“Could do better”

Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside
Leeds
“Could do better”
Reviewed 27 April 2010

It was a very cold day and it was a very big bedroom but the heating was not up to its job. The ventilator in the bathroom was noisy and reception attended to this reasonably quickly but it was still not completely inaudible from the bedroom. I suggested that this might be making the room cold but was told that this was not so. Reception were clearly under some pressure because there was a big business party who were having a meeting at the hotel on the next day. Although the business people were a bit noisy in the bar, the staff herded them to the far corner and this was not a problem.
The food, excellent traditional dinner and breakfast, was excellent. It was good to look out over the Tyne from my table.There was a big crush at breakfast but, again, the staff coped well.
This hotel is in an old building (former Corn Exchange) and is obviously difficult to heat, insulate and maintain. I was told that the group have only acquired the premises recently and have a plan to bring them up to modern standards over a period of time. It would be good to have things completed by next winter.
Finally, night life in this part of Newcastle on a Monday night, seems to start at about 11.30 pm.. Double glazing would help in more ways than one.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside, responded to this review, 26 May 2010
Thank you for your review, we are delighted that overall your stay with us was a good one. It is great that you enjoyed your meals with us and that the issues you had in your room were resolved swiftly. Thank you for your comments regarding our building they have been noted and will be duly followed up. Thanks again for your review you feedback is much appreciated in our endeavours to improve standards and meet all our guests requirements.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Stirling
Reviewed 15 April 2010

Breakfast for the price was fab. Heating in room and hot shower in the morning. Tv in room. Friendly and helpful reception staff. Within walking distance of shops (15 minute walk)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside, responded to this review, 20 May 2010
Thanks for your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our hotel, great breakfast options and our great team here met your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
UK
Reviewed 9 April 2010

I travel occasionally for my company, for which Premier Inn is the preferred chain. Having stayed in quite a few over the past couple of years I have a benchmark standard in my mind.

My visit to Quayside Newcastle was my first and I have mixed feelings about the place.

My company had made the internet booking and selected the car parking option. On arrival I found the gates to the underground car park closed. Leaving my car turned in towards the gates, but still in the road I found a buzzer on the wall. After pressing several times for a couple of minutes I had to abandon my car in the road and walk into reception – there was no room to park on the side of the road. I found one flustered receptionist on the phone and several guests waiting to check-in. I tried to attract her attention (my car was in the middle of the road) but the phone call took all her attention. I saw a couple of faces looking through the back office stripy mirrored glass door. Eventually someone did come out and as soon as I asked them to open the gates was told the car park was already full. Apparently selecting the car park option on the internet booking form only confirms it will be paid for if used, but does not guarantee a space – TO BOOK A SPACE IN THE CAR PARK, YOU MUST RING THEM DIRECTLY. I was given a very helpful map of the area and told to find on-street parking. I had to lug my luggage, laptop and suit carrier in the pouring rain from three streets away – got soaked.

At check-in I was promptly given my key card and pre-booked dinner card, all of which went into my top pocket. I took the lift to the 2nd floor and a short walk to room 226. I dropped off my stuff and went straight for dinner.
James served me and was very helpful, chatty and friendly.
The three courses were very good – one of the better PI meals I have eaten and a great view of the very wet Tyne quayside.
Upon settling with my meal card (which has always been a £21 limit) I was told the system had changed and there was a “special menu” that I should have used. Oops! Might have been useful if the receptionist had told me this. They allowed me the starter and main but wanted to charge me nearly a fiver for a piece of cheesecake. I refused and advised them to speak to the receptionist. A member of staff went to reception, but after a few minutes I told James I was going to my room, and left.

The room itself was usual PI style, but one of the older units - slightly tired and reasonably clean. Bathroom was OK but shower was lovely, as always. Same in bedroom, with their great bed. Had a good night of sleep except for the rowdy seagulls kicking off occasionally – they can't hold their drink. View from the window was of the central area – not quite the Tyne or Millennium Bridges I had hoped for!

All in all, a nice PI, with staff trying to be friendly and helpful. Next time I will probably try the Team Valley PI.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside, responded to this review, 19 May 2010
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us and that you continued to experience our clean and comfortable rooms. We do apologise for the confusion you encountered on arrival, this will be duly followed up by the Management Team at our hotel. We do indicate on our website that the parking at our hotel is chargeable and to contact the hotel directly for pricing and information. Thank you for your feedback regarding our restaurant, we do endeavour to delivery the highest level of service in all our establishment. Thanks again for your review and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Bath, England
Reviewed 16 March 2010

This is a nice hotel that I will stay again next time I'm in Newcastle. It's right underneath the Tyne bridge which is an impressive sight to look at and makes finding the hotel easy. The room was very spacious and perfectly clean. Ther remote control for the TV didn't work when I checked in but they replaced it reasonably promptly. Breakfast was busy but the staff worked well to clear a backlog so didn't have to wait long.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside, responded to this review, 1 April 2010
Thanks for your review. We are delighted that your stay with us was a good one, and you enjoyed our great location. Your feedback is so important to us in our endeavours to provide all our guests with the best level of service. Thanks again for your review we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2010

Booked last minute, great location, big rooms, fantastic powerful shower, comfy bed. Only 1 towel in room for 2 people! Limited adjustment on thermostat but has electric wall heaters. Smooth check in and check out. Plenty of parking by the side of the hotel (free overnight).

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside, responded to this review, 25 March 2010
Thanks for your review, we are pleased to hear that our hotel and facilities met your expectations and your stay was a comfortable one. We look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.
monmouth, south wales
Reviewed 4 March 2010

We were a group of 16 and had arrived at the Premier Inn Quayside at 9.30am. Nothing was too much trouble, the girls on reception put us through and let us have the rooms that were available at the time.

One member of staff really stuck out for her friendliness and helpfullness, unfortunately i didnt get her name, but she was on the desk friday 26th in the morning with long dark hair.

The rooms were very clean and adequate for what was needed. My self and a friend had previously stayed in the Travelodge around the corner, big mistake, its awful.

We were made to feel very welcome and all the group said they would stay in this hotel again. Roll on next trip to Newcastle. X

• Stayed February 2010
Thanks so much for your review. We are delighted that your stay at our hotel was a good one. At Premier Inn we endeavour to give the highest level of service in all our establishments your feedback regarding our team members, and clean comfortable rooms is gratefully received and will be followed up by the Management Team at our hotel. Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2010

Warm welcome at the reception though I did not have prior resevation.The girl at the reception did her best not to keep me waiting for long since the system was down the time I was checking in.
All the same I did receive a copy of my invoice via email which is a promise fullfilled - great job done there.
The room was clean as usual with everything well set.Only hiccup would be the heating whose setting needs adjustment.It happens to work intermittently leaving the room cold before it starts again.That seemed to continue even after pressing the adjustment buttons on the wall.

Checkout was superb and I will keep recommending this facilty to others.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside, responded to this review, 10 March 2010
Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you had a comfortable stay with us, and that our hotel, and helpful team members met your expectations. Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay we look forward to welcoming back to Premier Inn in the future