakfast and checked out at 7.30 to travel home.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Posher1
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed here for a long weekend as a family of four. The staff in the hotel are very friendly and helpful and we found the hotel to be very family friendly.

We found our room to be a little chilly as we stayed in December and the hotel is an old building with sash and case windows. We would still choose to stay here though as everything else is perfect.

We used the resturant for dinner and it was a lovely meal and again a great service with lovely staff. You can also order pizzas from the bar to be delivered to your room which we enjoyed too.

The hotel is right beside the Tyne bridge and our room faced the bridge giving us lovely views. It is a lovely walk at night to see all the bridges and walk over the millenium bridge when it is lit up. The hotel is within easy walking distance to the train station, china town, life centre (which also had ice-skating in the winter) the city centre all within 10-15 minutes walk. We didn't get a bus or taxi for our whole stay. If we come again we will come at a different time of year when the boat rides run too.

Would highly recommend and we will stay here again if visiting newcastle.

3 Thank Scottish_Family2014
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Good location for shopping, old building a bit draughty but overall good. Nice safe car park underneath hotel with reasonable charge for the facility. Great view of Tyne bridge and Sage from bedroom window. Very large family room, clean and tidy and could not fault anything for the price we paid. Would definitely return.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank strenwi
Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have stayed in quite a lot of Premier Inn's and this is by far the shabbiest I have ever stayed in. The room was quite dated and the bathroom was tiny. It was certainly in need of updating urgently. On the plus side the room was warm, and the beds were of the usual excellent standard of Premier Inn, One gripe of mine is why don't they have sheets in the room so you can choose between a duvet or sheet. There were plenty of pillows in our room, and although I found them very comfortable, myself nor my daughter could not work out which were firm and soft as they all felt the same. The other reason why I have knocked a star off is the restaurant. It is the first time I have stayed in a Premier Inn with a Thyme restaurant and I will not stay in another given the choice. There is not much to choose from on the menu unless you are a fan of burgers!! Also, why does the restaurant not open until 6pm? We stayed there on the night of 28 December because I was taking my daughter to a concert at the City Hall and we had to leave the hotel by 6.30pm. On going down to the restaurant at 5pm and discovering it was shut I enquired with a barman as to the opening time. He explained it was 6pm to which I said that was too late for us and we would have to go elsewhere. He admitted that he had had two other families say the same thing minutes before we had approached him. There is obviously a need for an earlier opening time, and during stays at other Premier Inns I have eaten earlier than 6pm. I have noticed on the website that a lot of restaurants are turning into Thyme but I am afraid I won't be staying in another. Bring back the best ones, which in my opinion are Table Table, Brewers Fayre and the Tay Barn.

2 Thank AT28
Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Spent 2 nights/3 days here just before Christmas. We had two rooms for a family of four and we also took the dinner/breakfast meal deal. Great location right on the riverside and the restaurant was very good. Excellent breakfast (Costa Coffee, and ask for the porridge) and a decent dinner, although a lot of the items on the menu are not included in the meal deal. Jemima in the restaurant was lovely, so helpful. The rooms were fine: good beds, but the bathrooms are a bit basic. Would like to have proper soap and shampoo instead of those dispensers on the wall. But pretty good overall and excellent value for money.

4 Thank AJE62
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

Great service , great room, great location, friendly staff, efficient check in, loads of info at check in, comfort great, will defiantly be going again and would recommend this hotel to anyone as you are in a greT spot for earring drinking or business

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Leigh S
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

Fantastic location close to restaurants and the nightlife of the Quayside. Bedrooms and reception areas clean and of the standard you'd expect of a Premier Inn. Be careful of the car park if you have a large car. It's tight!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends