“Afternoon tea.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jesmond Dene House

Jesmond Dene House
“Afternoon tea.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

This was the nicest afternoon tea we have both had in Newcastle. There was plenty of food all brilliantly presented and tasted amazing. The desserts were there highlight of the meal. The service was pretty good as to be expected in a setting like this and for the price of the service.
If we could change anything we would suggest warmed scones and comfier seats. We would most certainly be visiting again!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We had our wedding here on January 18th, it was a small affair with twenty guests but we were looked after from the minute we booked the wedding to the time we left the hotel the day after. We were married downstairs in the John Dobson room, had drinks in the lounge upstairs and then back for a delicious 3 course meal in the John Dobson room again. Later in the evening when most guests had left, we were lucky enough to meet Brian Johnson from ACDC who was there with his family (he told us he always stays there when he travels home), he and his family were so nice and friendly and chatted to us about the wedding. My husband and I (!!) stayed in the Noble Suite which is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I wish we could have stayed longer to take in some of the luxury of the room. Breakfast was fab, all of the staff were very attentive and extremely polite. I also need to recommend Abi the wedding coordinator (even though she dared take a week off the week of my wedding). Afternoon tea looked scrummy so will go back to try that, and I am trying to persuade the hubby to go back and stay in the same suite for our first anniversary!! Beautiful hotel, beautiful grounds, exceptional staff. Thank you so much!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed at Jesmond Dene House before and have always enjoyed the experience. On this occasion decided to attend for an evening meal in the Restaurant and were not surprised to find the facilities were as we had experienced previously.
The staff were attentive and professional but most importantly extremely friendly. We decided to order from the House Menu. The choice was excellent with a good range of starters and mains at extremely good value for money. When the meal arrived we were not disappointed. The food was first class.
A lovely touch was the slate board with Petite Fours and iced "Happy Birthday".
House wine was smooth and very palatable.
All in all excellent food at competetive prices, first class service and a most enjoyable evening in a delightful environment.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Normski1966
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

We got engaged here over 5 years ago and wanted to celebrate somewhere in style for our anniversary of our first date so returning to the Jesmond Dene was a 'no brainer!'.

The rooms are always luxurious and to a high standard but both stays we have had a free upgrade so we are always super happy with the rooms. The bathrooms are huge and the beds lovely and big with soft bedding. Free fruit provided and a well stocked drinks bar in the room. If you stay here I would thoroughly recommend eating at the hotel. Again we opted for the 10 course taster menu and I managed to convince hubby to also add the tasting wine menu too which he was really pleased he did as it complimented the food so well. Rooms & food aren't cheap but then it is definitely worth it as unlike some hotels I have stayed in (missoni) you get what you pay for here! Will definitely come again!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
North East
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I came here for an afternoon tea to celebrate a special birthday and I was not disappointed! It was my first visit to JDH. The hotel is simply stunning and I cannot think of a nicer place to spend an afternoon. The staff were very attentive and the tea was divine! Watch out for the Macaroons with Rose - We thought we were in cake heaven! Looking forward to finding an excuse to go back.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

Let me start by stating that I spend over 100 nights per year in hotels around the globe. Wow, what can I say about this property. It is truly magnificent in every way. The beautiful old architecture with all of the modern amenities. The world class service. The friendly, available staff. Make sure you ask for a quick 10 minute tour of the building and all of the history that lies within, from the wine cellar to the game room. Dining at the Jesmond Dene House was spectacular. Food that livened the pallet, and a superb wine list and sommelier to assist you.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are superb.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank danblakeley
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I booked a Christmas break for myself, my partner and my elderly mum and disabled brother. From start to finish it was a total delight. My booking contact (Nick McInvor) was exceptionally kind and obliging in understanding my brother's special needs and we were made incredibly welcome throughout (and - don't I know it! - there are certain hotels in the same price bracket that really don't want a disabled person 'spoiling' the view!)

Our rooms were lovely, staff were outstanding and the food was gorgeous. We had a wonderful Christmas experience. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family