“Average”

Euro Hostel Newcastle
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Came down to Newcastle for a couple of nights out, location was perfect (10 mins walk from train station/city centre). We requested a 5 person room, we were given a room with 8 beds (4 sets of bunk beds) which didn't leave much space at all. Room came with 2 shower rooms and 2 toilets which were great. The room didn't have any windows or air-con which meant it was VERY warm, not what you want after a night out!
We decided to purchase the cooked breakfast option for both mornings (sat & sun) for £4 each. On Saturday morning our breakfast was horrendous; rubbery scrambled eggs, sausage and bacon were disgusting. It was as if the whole thing was microwaved. We asked for a refund for Sunday's breakfast which we were given without any issues, the staff didn't seem surprised at all!
Overall, the hostel served a purpose. The staff were brilliant, it's a shame that the sweat-box bedroom and disgusting breakfast let the Euro Hostel down.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with windows!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Hello Mooch84

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review on your recent stay with us @Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was disappointed to note that you did not enjoy certain aspects of your stay, namely the cooked breakfast on offer in The Ware Rooms. We have already made improvements to our complimentary continental offering and received some fantastic feedback from guests.

We will of course endeavour to make the same improvements to our cooked breakfast.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope we will see you again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tortona, Italy
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,284 helpful votes
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Arrived in Newcastle by bus in the late evening it was a bit 'hard to find this hostel in the deserted streets of the city center.
The hostel is great indeed immense, a quick check-in and straight to get the elevator that leads me to my assigned room.
For me and my friend a double deck bed, I think it is one of the largest and most spacious I've ever seen, it seemed almost a queen bed, a really comfy bed and spacious room and an equally large, the bathroom is also spacious and all impeccably clean.
The courtesy of the staff and the room quality left me very satisfied.
The next morning when I woke up I reached the ground floor the dining room where we had breakfast included in the price.
This was a large bar area with several large wooden tables, here the staff prepared a sort of buffet breakfast, I modestly appreciated the binge early in the morning.
All in all I was pleased with this hostel is for cleaning and for the courtesy of the staff and the organization also I would highly recommend this hostel, very nice.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Hello Magellano81

Thank you very much for providing a review on your recent stay with us @Euro Hostel Newcastle.

Both the team and I were delighted to read your comments and you appear to have enjoyed every element of your stay.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Euro Hostel in the very near future.
Campi Bisenzio, Toscana, Italy
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We were 12 people and we all thought that the hostel was great! Nice, clean, friendly and right in the center of the city! The best thing is that all the big dorm have their own bathroom with toilet and shower. I found very good also the breakfast which is at buffet and you can take as much as you want of bread, jam, yogurt, cereals, juice and coffee!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sara F
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Hello Sara F

Many thanks for your wonderful review of Euro Hostel Newcastle.

The team and I were very happy to see your fantastic feedback and that your group enjoyed their stay with us in Newcastle.

It was great so see that you enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast so much. We have recently improved the selection available to all residents.

Thanks again for your kind words and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Euro Hostel in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed here in late March at the end of a bit of a Northern tour, so we were pleased to be able to have a bit of a relax in our nice room in Newcastle. The hostel staff were great and the breakfast was really good. We had a T.V in our room which was a massive plus. The only downside of this place was the general cleanliness - there were hairs in the beds, the walls were very dirty and the attached bathroom was a bit yuck. Nothing we couldn't handle and we really enjoyed staying here. Although we were all woken up by people being very loud in the hallway - not too unusual but it would've been nice if this was more closely policed.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Hello Caitlin S

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

Whilst I was delighted to see you enjoyed your stay with us, I was most concerned to note your comments on the cleanliness of our site.

We have already taken corrective action on the matters you have raised and I hope you will notice a marked improvement on your next stay with us.

Thanks again for your comments.
Longwood, Meath, Ireland
Reviewed 27 May 2013

16 of us stayed here for a Hen weekend. Great value, great service, staff were lovely, great location, rooms were basic but had everything you could need. I would definately reccomend this hostel for weekends away

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ailish W
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Hello Ailish W

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide a review for Tripadvisor on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to read that your party had enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope we will see you again soon. Thanks again for your comments.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed in the Euro Hostel for 2 nights in Nov with 3 girl friends.

Our room consisted of 2 bunk beds (1 of which was one of those where the bottom bunk is a double bed and the top a single) & a private bathroom. The room was small as was the bathroom (shower over the toilet type) but in all honesty I didn't feel we were on top of each other, even getting ready to go out we had plenty of room to potter around each other. Only thing we found a problem was that there was only 1 mirror in the room (full length thou) and only 1 plug (a double) but still a problem for 4 girls getting ready for a night out wanting to plug in hairdryers, straighteners, curling wands, phone chargers & the all important stereo lol. So as a tip for hen parties etc take an extension cable and some mirrors!!

The room and bathroom were very clean & the beds were extremely comfy. The hotel its self had a bar which wasn't too expensive, again very clean- toilets especially. The food was lovely- breakfast is a buffet type event. We had a continental breakfast on the Saturday which was filling, but paid for the full English Sunday and the was lush. We also had lunch in the bar Saturday and I don't think any of us could finish what was on our plates and I for one really enjoyed my steak pie :)

The staff (bar & reception) were very polite & helpful. We asked the bar staff the best bars to go to & they wrote us a list with directions as well as a taxi number & reception offered to order the taxi for us. Saturday night we were off to the Adonis/Liquid & Envy & asked the reception staff to order us another taxi only to be told we didn't need 1 as the club was literally at the top of the street (brilliant) & at silly o'clock Sunday morning when we rolled up very drunk with beer munchys the reception guys dug us out a local take away menu lol

Hotel was very secure, we were given a swipe card to get into the hotel after hours & into the lifts.
Cleaning staff wont get into the lifts with you they let you go first and they wait which I found very polite.

Car part (which hotel gives you a ticket for so you get free parking) is literally around the side of the hotel and is 1 of those with the barriers & a little old man sat in the booth (felt at ease leaving my pride of joy there over the weekend lol) Over all 10/10, if we ever go back to Newcastle I wouldn't stay anywhere else but here :)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mummybee1212
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
Hello Mummybee1212

Thank you so much for your recent review on Euro Hostel Newcastle.

The team and I were absolutely delighted to read such positive comments and it seemed that your group enjoyed every aspect of your stay in Newcastle.

Thanks again for your review and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to Euro Hostel Newcastle in the very near future.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here, very basic. I stayed in a single room, the room was fine itself, painted with the ubiquitous "trendy" colours but overall a little worse for ware but that's to be expected in a hostel, the bed was quite comfy the linen soft and clean i actually had a really great sleep here but bear in mind I stayed on a Monday night. The bizarre prefabricated plastic bathroom lets it down, a bit like being in what I imagine the bathrooms on a space shuttle would resemble! This also created horrible squeaky noises from the adjacent room. I arrived earlier than expected from a long trip, and was told I could'nt check in at the earlier time of 12pm even though on the website it says you can for 3pounds....Beats me why they would put that on the website? a bizzare occurrence at breakfast: the breakfast is cereal, toast and coffee.. thats fine your standard continental, but when i poured the milk into the bowl and into my coffee it was sour and curdled!!! I dont mind staying in basic accomodation, but they need to get those basics right, it doesnt count as breakfast included if you couldnt eat it... Overall the attitude was poor and atmosphere not very welcoming for a hostel environment.. If I ever go back to Newcastle I would be willing to spend a little extra not to stay here. Only positive really was its location, for art goers its short walk to the BALTIC MIll and around the corner to BALTIC 39!

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank StephHough
Hello StephHough

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle on your recent stay with us.

I was very disappointed to read your comments and feedback, particularly those on our breakfast offering.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the experience. We will of course attempt to address your criticisms with immediate effect.

Thanks again for taking the time to review Euro Hostel. Your feedback has been invaluable.

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels