“Jesmond Dene House is perfect!”
Review of Jesmond Dene House

Jesmond Dene House
Reviewed 15 July 2008

I have to travel to Newcastle on business fairly frequently and discovering Jesmond Dene House has transformed this from a chore into a positive pleasure to be looked forward to. The whole place is very clean and smart with every comfort. The staff are friendly and the service is excellent. To top it off they have an extremely good kitchen; the food is very good, and the breakfast is one of the best I've come across anywhere.

My only gripe is that they haven't yet got round to providing free internet access and expect their guests to pay through the nose for this.

But I can't recommend it highly enough, and I often HATE hotels!

Galen Ives
Sheffield UK

Stayed: June 2008
Write a ReviewReviews (1,201)

Reviewed 7 June 2008

This is the third time I have stayed at Jesmond Dene and cant wait for my next visit!
The Hotel offers the perfect city retreat overlooking the lovely Dene and yet 5 minutes away from the City centre.
I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and this epitomises boutique chic. The romms are all unique and wonderfully decorated, the beds are super kingsize and the baths perfect for that relaxing Sunday soak after enjoying an evening of fine wine and dining.
Stayed for wonderful afternoon Sunday tea and didnt want to drive back to London. Have booked my next stay there for later this year! A Must for anyone visiting Newcastle!
Paul & Katie

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GeordieApsley
Reviewed 27 May 2008

A great welcome from Dean the concierge made our first impression of the hotel one that will remain in the memory for a while. He's a real star and strikes exactly the right balance between welcoming informality and encyclopedic knowledge of the area and the hotel itself. The Front of House team were very welcoming but the pre-charging of cards was unecessary and a bit of a shambles. Trust may be at a premium these days but to make such a big deal of it before you set foot in the building is not the way forward in my opinion.

Our room was pretty good but lacking a bit in square footage for our £230, in my opinion. However, the bed was great, the room was well furnished and there was a handwritten note from the manager welcoming us to the hotel; a nice touch. Where the room scored for both of us was the bathroom. Elegantly decorated with a big bath, superb walk-in shower (although when will hotels realise that people can actually be over 6' tall when mounting shower roses???) and great towels and toiletries. Undefloor heating was a welcome feature.

Afternoon tea was both a trial and a triumph. The entirety of the public areas of the hotel were booked out for afternoon tea with no thought given to residents. We were shown to an isolated table in the middle of the bar and were seriously thinking about leaving when an obliging couple vacated their seats. Asking if it would be possible to sit in their place, the waitress (a stunning but scary Lucy Lui lookalike) had to take five minutes before telling us that it would be OK but that half of the table was reserved and we may have to share. This was at 15:00 and our table companions didn't arrive until after 5pm as we were just leaving. Another party came and left without eating, frustrated by the seating shenanigans.

When it arrived, afternoon tea was an unmitigated triumph. Superb sandwich fillings would have benefited from better bread but were nonetheless great. Freshly baked, candyfloss-light scones with the best clotted cream I've tasted in ages were too good to leave alone. A wicked selection of almost perfect cakes and pastries (the chocolate madeleine will stay with me for a long time) finished off with a palate cleansing passion fruit jelly with coconut foam encouraged gluttony beyond what I thought I was capable of. Service was attentive but patchy and the staff mostly seemed to be practicing their frowns, this afternoon.

At dinner, booked for 20:30 to ensure our mammoth tea had chance to go down, we opted for the tasting menu with the accompanying wine selection. An amuse bouche of carrot and cumin with apple was great but in my opinion would have been better had the apple been left in the kitchen. Broccoli soup was served with a handgrenade of taste that was a mushroom raviolo; a great combo. Sadly, the same could not be said for the wine choice, a superb but unsuitable madeira. Next was a spanking fresh and perfectly cooked scallop with lemon syrup that was good and tart and complemented the Albarihno that came with it. Monkfish and hazlenuts was a great taste combo but let down by slightly overcooked fish and wholly unecessary caramelised turnips but not by a dry Riesling that brought the flavours together beautifully. Next was a smoked salmon risotto with superb fish but sadly a lack of creaminess that marks out the best in this dish. Superfluous mushrooms felt like the kitchen trying to overcomplicate a dish that didn't need it. Good Chablis to accomany this one. The best dish of the night was beef fillet. A triumph of flavour and texture from excellent meat. The Pomme Pais that were served with it let it down badly as they were cold, unseasoned and cooked in old oil. We ignored them and enjoyed the dish much more without them. Superb glass of big, spicy Languedoc helped it down a treat. Dessert was apples, apples and more apples served in a variety of ways. Calvados ice cream was a real stand out amongst this little lot. Superb Orange Flower Muscat was probably the best wine served all night. Cheeses were great, well kept and well known by the chap in charge of the trolley. The young staff were charming and engaging and made our experience even more enjoyable.

Breakfast was a game of two halves. The buffet was outstanding. End of story. Everything was worth eating and although sorely tempted, we held back as we had ordered a cooked breakfast each. They were not good although it seemed that all the ingredients were well sourced. I find it hard to take a kitchen seriously that can't scramble an egg and these were a real let down. Not enough to take the shine off the stay but my suggestion is to get involved with the cold buffet and leave the bacon & eggs in the kitchen.

All in all, a great place to stay and a great place to eat. Pricy but a great ambience and friendly faces make good value (ish). We left relaxed, happy and full and will probably come back again for another stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HobbittRabson
Reviewed 6 April 2008

A last minute change of plan led to a 3 day stay at this property.
First impressions(always important) were highly favourable with a charming and professional front of house team.A good sized room with a view, great king size bed ,visualy stunning bathroom and a very pleasant atmosphere created by the well trained and motivated staff.(One nights turn down was a bit comical but not a big issue and duty manager sorted it quickly)
Food is important here (the hotel is owned by a group run by a chef) and the sourcing of ingredients(some from the garden) top draw.Execution was however inconsistent .The pre starter on one night was bland and led to the thought "why bother" but the same dish on the next night was well balanced and delivered a flavour punch of cummin and apple.A cold starter of Pork Knuckle salad was dressed with a heavy handed sharp dressing that made the dish unpleasant and comment was passed back to the kitchen in a positive manner.The feedback was that the dish" was just as the chef wanted."(Chefs!) On the other hand a hot dish of Pork was beautifully presented and cooked.Cheese board very good indeed , a sound and not over priced wine list and very knowlegable staff.A good breakfast buffet but the cooked breakfasts took an age to arrive and on the day of our departure we had to leave after 35 minutes fruitless wait.I wish hotels with highly regarded restaurants would also take breakfast seriously.
If you are coming to Newcastle on business or pleasure and dont need to be in the hustle of the downtown but close to woods,restaurants and shops then this hotel will be a delight and exceed expectations.(but make allowances for a grumpy chef!)

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank second row
Reviewed 27 February 2008

This is the third time we have visited Jesmond Dene and each time the welcome has been excellent, the rooms stunning and comfortable and the food very good. The Staff are always very friendly and helpful. We will definately be returning and have already booked for the summer. A great location.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pacals
Reviewed 15 September 2007

Apparently the hotel used to be a school for wayward boys or some such. At the very least it was owned by the local council. Well, It would be hard to less like an Ex Local Authority property.

The architecture is wonderful - designed by the same architect as the National Trust owned Cragside in Northumberland - and the contemporary decor and furnishings work really well, especially in the oak panelled bar and the lovely guest rooms.

We stayed at the Jesmond Dene House Hotel to celebrate my sister's 40th and were treated to excellent hospitality from all of the staff - from reception to bar staff to waiting staff in the restaurant at dinner. My sister received a complimentary upgrade from a small double to a regular double which overlooked the gardens and was big enough for a comfy sofa as well as the large double bed.

All three of the rooms we occupied were great. Our room - room 3 - had a lovely bay window overlooking the leafy grounds and a great bathroom with underfloor heating and a huge shower as well as deisgner bath tub. Each room was also equipped with a very well stocked mini bar, flat screen TV and CD/DVD player.

Dinner was excellent - portions were a little on the nouvelle side but quality made up for it. Scallops are pretty ubiquitous these days so it' s always a risky order but these were excellent - sweet and succulent and cooked just right. The saddle of venison was probably the best I have had. Given that portions were not massive there was also room for the excellent cheeseboard. Always a bonus. The wine list is also extensive, varied and with a good range of prices. We had a great Viognier, an excellent Albarino and unfortunately we can't remember what the red was (no surprise given we'd also had two bottles of champagne!), but it was, as were the whites, the perfect accompaniment to a great meal.

Breakfast was of equally good quality, with a buffet selection as well as a la carte cooked options. My poached egg and smoked haddock was great.

With the nearby dene offering a delightful place to stroll on a sunny day the Jesmond Dene House has everything you could want for a weekend break, or just an overnight treat.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank Conchwillow
Reviewed 11 September 2007

Hi

I attended the ladies lunch on July 23 and the food and cookery demonstration were excellent.

Staff acted in an utterly profressional yet friendly manner throughout the stay and although I went on my own to the lunch, everyone made me feel welcome and even let me have a quick tour of the hotel as I arrived early.

I think the location of this hotel really sets it apart and although I live in Newcastle, I am new to the town and was delighted to experience another side of it.

The hotel is still only a few minutes from the city centre so after I'd finished my lunch, I was able to pop into town for a bit of shopping!

I'd recommend anyone to go to one of the hotel's special events - they're a bit different and you feel like you're getting star treatment.

Having lunch in the Great Hall was a lovely alternative to sitting in a cafe or restaurant as you could really sense the history of the building and even have views onto the garden. They even grow some of their own produce that they serve up in teh restaurant - our dishes were enhanced with some of the herbs/plants from the garden - what a treat!

I loved the ladies lunch and I'm planning to take some of my girlfriends to the next one in November.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo