Jesmond Dene House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Best Western New Kent Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
View Hotel
Cairn Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
View Hotel
Gresham Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Bar/Lounge
George Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
View Hotel
Carlton Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
View Hotel
Da Vinci's Hotel Restaurant(Newcastle upon Tyne)
View Hotel
Dene Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
View Hotel
Grosvenor Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Breakfast included
The New Northumbria Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
View Hotel
Caledonian Hotel Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
1,248 results
All reviewsafternoon teanoble suitegarden roomthe main housejunior suiteunderfloor heatingbeautiful hotelfresh milkwedding venuebirthday treatcity centresunday lunchwalk in showerfull englishfollowing morningcooked breakfastan overnight stay
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in the heart of Jesmond Dene, a beautiful wooded area right next to the city.

We found the staff to really go above and being to make sure we had a great stay and everything we needed.

Our room was beautiful, decorated with a cream palate and a beautiful cream padded head board. Little luxury touches too. We had a turret room so the windows were just beautiful and looking out over Jesmond Dene. It felt so peaceful, a little haven!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to have a city break with the feel of the countryside with brilliant customer service!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here in July 2013 on a family trip. I wanted to visit the North of England and searched long and hard for a top-notch hotel. Jesmond Dene House was the one I settled on based mostly on Trip Advisor reviews, and I think we chose well but I left feeling a bit disappointed by the inconsistent service.

First, the good: the rooms are spacious and comfortable, each one different and a nice break from "cookie-cutter" style hotels. It felt more like staying in a nice apartment at times. I was particularly impressed with the modern bathroom, which had a nice selection of toiletries. Also, we ate in the restaurant several times and thought the food was very, very good. One night, we simply took a table in the bar area and had some delicious cheese and small bites, etc. while enjoying drinks. It was a very relaxing atmosphere and there seemed to be a few local groups popping in for a drink after work. Always nice to be at hotels where the locals also like to hang out.

On the service front: it really ran the gamut. Several hotel employees we dealt with were just incredibly helpful and professional - for example, the woman who checked us in couldn't have been more welcoming, which we appreciated. But on other days, it was impossible to get someone's attention at reception and when we did, not everyone was as helpful as I would have liked. One moment that particularly stands out for me, however, is when my aunt ordered some drink at the bar mixed with a "club soda" and the server gave her a fairly disdainful look and said, "I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to, Madam." Okay, I realize that we're Americans and that club soda is more of a North American concept, but the appropriate response would have been to smile politely and ask for some clarification. Also, has he really never heard of "club soda?"

Bottom line: if I were ever to return to Newcastle/Durham (and it really is worth checking out - off the beaten path for American tourists, but lovely in the summer and the castles we saw were spectacular), I would come back to Jesmond Dene. I think it's a lovely little hotel and has many good things going for it. They may just need to tweak a few things when it comes to service, but I don't think you'll find too many hotels in this part of England with more character.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main house if you can get it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Konafire
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I have stayed in all of the top hotels in Newcastle and up and down the UK. I have to say this is a rather special place, Beautiful environment, perfect for the city but set back from the hustle and bustle if you need to relax.

The restaurant is sublime. The food is exquisite with an interesting and very varied wine list that all makes for a very special dining experience. The sommelier has a passion and interest in his trade (Danny Knows everything about wine and cocktails) that is only to be enjoyed.

As a regular visitor to this hotel I have never been disappointed. I have invited colleagues here from Europe and the States up to CEO and VP level knowing they will be well looked after and really enjoy the experience.

In summary this is a beautiful hotel and environment but it is complemented by the professional, knowledgeable and discrete service of the well chosen team that have been chosen to work here. There is a warm and welcoming service as soon as you arrive that sets you up for your stay. Perfect, it’s just one big exhale as you walk in and let them take care of you.

Special thanks too

Nick and Isabelle and the reservations team ( Helping me look after my difficult teams, who are very hard to please)
Danny and his restaurant team (Martini is fabulous and never a bad wine choice)
The house keeping team who always keep the rooms perfect and look after the things I leave!!

Karen H

Room Tip: Ask the staff and they will always try and meet your requests. All the rooms are warm and quiet with great facilites.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This hotel doesn't disappoint
Great rooms, warm inviting, clean, smart, quiet
Breakfast / overall food is excellent
Staff very friendly, great service
whilst location is out of town, this is a superb away from home hotel

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2013

What makes a great hotel? A building full of character, comfortable rooms and public areas, excellent food, and above all the people who work there. Jesmond Dene House have clearly set out to be one of the best, and they have achieved it. Given this aspiration, I'll make criticisms below that I'd overlook elsewhere. Please bear this in mind.

We booked 4 days for a family reunion. We were well received and booked in straight away. We went straight to the lounge to meet family we hadn't seen in years, and have a few drinks in front of the log fire. After an hour or so we decided to go up to the room if only to drop the bags. This is an luxuriously renovated building restored in (I'm told) the Arts and Craft style. It certainly a very good mix of 19th century style and 21st century convenience. Each room is different in layout, but ours offered plenty of room and a spacious bathroom. The bed was very comfortable, and real milk (not UHT) in the fridge - a very welcome touch. My only criticism would be that the lighting was quite dim such that you could only read either in bed or at the desk.

Back down to the restaurant - everything was cooked absolutely to perfection, and reasonably priced for a restaurant of this standard (though drinks were a bit steep perhaps). We all enjoyed our meals without question, but perhaps the menu lacks a middle ground. The options seemed to be either regular staples, all be it divinely prepared and presented, or frighteningly avante garde. I'm not sure what, but I'd have liked something safe but exciting in the middle.

Down for breakfast after a comfortable night. In terms of the buffet and cooked breakfast selection, the quality of the produce, the preparation and presentation of the cooked items, and the overall service, I can only remember one better breakfast in a hotel (and that was more than twice the price). Just like the dinner this was top quality food perfectly prepared.

Through most of our stay staff would go out of their way, not just with hotel services, but to offer advice on where to visit or take a walk, and even to chat about the history of the House, the Dene and the area.

Then came Saturday. This is clearly the day when they make the money, and the House was very busy. Had we not experienced the weekday service, we wouldn't have noticed, but breakfast wasn't quite up to the same standard (but still my third best perhaps), and service seemed a little rushed. We came back mid afternoon to find room service had missed our room (quickly sorted). Worse though, both the lounge and bar were booked out for private functions. This left no public area to sit and read a paper (remember the dim lights in the bedroom). We ended up taking a table in the restaurant and ordering afternoon teas we didn't really want. Thankfully normal service was restored on Sunday.

As mentioned before, my criticisms are really picky. Please don't be put off. This is genuinely one of the best hotels I've ever experienced, almost certainly the best in Newcastle, and I plan to come back next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family