“Recommend to everyone and anyone!”

Euro Hostel Newcastle
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Recommend to everyone and anyone!”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Recently stayed at the Euro Hostel for a short break away with my partner, even though its classed as a Hostel it's better than many budget hotels I've stayed in and much cheaper! You can either book a bed in a room and share with other people or like us we booked a room to ourselves for only £39!
The rooms are basic but clean but what more do you expect for the money you pay. We ate in the ''Warerooms'' on our first night as arrived quite late and again very reasonable with regards to price and quality, great atmosphere too and found we spent more time in here than we normally would in a hotel bar, and if you like me where your partner is a football fanatic, then they do half price pints until the first goal is scored!
Other facilities included a kitchen and laundry room, which we didnt use as the food was cheap enough anyway without having to walk to shops etc then having to cook your own.
Sevice from the staff was second to none, always a smile and they seemed to genuinly enjoy what they do. I asked where the best nightlife was and we were offered wristbands which gave us free entry and discounted drinks in various bars and clubs around newcastle inluding the ware rooms, wish i knew this sooner as could have saved money on the meal we had the first night...
Overall I would definately stay again, and great value for money for what you pay!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Hello Louise Y

I appreciate the time you've taken to write a review on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle and The Ware Rooms.

I was delighted to note that you seemed to enjoy every aspect of your trip and it was fantastic that the team seemed to have delivered a memorable stay for both your partner and yourself.

Thanks again for your comments and I do hope you will come and see us again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

A group of 10 of us stayed here recently for one night as we had planned to meet friends from the area!
We booked it because basically it was cheap at 20 quid each! It's not amazing but you need to remember it is a hostel not a hotel so don't expect amazing!
The rooms had windows thank god but they were fairly small so getting ready with 5 of you in there was a squeeze but we had our own bathroom and toilet so you can't complain!
The hostel seemed pretty clean so no issues there! They have a great bar in there but if our older if may be a bit noisy for you but not problem for us!
The food was pretty basic and I would never eat there again! They barely had a kitchen just an overused microwave and hot plate so any wedges were beyond soggy and mushy! Really not good!
Apart from that the hostel was great for the one night but I wouldn't have stayed longer and unfortunately one of our friend did have what seemed like many many bites all over her the next day so if that was due to the beds I can't say for sure but it certainly was a coincidence!

Hi Emma B

Thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

On the whole your group seemed to have enjoyed your stay with us and certainly enjoyed a great rate for your stay.

I will of course look into the points raised regarding our food offering and I hope you will notice an improvement on your next visit.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.
Bristol
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Although we only came to Newcastle for The Great North Run, and we decided to extend our stay to 3 days to visit the city, we were really surprised by the quality of the services we received. We do travel a lot and always use budget hotels and I can assure you that travelogue needs to rethink their marketing!!! Excellent value for money, very clean, amazing helpull and friendly staff, all together a great stress free stay. The hotel is very well positionned within the city centre and their is a NCP car park just next door. Not sure if we will be back as we were very desapointed by Newcastle itself but overall the hostel was great.

• Stayed September 2012
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
Hello Davidjp 1969

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to note you seemed to enjoy every aspect of your stay with us and we appeared to exceed your expectations.

Your comments are greatly appreciated and I do hope to see you again next year.

Thanks again
Kerry, Ireland
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I only returned home today, but felt compelled to write a review of this mess of a hostel as soon as possible in order to save someone else from suffering the same fate as we did. A number of reviews expand on what I will say, but here are the main points from our stay.

Firstly, I travelled with 6 other guys, and we were not looking for anything fancy, just a room to spend a few hours each night in.

The staff were beyond rude with the exception of one male member of reception and an middle-aged woman in the bar. I generally don't use names but the woman who claimed to be the bar manager, Toni, deserves special recognition. From the moment we arrived on friday evening, she disliked us without any obvious reason for doing so. We had a number of issues in the bar (During the day i.e. we were stone cold sober), one: One of the guys, upon ordering and half eating the microwaved mash and dodgy bangers, noticed a large hair in his meal. He told said manager, Toni, only to recieve "what is the hair from?" as the reply. Her solution to the problem was to offer my friend a free drink, which he refused, only to have it placed in front of him and she disappered.

Also on the subject of food, every meal seemed to be microwaved for hours to the point where it was inediable, esp the mash a.k.a. smash. They even messed up a simple toffee pudding! The guy who recieved the hair in his meal also got a hot/ice cold mix lasagne the previous evening, roasting on the outside, FROZEN on the inside.

Thankfully we didn't spend much time in the room, but the few hours we spent there were torture. NO WINDOW to begin with, broken AC, beds not made, four beds squashed into the smallest room the size of a wardrobe. If two guys stood in the space between the beds, the third and fourth guys had to open the room door and stand in the hallway, it was that small! Just to repeat, the beds were undone when we arrived, unacceptable.

Getting back to the staff. Toni, did not believe in treating us like customers, more like an inconvience. We were told that the residents bar stayed open til 5am, yet two of us were served at 4.30am, only for security to ask us to leave LITERALLY 1 minute later. We simply passed on that the reception staff had informed us that closing was 5am, but it mattered little to the ignorant security guys who seemed more interested in flirting with the childish staff that anything else. We left the bar shortly after 4.30am, careful not to ruin our 'realtionship' any further with manager Toni and her band of self obsessed co-workers. The following morning we asked another member of staff what time last orders was, and was told 5am. We left it slide.
Overall, there seemed to be a serious lack of authority over the staff, and most of them showed an obvious lack of pride in their work. Even ordering a coffee resulted in moans.

In my opinion, find someplace else. If a Hostel can't be bothered to provide simple services with even a hint of pleasantness from it's staff, what else can it do.

The worst place that I have ever stayed in, I feel sorry for the few decent staff in there, they are being painted with the same brush as the rest.

To any management reading this, I look forward to a reply, one without the perfected words, designed to throw blame from your establishment and paint us reviewers as "picky" or "oversensitive." Please do not copy and paste your replies from below.

End of rant.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Spell-it-out
Hello Spell-It-Out

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was very disappointed to read your comments and the fact that we seemed to have failed you in every aspect of your stay.

We will of course review your comments with the team and address all of your comments and complaints with the relevant personnel and their respective departments.

Your review of the hostel is very much appreciated and will hi-light areas of concern for us all.

Thank you once again for your response and I will endeavour to ensure a vastly improved performance should you reconsider your decision to stay with us again.

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Liked everything about this hostel... Rooms and bathrooms were clean, staff were very friendly and helpful... Breakfast was basic but nice!! Can't wait to go back! Big thanks to the girl behind reception Sunday night 02/09 who gave us the heads up to go to tup tup... Fantastic night! Also have to give the showers a.mention.. Powerful and never once ran out of hot water! The ware rooms bar is good for a drink too!! :-)

• Stayed August 2012
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Hello Waterfordgirl87

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

I was very please to see that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Little out of city centre hotel was quite clean. However the dorm room was very hot no window and thermostat did not work and was hot air blowing all night room was very small with 8 bunks cramed in I would not stop here agen not when you can get other hotels rooms ( private) for £19 mid week overall very disappointed.

2 Thank Iceycold
Paul S, Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Hello Icycold

Thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and found the door rooms to be too hot and small.

We are currently in the process of reviewing controls for the room temperatures.

Private rooms are available from £29 per night. These do provide more space and comfort should you prefer.

Thanks again for your comments.
Trim, Ireland
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Well I am just back from my two hard nights in the Euro Hostel Newcastle. To say I got no sleep in the two nights is an understatement. This is my 4th time in Newcastle normally staying over near central station.The lads booked Euro hostels for the supposed cheapness!!!!!! First thing we paid too much for this place but that was our choice so our fault!!! Ok bad points!!!! Firstly we were met with a less than friendly receptionist and told we had to hand over £30 deposit before check in cause we were a stag party. They tried getting £120 off us for 3 people arriving the next day!! That didn't happen!!! I only found one helpful staff member being luke the door man. Rooms are still like being in a furnace. Careful stepping out of the shower room with wet feet as I fell and damaged my back. One of our party lost his passport and after 1.5 hr looking for it all over the hostel and Newcastle and speaking with our embassy it was found behind the reception after the guy being asked to check there. Be warmed on some points one towel in our room for 3 people.We had to pay £1 each, breakfast finishes at 10 sharp don't look for cereal at 10:15 or you'll be told to buy brunch. Shower head holder still fall down.
Overall I am afraid to say the only really redeeming factor for euro hostels from a stag party point of view is the hidout across the road.
Did not enjoy our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tomas C
Hi Tomas

Thanks for taking the time to review your party's recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was disappointed to note that we appeared to fall short of our normally excellent standards and hope to clear up a couple of these issues.

Firstly, we do request a good behaviour bond from all groups staying with us. This is to ensure other guests are not disturbed and, provided there are no issues regarding damage or behaviour, the bond is returned at departure. This is outlined in the Group Booking terms and conditions and are issued to each group leader at the time of booking. I apologise that you were not made aware of this by your group leader.

The only lost passport reported during your weekend was discovered in The Ware Rooms toilets. After a little detective work, the passport was returned to a delighted gentleman in his room. The guest was so grateful he insisted on buying a bottle of wine as a thank you.

Additional towels are available on request from reception should you require surplus. There is a small charge per towel.

Breakfast times are stated at the time of check in and, like all other hotels and accommodation providers, we have to stop serving in order to prepare for lunch and bar service. Breakfast is available for a full three hours every day, between 0700 and 1000.

Thanks again for your comments.