“lovely setting for a short stay”
Review of Jesmond Dene House

Jesmond Dene House
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We recently had a one-night stay here, in rooms 3 and 4. The hotel was lovely, and all the staff we spoke with were very nice. Our rooms were nicely appointed, with a bowl of fresh fruit awaiting us. Ours looked out over trees, and I could hear the waterfall nearby. We missed tea time, but had a very tasty dinner in the restaurant that night, and a great breakfast the next morning. I would have liked to be able to stay longer and explore the park area behind the hotel or the nearby village of Jesmond. I don't know how it ranks on the convenience scale for sightseeing in Newcastle, since we didn't do any.

Two minor suggestions, and one big thanks: As others have mentioned, the beds are a little too hard. We found that true in many other hotels here, however. Second thing is while the restaurant was very good, I think the menu could benefit from just one or two more straightforward dishes. I was fine with lots of fancy tweaks and unusual ingredients, but my teenagers would have appreciated some simpler choices.

Now for the thanks: When we were at the train station to leave town, I realized that I had left my best walking shoes in our hotel room! After some calls we discovered a taxi would take too long, so they rushed a staff member over with the shoes to meet me at the station. We had just enough time to grab the shoes and run up for our train. I'm so happy they were willing to go that extra step.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kristine B

Reviewed 3 July 2012

I arranged for a group of VIP guests to stay at Jesmond Dene House with dinner. The food was exceptional, and the service fantastic. Even my guest who had come over from Switzerland were knocked over by the welcome and over all experience. I can't fault this hotel, it made a very high profile VIP visit perfect. Thank You !

Room Tip: I have stayed at this hotel and this was my choice for sending my VIP's all the rooms are good q...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Stayed at Jesmond Dene House Bank Holiday Monday, 4th June and had a wonderful stay in Junior Suite room. My husband and I have stayed previously and eat in the restaurant at least once a month. It is always a pleasure and a total treat, the staff are very attentive to guests needs and nothing is too much trouble. The hotel is wonderfully stylish and mixes modern and traditional designs.

The restaurant is well appointed and airy, perfect for that special occasion. The menu changes monthy and offers a good choice which would suit all tastes.

Looking forward to our next stay for my husbands birthday on the 7th July.

2  Thank Lynn C
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Just returned home from a second stay at Jesmond Dene House, and I have to say that I loved it just as much this time. Somehow it manages to create a feling of luxury and indulgence, and yet be comfortable and friendly. It's not pretentious. We had a wonderful room (slight niggle - pillows far too soft, but bed comfortable) overlooking the dene and a great bathroom. Dinner and breakfast were absolutely delicious. Staff were all very friendly and helpful, particularly the waiter in charge of the cheese. I can't wait to find an excuse to go back again. My husband and I have stayed in lots and lots of hotels together, but this is by far our favourite.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Booked in today for Afternoon tea for Cramlington Trefoil Guild. 12 ladies were delighted with surroundings, the afternoon tea was plentiful and very delicous, sandwiches, 3 different types of scones, and a lovely variety of cakes. Plenty of pots of tea. Will come again. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at our favourite hotel, JDH, for our 1st Wedding anniversary on June 10th/11th. We requested the same room we had on our wedding night, which was as comfortable and well appointed as we remembered - the bathroom was a work of art, with wood pannelling and the largest mirror we had ever seen! We headed to the lounge bar where the wine waiter (a long standing, and very knowledgeable, member of the team) helped us to choose a very palateable Rosso di Montepulciano. After ordering, we were invited to dine in the conservatory rather than the dining salon and this added to the intimacy of the the meal. My wife enjoyed a starter of rich and creamy tomato soup with a bruscetta crouton, followed by braised shoulder of lamb with spinach, brocolli, and new potatoes. I chose scallop ravioli followed by Northumbrian steak with hand cut chips and vegatables. The aromatic wine complimented the meals perfectly and helped lead us to both choose the cheese selection and experience the rich and varied continental cheeses. We ended the evening back in the lounge bar with a quenching pot of tea served with petit fours. A sound - and undisturbed - night's sleep was enjoyed, with only the gentle burbling of the weir in the Dene itself just audable in the background. Breakfast was either a bountiful continental, or a hearty full English - no prizes for guessing which I opted for! My wife was good and went for the continental which seemed to have an endless list of options - including local honey on the comb. We were sad to check out and will remember our stay for many years to come. JDH has never left us with anything less than a unique and pleasureable experience whether we have visited for lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, or on either of our special overnight stays and it has a reserved avery warm place in our affections. Well done to all the staff for their courtesy, attention to detail, and consistantly high standards that make JDH such a remarkable hotel and restaurant.

Room Tip: Room 2 is gorgeous!
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Stayed in a junior sweet in the new part of the hotel. Excellent facilities and very spacious. Food for dinner and lunch was perfect, service excellent

Highly recommend a visit