“Brilliant food at a very reasonable price”
Review of Amma Restaurant

Amma Restaurant
Ranked #909 of 1,279 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$13 - US$26
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Brilliant food at a very reasonable price”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have always been sceptical of South Indian restaurants in the U.K. (we are of South Indian origin), but came across Amma by chance when my parents visited Newcastle. The food was nothing less of brilliant in our opinion, and we will definitely be coming back whenever we visit Newcastle.
The staff were very helpful and friendly, but the food was the main highlight. The food is authentic to South India, with no oil whatsoever, but with full on taste. I would recommend the Mutton Varuval starter, and the Chettinad Mutton Curry with parathas as the main course. We also really liked the vegetable fried rice and payasam desert in particular.
I would definitely recommend you visit Amma. The food is distinctly different to other Indian food that Britain would be used to, and makes a nice change as you will discover.

• Visited June 2014

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Food still good, service still bad”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was willing to give this place another shot after my last review because the food was great. I've visited a few times since and unfortunately the service is still pretty poor and inconsistent despite the deliciousness of food. One waiter is great; very chatty, quick and attentive. However, one waiter in particular is terrible. No customer service skills, slow service, no eye contact, shrugs when asked direct questions and barely speaks. It took him 15-20 minutes to get us three soft drinks on a reasonably quiet afternoon whilst it took another two minutes to fetch only one!

I know waiting is not an easy job by any means and staff have to deal with rude customers every day but each visit we have been patient, understanding and polite and received the same service. Such a shame that this business still have not invested in training their staff properly. It's not a case of needing to 'being fawned over' as some reviews have suggested - I am fully prepared to experience delays with orders from the kitchen - however, what this place is lacking is basic common sense and vital customer service skills. I will return for the food - though not in a hurry- but that's all.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Pizza F
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
“Fantastic food, slow service”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I would agree with the other reviews that food is great, service not so great.
We keep coming back because the food is consistently excellent but try to visit at quiet times or the wait is long.
Biriyanis, chicken fried rice, kutthu parota, chilli chicken, chilli fish all excellent. Large portions, nice and hot and good value for money.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic South Indian Food”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Found this restaurant after searching for years for south Indian restaurant in North East. Excellent food and great value for money.Love crispy masala dosa and filter coffee. Friendly staff and good service. I will be a regular visitor to this restaurant to try all the dishes in the menu.

• Visited July 2014
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Its already been said...”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

As almost everyone else has said, just enjoy the food, its really good, bearing no resemblance to a typical Bangladeshi. As long a you have the time to spend and chat, the slow service wont bother you, at best Id describe it as eratic ! However that wont put me off going back and the prices are tremendous value for money. Think Cafe rather than restaurant and you wont be disappointed !

Visited June 2014