“Unpleasant staff”

Euro Hostel Newcastle
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Have stopped here before and as always been ok apart from the heating problem that they must be aware of but do nothing !!!! rooms are unbearably hot !!!!! on arrival on this's occasion Staff where very unfriendly and made me feel un - welcome and gave the impression they did not want to be their. Toilets wher also not very clean and no toilet brush !!! ???

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Hello Iceycold

Thank you for taking the time to supply a review on Euro Hostel Newcastle and your most recent stay with us.

It was very disappointing to read your feedback on our reception team. I have forwarded your comments onto the front desk team and I am sure you will notice a huge improvement should you return.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Really enjoyed my stay here at Euro Hostel Newcastle!
The staff were absolutely fantastic from start to finish, really helpful in any way they could be (even when i arrived at 3am there was a friendly face greeting me).
Great place to meet other people where you use it as a hotel or hostel (i personally stayed in an 8 bed dorm, which was great!!)
The ware rooms, bar area in the hostel (also open to the public) had a great atmosphere and a great opportunity to meet others!
There were many stag do's being held when i stayed there and 1 hen party, i didn't mind this as i like to have fun and go out, although they did get a little noisy and disrespectful with being noisy in the rooms (staff sorted this out very efficiently!) so if you don't like noise and drunk people it may no be the place for you, then again Newcastle in general probably wouldn't be the right place for you to visit.
Anyone who wants to have some fun, go out, have a few drinks and a laugh, this hostel/hotel would be perfect for you!

Room Tip: phone up if you have any mobility restrictions/requirements I'm in a wheelchair,but the hostel...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Hello Nicole_Martine

Many thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle on its facilities and also providing such an accurate account of the tourism trade to Newcastle as a city!

Your comments were very much appreciated by the team and myself and it was fantastic that you were able to provide a review on our accessibility and facilities.

Prior to the opening of the site, much consideration was given to the design and the inclusion of as many features as possible to assist our customers with restricted / limited mobility.

It was brilliant to hear such positive feedback.

Thanks very much for your comments and I hope you will visit Newcastle (and Euro Hostel!) again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

The bathroom was very dirty. The location is not strategic as well, a little hidden and it took me a while to find it. Moreover, it was quite isolated and creepy. However, staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013

Hi Paige Y

Thanks for your review on Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I must admit to being a little bemused on your comments regarding our location as 'not strategic' and 'isolated'.

Euro Hostel Newcastle is based in the heart of Newcastle City Centre less than three minutes walk from two Metro Stations, Eldon Square Shopping Centre and Northumberland Street - we couldn't be more central.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I enjoyed my staying at EuroHostel NCL. The rooms were rather clean, although not all rooms have windows.
Sometimes, when there are groups of students it is difficult to sleep at night!!!
The bar is nice and the staff very polite.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Hi Carlosino

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review for Tripadvisor on your recent experience in Newcastle with Euro Hostel.

We always ensure that we provide the cheapest city centre accommodation in Newcastle and it was great to note that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope you will come and see us again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

There were drunk guys and girls coming in between 2am-5am which meant I had no sleep Friday night and this resulted in me going to my friends party (the reason I was in Newcastle) on Saturday night feeling awful and extremely tired. I cannot blame the hostel and staff did come and tell them to be quiet. I just wonder if their room was charged for the disturbance.

The staff welcomed me very professionally when I arrived. The bunk beds all had clean pillows and bedding. The room was hot which made sleeping difficult even before the drunk people came in at 2am.

The main complaint would be the shower in room 101. The plug was full of hair and causing the shower to fill up very quickly and when a couple of girls had showers in the morning the bedroom flooded. I tried lifting the plug to allow water to drain but it was slimy. The bottom of the shower curtain was yellow. These are just small things that really don't take much maintenance but at Euro Hostel budget seems to equal sub standard. The cleaning staff mopped up the wetness but made no further effort to resolve the drainage issue.

I didn't even have a shower on the day I left because it wasn't worth the trouble.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Gemma G

Thanks for your review on the facilities available at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was disappointed to note that a couple of issues had affected your stay with us. Please rest assured that corrective action has already been taken regarding the showers and, should you choose to visit us again, I am sure you will see the improvements.

As you can appreciate it is difficult to control the behaviour of other customers and, despite the best efforts of our night reception team, this is not always possible. We have to rely on our customers respecting the fact that there are other guests wishing to rest.

Thanks again for your comments and feedback.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

The hostel was fantastic - one of the best I have experienced in nine years of staying at hostels. The rooms were clean and spacious, as were the bathrooms. The beds were comfortable and security was great with key card entry into all rooms. There is also a decent kitchen and chill-out room with bean bags. The staff at the hostel reception were so friendly and helpful and they went out of their way to ensure I felt at home and did so with a smile. However, the experience was spoiled by poor customer service at the bar on the final day of my stay. Essentially, they offer breakfast for GBP3.00 if you book it the night before BUT BEWARE they will try to keep your money if you arrive even a few minutes after 10am. Also, the price lists vary from the prices they actually charge at the bar. One staff member, Siobhan, was shocking rude when I raised the issue of breakfast with her. I had to insist on a refund in order to get it. Then, when she attempted to overcharge me for a coffee, she huffed and puffed when i raised it as an issue. Then another member of the bar staff overcharged me for my main meal and refused to rectify it after the fact. Then they punished me by giving me a shockingly small portion of curry. Essentially, stay at the hostel by all means but there are better places to eat and drink in Newcastle.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Hello limest

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us but also disappointed to hear about your experience on the final day whilst awaiting to depart.

It was particularly surprising as the team member mentioned has been with us for some considerable time and is regularly complimented by our customers.

As least I can out your mind at rest regarding your 'punishment' of a small portion of curry - the items on our menu are portioned prior to delivery.

Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The housekeeping service was very prro. The room was dirty and the only cleaning they did was removing the rubbish in the bins. We reported that to reception and no answer was given to us. We were really disappointed.
Also, the breakfast was: coffee, milk, water and bread (and a couple things more). We had to go to a supermarket and buy some ham (in order to make a sandwich). If you want a 'proper' breakfast, you have to pay an extra (expensive, by the way).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Hi Aierim R

Thanks for providing a review on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was disappointed that some aspects of your stay were not up to our usual standards, in particular the cleanliness of your rooms.

With regards to breakfast however, we offer an extensive continental offering that includes fresh fruit, assorted muffins, assorted yoghurts, fruit juices, a minimum of four types of cereal, toast and preserves, tea and coffee, all of which is unlimited during breakfast operating hours.

Its true that a cooked breakfast is available at a small charge. This is £3.00 if booked the night before. We don't charge for it or assume all our customers will require it there ensuring we remain true to our belief that with Euro Hostel you can budget stay - your way.

Thanks again for your comments.