“Value for money in top location”

Euro Hostel Newcastle
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The hostel is perfectly located, in the center of town. Booked a 3 person room, got a four person room. Beds were comfortable, the room was clean, and the shower/toilet unit was basic but fine. We spend some time in the bar, which at the time wasn't very busy, but the atmosphere was good. Most people staying here seem to be young people coming to enjoy Newcastle's nightlife, so it might be a bit noisy when the party people return at night. As we were here for the some reason, for us it wasn't a problem. All in all a pleasent stay in a decent hostel!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Hello Dutch JC

Many thanks for supplying a review on your recent experience whilst sating with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and your party joined in with the lively atmosphere of the business.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

The Euro Hostel has a new (3 weeks old) 14 dorm room downstairs that we were most impressed with. It's out of the way from the rest of the hostel which made you feel as if you'd hired a house out to yourselves, with the added benefit that all the main facilities were just one floor away. This dorm room had it's own well decorated social area that could fit 10 people, with the dorm room and showers off to the side of this room (with a good soundproofing door between them). The dorm room was very spacious and you didn't feel as if you were ever on top of one another.

This whole area had it's own key card access (so both secure and private) and two decent showers, 3 toilets within this area was very convenient. This would be ideal for a group on a school trip or a sports team. Likewise, I would be happy to book an individual bed in this room. Special thanks to Eileen on reception who went out of her way in organising this for us. Cheers

Room Tip: This room is situated in the basement but you wouldn't know this as it's extremely light and...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Keenskier600

Thank you for providing a review on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

The team and I were delighted to read your comments particularly as you were one of the first guests to stay in our 'Bunkalow'.

After spending time researching and planning our newest dorm, it was fantastic to see your feedback and endorsement on the accommodation and facilities within.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Newcastle.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

My friends and stayed in the hotel at the start of our Hadrian Wall. The hotel is well located in the center of the city at walking distance of a lot of pubs and restaurants.
The reception staff is friendly, but it felt like they have their story fprepared when they find out you're going to do the Hadrian Walk.
Like all other Euro hostels, the rooms have basic accomodation, nothing exceptional. But for a summer evening, the room felt pretty cold. When checking in, ask for a room at the end of the hall. People tend to return late and can be quite noisy.
The bar of the hotel serves good coffee but is terrible when it comes to whiskey.
Unfortunately we left too early to enjoy breakfast. They^re not able to prepare breakfast before 06.00.

Room Tip: When checking in, ask for a room at the end of the hall. People tend to return late and can be quite...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Hello Nico S

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your recent experience whilst staying at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was pleased to note that, on the whole, you seemed to enjoy staying with us and I promise that The Ware Rooms will improve the selection of whiskies should you return!

Thank again for your feedback.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

*Prologue*

On the 7th of October I found myself embarking on one of the greatest journeys of my life time. The board of colo-rectal surgeons had called a six week council to further educate the colo-rectal brothers in the art of digital rectal examination. For this six weeks I needed shelter, running water and somewhere to kick back and enjoy a rekorderlig in the evenings. My search was long and hard but advise of senior brothers and sleepless nights with bleeding fingers from trawling through the Tyne and Wear A-Z road atlas, I knew the euro hostel was the place to be.

*On Arrival*

After a shakey train journey through some of the old mining towns, it was dusk when I arrived in the toon. Strange accents and the aroma of steak bake filled the cold northern air. Rather than risk a walk in this foreign envioronment, I jumped in a taxi cab and continued to destination euro hostel.

Stepping out of the taxi, the face of the hostel was warm and welcoming. The pinky purples tones of the 12ft EURO sign were complimented perfectly by the Indigo glow of the neighboring establishment 'For Your Eyes Only' (FYEO for short). I proceeded on through the front doors to reception where I was greeted by a red haired godess.

'Hello' she said,
'Hello' I said,
'Would you like to check in?' she said,
'I would' I said.

The incredible banter continued like this for some time. I was in the 6 yard box..he shoots...SAVED. The goal keeper in question was a second worker, 'I WANT FRUITWINDERS, I HAVE A CRAVING FOR FRUITWINDERS' she exclaimed. Very confused this somewhat disrupted my flow, the spark had gone and I quickly proceeded to my room.

*ROOM 306*

After a quick ride up to the 3rd floor on schlindler's lift and a few paces along the burgandy stained carpet, I was at my destination, Room 306. As I pushed down the handle and stepped across the threshold I greeted by two pronged attack of heat and humidity. Now i've always dreamt of having a sauna in my home, but never considered having a sauna as a home. As I mopped my brow, I tried to establish the cause of such tropical conditions. After a good sweep of the room I came to the conclusion the lack of window may have been a strong contributory factor.

Aside from the intense heat, absence of light, accompanied some noisy neighbours (room 305), the room was brilliant. The lack of remote made viewing of television a far more interactive experience and the AWOL showercurtain made passing a bowel movement and having a wash into a single slick procedure.

*THE MORNING AFTER THE NIGHT BEFORE*

Awaking to the hostel provided alarm clock of 'housekeeping', I sat up in bed, hitting my head on the bunk above. The distance between the bunks was similar to that of an iron maiden, however with incidence of serious bunk ascending or descending injuries on rise in the UK, this is somewhat understandable.

Breakfast was hosted in the hostel bar 'The ware rooms', whoms rustic decor brought an element of charm to the first meal of the day. The breakfast included with the room was about as continental as an aunt bessie's yorkshire, with a choice of: rice crispies, wheatabix, bran flakes, oats, toast or yoghurt. Fruit on offer included apples and muffins made up dessert. The toaster was extremely unpredictable- 1 trip around the toasting conveyor left toast warm and chewy; 2 trips turning the bread a very dark shade of brown, allowing one to atleast pretend you had been provided with nutella as toast topper.

*A HEART TO START*

The red goddess' heart wasn't the only one I'd take during my stay at eurohostel. Between five and seven pm happy hour (because geordie hours are twice as long) dawned upon the Ware Rooms. The fate of drinks discounts were put into the hands of a pack of cards that could make or break the plans for the evening ahead. I went to the bar and ordered my rather manly mango and raspberry rekordelig cider, the pressure was on... Joe reached for the pack of cards from behind the bar and proceeded to shuffle them like a seasoned poker dealer. As he spread the deck with his delicate fingers, my hand moved closer trembling in fear and anticipation. The room was reticent, many onlookers couldn't bear to watch. As clamming paws grasped a card I knew there was no turning back, I pulled it out.... THE CROWD ERUPTED, friends and strangers came to pat me on the back and shake my hand, I had selected a heart!! Joe bowed gracefully and acknowledged the accomplishment, the rekordlig was free, the night was off to a flyer.

to be continued...

Room Tip: 306, only room to be in. All the rest have windows.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Sam T

Hi Sam T

Well, where do I begin?

Thanks very much (I think) for your review on your stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

And thank you for including so much detail in your account. It has certainly provided us with much food for thought.

I hope you will come and see us again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Have stopped here before and as always been ok apart from the heating problem that they must be aware of but do nothing !!!! rooms are unbearably hot !!!!! on arrival on this's occasion Staff where very unfriendly and made me feel un - welcome and gave the impression they did not want to be their. Toilets wher also not very clean and no toilet brush !!! ???

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hello Iceycold

Thank you for taking the time to supply a review on Euro Hostel Newcastle and your most recent stay with us.

It was very disappointing to read your feedback on our reception team. I have forwarded your comments onto the front desk team and I am sure you will notice a huge improvement should you return.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Really enjoyed my stay here at Euro Hostel Newcastle!
The staff were absolutely fantastic from start to finish, really helpful in any way they could be (even when i arrived at 3am there was a friendly face greeting me).
Great place to meet other people where you use it as a hotel or hostel (i personally stayed in an 8 bed dorm, which was great!!)
The ware rooms, bar area in the hostel (also open to the public) had a great atmosphere and a great opportunity to meet others!
There were many stag do's being held when i stayed there and 1 hen party, i didn't mind this as i like to have fun and go out, although they did get a little noisy and disrespectful with being noisy in the rooms (staff sorted this out very efficiently!) so if you don't like noise and drunk people it may no be the place for you, then again Newcastle in general probably wouldn't be the right place for you to visit.
Anyone who wants to have some fun, go out, have a few drinks and a laugh, this hostel/hotel would be perfect for you!

Room Tip: phone up if you have any mobility restrictions/requirements I'm in a wheelchair,but the hostel...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Hello Nicole_Martine

Many thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle on its facilities and also providing such an accurate account of the tourism trade to Newcastle as a city!

Your comments were very much appreciated by the team and myself and it was fantastic that you were able to provide a review on our accessibility and facilities.

Prior to the opening of the site, much consideration was given to the design and the inclusion of as many features as possible to assist our customers with restricted / limited mobility.

It was brilliant to hear such positive feedback.

Thanks very much for your comments and I hope you will visit Newcastle (and Euro Hostel!) again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

The bathroom was very dirty. The location is not strategic as well, a little hidden and it took me a while to find it. Moreover, it was quite isolated and creepy. However, staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013

Hi Paige Y

Thanks for your review on Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I must admit to being a little bemused on your comments regarding our location as 'not strategic' and 'isolated'.

Euro Hostel Newcastle is based in the heart of Newcastle City Centre less than three minutes walk from two Metro Stations, Eldon Square Shopping Centre and Northumberland Street - we couldn't be more central.

Thanks again for your feedback.