“Fantastic Treat Away”
Review of Jesmond Dene House

Jesmond Dene House
“Fantastic Treat Away”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here in January. I really couldn't fault the service, staff or the hotel.

On check in we were greeted by Stephen, who was very friendly and chatty; straight away a great impression.

Our room was in the eaves of the building (3rd floor) which is accessed by a lift (or stairs for the more energetic!) to the 2nd floor and then a short flight of stairs (shared by one other room). The room was great; lots of space, nicely equipped with all the usual modcons and an impressive bathroom. You could tell a lot of thought had gone into each and every item in the room. I was very impressed that there was a corkscrew/bottle opener - something which can be easily forgotten. The toiletries were great and plentifull! The fresh fruit and milk were also a nice little touch.

We also had an amazing dinner in the restaurant (see separate review) and breakfast the next morning was unbelievable. We were seated in the Garden Room; a beautiful little conservatory overlooking the hotel gardens. I had full cooked breakfast with lots of extra goodies from the separate continental buffet. My girlfriend had eggs benedict which were apparently the best she'd ever had! We were served by Lina and Jing, again two very friendly and helpful staff members.

I would definitely stay again and I will be recommending this little gem to everyone I know!

• Stayed January 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
North West
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I booked a weekend away with my partner at Jesmond Dene House, a hotel that I have always wanted to stay at. It exceeded all our expectations - the hotel itself is wonderfully relaxing, the food superb, the bed really comfortable & the bathroom a delight. But out of everything the best thing was being made to feel that we were welcomed as valued individuals. The staff were really friendly & welcoming. And I loved having a teapot in my room to make tea (& eat the rather yummy biscuits).

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I had no idea this was number 1 for hotels in Newcastle but it is deserved. The place exudes comfort and has a lovely welcoming feel. We hosted a corporate dinner and were provided with a private room that seats around 12-15 people. The service is second to none without being over-facing, the food was exceptional and the location is nicely tucked away offering intimate privacy but not being too far (in a taxi) from the high life if you want it.

My only slight quibble was that my room was very small for £120, a little hot (even in February) and looked out onto a wall which certainly wasn't the view I was expecting for the price. Had I been on a romantic weekend I would have been very disappointed, particularly as my colleague's room across the hall was twice the size. Being on business I appreciated the free wireless (I wish all hotels offered this as, to my mind, it has become as basic as towels) but was surprised to find a £16 surcharge for breakfast. Again, I think it should have been included for that price.

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed my night in the Jesmond Dene and may well return privately. A little pricey but it certainly lives up to its TripAdvisor number 1 status.

Room Tip: Rooms sizes obviously vary considerably - if it matters to you, or you're checking in as a coupl...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Rupert C
Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I booked a jazz supper for myself and for my wife as it was her birthday and decided to stay the evening rather than pay for a taxi home – some 30 miles away.
We arrived late afternoon and were checked in to a lovely room (4) which overlooked the grounds and a bit of Jesmond Dene. The room was a good size with bathroom that included a walk-in shower and a nice bath.
Before changing for dinner we decided we would nip down to the bar for a drink. Though not slow we felt the service could have been a little quicker and wondered whether this was due to the room also catering for those have a later afternoon tea.
After changing we headed for our Jazz Supper which we decided to precede with a cocktail – by the looks of it a quite popular option. We were then taken to our table next to the dance floor/’stage’ where we served with a very good meal and fine wine; during which we were serenaded by the Paul James band along with guest singer (who’s name unfortunately has slipped my mind). A quick interlude and then more crooning; and dancing by a few of the diners.
In the morning we headed for a delightful and relaxing breakfast in the Garden Room before checking out.

Altogether – a very pleasant evening…

Room Tip: Room 4 - overlooking the dene and with the hushed sounds of the river to send one to sleep (assuming...
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed here for one night late feb and had the tasting menu- amazing. In all we got through 8 courses of superb fayre, served in a friendly manner.
A nice touch was the escort to our room on booking in instead of being pointed down to the lifts like in most hotels.
Our room was beautifull , cozy and really quiet. Despite a wedding reception being held the hotel seemed a tranquil oasis of calm even at eleven pm.
Many thanks to all the staff for making our night so memorable.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Ronwx
Durham, England
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My fiance and I stayed at Jesmond Dene House as a treat from me to celebrate our engagement after it was recommended to us by a friend. We think the hotel is in lovely surroundings, lots of walks and stream nearby.

We arrived an hour before check in on the off chance we'd be able to check in early and were informed by a very friendly young man on the desk that as check in wasn't til 3, our room wasn't ready but he would get housekeeping to make it top priority. We were showed into the bar where we had a drink and were showed to our room 10 minutes later.

We were directed down a long corridor, past the kitchen and restaurant to the stairs, I'm very glad we weren't in a ground floor room. The stair case is wide and over looked by a floor to ceiling window. I think the artwork requires a certain, unusual taste (not mine) and I can imagine that someone older or more reserved, might be a little put off, thankfully though this artwork isn't continued inside the rooms.

Our room was beautiful, really, really lovely! I'd seen some photos online of the rooms and was really looking forward to seeing which one we had and I wasn't disappointed. Room 20 is on the second floor and is on the gable end. It was a little smaller than I expected but perfectly fine for two. There was a very picturesque "patio" door which opened onto a small balcony. This overlooked trees and a small stream and we could also hear a waterfall.There was a lovey little seating area in the bay of the patio door which served itself as a lovely reading area. There is also a large window on the adjoining wall, making the rom very light. The mini bar was very well stocked, there was a good selection of snacks and drinks. We found it a bit disappointing that there was only teas and coffee, a hot chocolate sachet or two would certainly have been appreciated.

The bathroom was AMAZING! No exaggeration, it was my idea of the perfect bathroom. The bath was HUGE and was beneath another floor to ceiling window. There was a walk in shower/wetroom and a mirror over the sink which covered the enitre wall. The bath products were gorgeous, we particularly liked the pink grapefruit soap and the mandarin body lotion. One small thing, I thought the sink was fairly low, not too bad when washing your hands but I had to bend pretty low to wash my face.

We only had a couple of small niggles and they are as such; The room was very hot, I imagine there are people who leave their heating on all night but we don't and I woke up a few times during the night because of this. I didn't think to look and see if there was a thermostat (my friend told me there probably was..) so if you stay here, maybe ask at reception. I also thought that the bedding could have been a little bit nicer. They seem to have to gone to a lot of effort to make things as luxurious and lovely as possible so why stop at the bedding. I also thought the bed was a little hard. I think for the price (we actually got quite a reasonable price compared to some of those I've seen on here) of £120 room only, you expect an excellent nights sleep and I'd say ours was average. It was a shame as I loved the hotel and the room and if these things had been right, it would have been perfect.

All in all, a perfectly pleasant stay, I would definitely return and recommend this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Superior Doule and from the pictures I've seen, they're worth the extra money...
1 Thank strawberryminx
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This really is a beautiful hotel. Stylish, comfortable and welcoming. We stayed for 3 nights whilst attending a friend's wedding that was taking place there. The food was absolutely delicious and I could have stayed all day eating breakfast, there really was so much choice! The building is lovely and hasn't been messed around with too much, you did feel you were staying in a country house. The service was very good, with a great bunch of staff who were all really helpful. It isn't cheap, but that is reflected in what you get for your money. An enjoyable stay!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends