“Rooms far to hot an small”

Euro Hostel Newcastle
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Little out of city centre hotel was quite clean. However the dorm room was very hot no window and thermostat did not work and was hot air blowing all night room was very small with 8 bunks cramed in I would not stop here agen not when you can get other hotels rooms ( private) for £19 mid week overall very disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Iceycold
Paul S, Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Hello Icycold

Thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and found the door rooms to be too hot and small.

We are currently in the process of reviewing controls for the room temperatures.

Private rooms are available from £29 per night. These do provide more space and comfort should you prefer.

Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Well I am just back from my two hard nights in the Euro Hostel Newcastle. To say I got no sleep in the two nights is an understatement. This is my 4th time in Newcastle normally staying over near central station.The lads booked Euro hostels for the supposed cheapness!!!!!! First thing we paid too much for this place but that was our choice so our fault!!! Ok bad points!!!! Firstly we were met with a less than friendly receptionist and told we had to hand over £30 deposit before check in cause we were a stag party. They tried getting £120 off us for 3 people arriving the next day!! That didn't happen!!! I only found one helpful staff member being luke the door man. Rooms are still like being in a furnace. Careful stepping out of the shower room with wet feet as I fell and damaged my back. One of our party lost his passport and after 1.5 hr looking for it all over the hostel and Newcastle and speaking with our embassy it was found behind the reception after the guy being asked to check there. Be warmed on some points one towel in our room for 3 people.We had to pay £1 each, breakfast finishes at 10 sharp don't look for cereal at 10:15 or you'll be told to buy brunch. Shower head holder still fall down.
Overall I am afraid to say the only really redeeming factor for euro hostels from a stag party point of view is the hidout across the road.
Did not enjoy our stay.

1  Thank Tomas C
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Hi Tomas

Thanks for taking the time to review your party's recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was disappointed to note that we appeared to fall short of our normally excellent standards and hope to clear up a couple of these issues.

Firstly, we do request a good behaviour bond from all groups staying with us. This is to ensure other guests are not disturbed and, provided there are no issues regarding damage or behaviour, the bond is returned at departure. This is outlined in the Group Booking terms and conditions and are issued to each group leader at the time of booking. I apologise that you were not made aware of this by your group leader.

The only lost passport reported during your weekend was discovered in The Ware Rooms toilets. After a little detective work, the passport was returned to a delighted gentleman in his room. The guest was so grateful he insisted on buying a bottle of wine as a thank you.

Additional towels are available on request from reception should you require surplus. There is a small charge per towel.

Breakfast times are stated at the time of check in and, like all other hotels and accommodation providers, we have to stop serving in order to prepare for lunch and bar service. Breakfast is available for a full three hours every day, between 0700 and 1000.

Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

2nd time staying here. I gave a mixed review last time as our window would not open and the place was like a sauna. I also complained about the terrible attitude of a bouncer. Euro hostel had wrote back to say that this member of staff was no longer working there so I got a surprise when we arrived to see the bouncer still on the door. He was much nicer the second time round but why bother writing back to my complaints with lies?! Room again was too hot, it’s like being abroad. The whole building is roasting. We got a fan for the room (£10 deposit). This room was not as good as the last time. There were no chairs, mirrors, shelves or tables. Just bunk beds and drawers underneath. For 8 girls getting ready this is somewhat a logistical nightmare. Shower rail kept falling down and soaking the whole shower room. For what we paid we can’t really complain too much I suppose although I don’t understand why we got a much more basic room than last time considering there were more people in the room. Free breakfast is fine, don’t pay for the full English. Its revolting and rubbery. Would like to mention the very grumpy man behind the bar…. Crack a smile and stop pushing all the poor girls behind the bar out the way when they are trying to serve people!!!

2  Thank kylieclyde
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Hi Kylie

Thanks for another thorough review of Euro Hostel Newcastle.

After your last review we did spend time with our security company, with a view to improving the customer service and interaction aspects of their role within The Ware Rooms and Hostel, and it is pleasing to see this has improved. Their performance is review weekly by the Duty Manager and forwarded to their management.

We are aware of the issues regarding room temperature and are currently in the process of sourcing an alternative option to bedroom fans.

Rooms with fewer beds may be requested during booking however this will not be as cost effective as the dorm room requested for your party. All requests are subject to availability.

Thanks once again for your review.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

It had been 22c, but the rooms were around 34c, been in cooler rooms in India and Malaysia

Its not bad if you get a window room, although the room we had was a stench pit, but we had a 8 man room the next night with no windows and was horrendously hot. After 3 cold showers i managed to get a little sleep, but not worth it unless you plan to stay 1 night, get in at 6am and leave at 9am.

Other than that it was clean and well placed for town, the breakfasts next door were pretty crap, microwave scorched, but pleasant enough bar, yet massively hot again.

Staff were good, shame the company didn't invest in its customers.

Room Tip: Avoid the inner areas of the hostel if its hotter then 20c on a day you will boil
2  Thank Adam S
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Hello Adam

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I appreciate your comments on the room temperture and the lack of sleep as a result.

Please be assured we are aware of the problems regarding room temperature and are in the process of investigating solutions.

Thank you once again for bringing this to my attention and I sincerely hope you will return in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

I apologise in advance for not leaving a review here after my stay last year in November but I thought better late than never!. I stayed here back in November 2011 when I went to the Britney Spears gig at Metro Radio Arena and its a really nice Hostel. I didn't know what to expect when I arrived but it was really nice and I felt comfortable!. I'm not one for staying in strange places over night but I loved it here and the staff are really nice aswell, very welcoming!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Hi Callum_E

Thank you for the comments made in your review of your stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and we appeared to exceed your expectations of hostel accommodation.

Thanks again for your review and I hope you will return to Newcastle (and Euro Hostel) in the near future.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

It's a very good and clean hostel.
I had a private room with heating / condtioning system.
It's a 10 minutes walk from the railway station, 3 minutes walk from the city centre (the monument), the staff is very nice and decent.
The rooms are spacious and cleaned.
Only one problem : TV without remote.
anyway nice place.
I'd stay again

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Fede249
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2012

Hi Federico F

Thank you for taking the time to write a Tripadvisor review on your stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again and I hope you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2012 via mobile

Hotel staff very helpful, the room was a private although it contained 4 beds (2 bunks, the bottom of one was a double bed). The bedrooms have a plastic wet room shower like those found in many hotels, great power shower. Linin and towels provided, tv in room, very spacious. Lifts to all floors. Overall the hostel felt better than most hotels, which for £29 a night is great. A continental breakfast is included, toast coffee and cereal basically, not waffles cheese and cold meats! I paid £6.50 for the large cooked breakfast, awful. Scrambled eggs dry and crumbly, sausages like cardboard, bacon solid and dry, beans with a skin. How does anyone do such a bad job of an English breakfast?

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Sam W

Hello Sam W

Thanks very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was pleased to note that you seemed to enjoy your stay with us.

We are looking at making improvements to the full breakfast offering and I hope you will notice the improvements on your next stay with us.

Thanks once again for your comments.