“Excellent value for money!!”

Euro Hostel Newcastle
Reviewed 29 November 2012

i stayed here 24th - 26th november 2012 for a weekend away for my birthday with 2 friends. Only paid £20 each per night, very sceptical about staying at a hostel.
When we arrived, we were VERY suprised how central it was! literally a 2 minute walk from northumberland st (shopping) and loads of bars within walking distance. Quayside is also a 10 minute walk. I would never think of this place as a hostel i had in mind, it was just an amazing value hotel.
We had paid extra for a private room, which has en-suite facilities, 2 bunkbeds, tv and window that opens. I read previous reviews that rooms can get quite hot, i certainly not think this.
Only negatives i have is that the en-suite was smaller then one you would get in a caravan and can only fit 1 person in, and our room was right next to the lift and door so this could get pretty noisy.
Friendly staff and great facilities!
But overall i had an amazing experience here, and i have just booked to stay at the glasgow hostel. I wish Euro Hostel were all over the UK!!!

Room Tip: pay extra for private..
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Hello Ceri J

Many thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read your comments and that your party seemed to have enjoyed a great weekend.

Thanks also for your feedback on the ensuite bathrooms. We'll certainly bear the size in mind when we plan our future sites.

Thanks once again for your feedback and I hope you will come and see us again soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

As far as hostels are concerned, this place is very nice. Though this was a mistake-booking ("hostel" was mistaken for "hotel"), it wasn't too bad at all. The building and all of the furnishings seemed new or newly-renovated, everything was clean and well-lit, though our room did not have a window, which I found very strange and made for pretty stuffy air (however a fan was provided in the room). The shower was nice and hot and the shower head was adjustable and worked well. The mattresses were good and we slept well, though there were some parties of younger kids coming in around 4am who woke us up for a bit. All in all, it was a very nice place, good location and GREAT if you're expecting a hostel. Just ok if you're expecting a hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a window! Was strange and stuffy having a room without one.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Hello AM S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Tripadvisor on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was pleased to note that you seemed to enjoy your stay with us, despite originally looking fro hotel accommodation.

I do hope you will consider staying with us again on your next visit to the area.

Thanks once again for your comments

Reviewed 18 November 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on a stag do. With 8 to a room, and £30 a night you know it's not going to have much to live up to and it done the job. Rooms are clean and functional. Showers were actually very good. Staff were friendly and helpful enough. I should have paid heed to the other reports on the cooked breakfast - it's truly awful. Conversely, the selection of cereals, toast and spreads etc was excellent and the pre-paid card which entitled me to my second cooked breakfast now resides in my wallet as a memento of a mad weekend.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Hello Se7enty2wo

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

Overall you appeared to have enjoyed your stay with us (apart from the cooked breakfast).

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed here for a night on a visit up north and found the Hostel to be quite pleasant. The receptionist greeted me with a smile and made me feel very welcome to begin with, and the location of the Hostel is very good- in the centre of the city without being on a main road.

The room was a little strange in that there were two bunk beds all for me, so I took the double bottom bunk and found it clean and comfortable. The room was narrow and quite small so probably would have been rather cramped if at full capacity, but was more than enough for myself for one night. A tall, large window let plenty of light in and although my room faced the street, it was very quiet, with no disturbances from either outside or inside.

The bathroom was compact but clean. The shower worked well and was nice and warm, and in general I felt comfortable. I did not have the breakfast the next morning due to time constraints, but even without breakfast I thought this was all very good value for money.

The reason why I have not given the Hostel five out of five is because some maintenance needed to be done in the room. One of the individual lights facing towards each bunk bed was hanging by a wire and looked a little dodgy, the toilet had to be coerced into flushing, and the shower head holder was broken. However, unlike most reviewers, I had no problem with the heating and found it perfectly suitable.

All in all, it's okay for a short amount of time and with not too many people occupying the rooms. It's very much a case of getting what you pay for, and for me, having never visited Newcastle before and going by myself, the great location particularly made it worthwhile.

Room Tip: I've heard that some of the rooms do not have windows. My room did, but without one it would be...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

Hello Ilacerta

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review on your recent stay at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. Your feedback is very important to our business and I will ensure to pass your comments onto the rest of the team.

Thanks again and I sincerely hope you will come and see us again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

I stayed for one night mid week and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. At £16 including breakfast it was excellent value. The Ware Room Bar is a great place to hang out and the food and drinks are reasonably priced. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for cheap and cheerful.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2012

Hi Rachel

Thanks for taking the time to write your review on Euro Hostel Newcastle after your recent stay.

I was delighted to see you enjoyed your time with us and the Hostel seemed to exceed your expectations.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Euro Hostel on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

Just stayed at Newcastle Euro Hostel for one night, midweek.

Found it great value for money, having booked a twin room, and was given a family room. Would have found the room a bit claustraphobic with 5 adults! Rooms were clean and tidy, we did notice that a few of the corridor walls had been patched with plaster looked liked they were ready for a paint.

The instructions on the website for finding the hostel were not helpful as they were aimed at the walker and not the driver. The location was fine for the city centre and quayside, a bit of a walk from the Arena, but did not feel unsafe walking back late at night. Hopefully the derelict building leading to the hostel will soon be updated as they did not look welcoming.

Did return to find bar locked at 11.45pm, having read that it was open to 5am, and was looking forward to a cocktail pitcher, so retired to room.

Would stay again and recommend to young at heart friends who only need a clean bed for a night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Hello carbil

Thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

On the whole it would appear that you enjoyed your time in Newcastle and your stay with us.

At present, the late bar closing times are scheduled for Fridays and Saturdays only. Through the week we tend to operate standard pub hours.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Recently stayed at the Euro Hostel for a short break away with my partner, even though its classed as a Hostel it's better than many budget hotels I've stayed in and much cheaper! You can either book a bed in a room and share with other people or like us we booked a room to ourselves for only £39!
The rooms are basic but clean but what more do you expect for the money you pay. We ate in the ''Warerooms'' on our first night as arrived quite late and again very reasonable with regards to price and quality, great atmosphere too and found we spent more time in here than we normally would in a hotel bar, and if you like me where your partner is a football fanatic, then they do half price pints until the first goal is scored!
Other facilities included a kitchen and laundry room, which we didnt use as the food was cheap enough anyway without having to walk to shops etc then having to cook your own.
Sevice from the staff was second to none, always a smile and they seemed to genuinly enjoy what they do. I asked where the best nightlife was and we were offered wristbands which gave us free entry and discounted drinks in various bars and clubs around newcastle inluding the ware rooms, wish i knew this sooner as could have saved money on the meal we had the first night...
Overall I would definately stay again, and great value for money for what you pay!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Hello Louise Y

I appreciate the time you've taken to write a review on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle and The Ware Rooms.

I was delighted to note that you seemed to enjoy every aspect of your trip and it was fantastic that the team seemed to have delivered a memorable stay for both your partner and yourself.

Thanks again for your comments and I do hope you will come and see us again very soon.