“Not quite as good as I'd expected”
Review of Jesmond Dene House

Jesmond Dene House
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Not quite as good as I'd expected”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Firstly let me start by putting the rating I've given into context. The hotel is not cheap and should have very little to pick out as being negative. It should be total luxury and unfortunately it is not.

Good things...nice bed, comfortable robes, terrace on side of room (no 11), great location, good service, food at dinner (although poorly positioned table with no view-you may as well just be in any old location) and man who greeted us and showed us our room was extremely pleasant and helpful.

Negatives...shocking service at breakfast, late coffee and toast, no offer of a top up on drinks, uncomfortable pillows with none as extras, broken toilet flush, noise late from wedding party, housekeeping knocking twice before 11am to clean the room (check out was at 12 noon).

Separating the room and breakfast from the dinner is probably the best way to score this.

Hotel and breakfast -average 3
Dinner - very good 4

Staff (with the exception of service at breakfast and housekeeping) were great. Those who didn't give great service (mentioned above) let the hotel down massively

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ClaireNewcUk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed here before and thought our lacklustre welcome was just bad timing! Well, again we had a very brusque welcome after a 7 hour car journey - wham bam thank you mam and here are your Keys! And we thought Newcastle was meant to be friendly!

2 rooms, one deluxe and the other classic. The classic (room 30) was ok but the toilet cistern constantly rumbled! Room 32 deluxe was ok but lacked light as it was in the eaves and a had tiny window and therefore no view. Lovely bathroom though. The sky lights were too high to shut and no pole to adjust them so we were woken at 5.30am with light pouring through and no way of blocking out light! So frustrating. Turndown service was a total waste of time. No bins emptied, no glasses rinsed! Towel replacement had to be requested, Just a roll down of a duvet!!! And we were told if we didnt have the service by 8pm we wouldnt get anything! Why bother?

Room service continental breakfast was 2 pain au raisin and 4 bits if dry bread - not toast - bread!! With no jam to soften it up! Amazingly poor for a hotel of this standard.

Want a drink in the bar - choose where you sit carefully! The ante bar had no sevice at all! We had to go to the bar to ask for drinks, we had to chase them up and chase for the table to be cleaned. And guess what, we had to chase the bil!!

Very disappointing which is a shame as we were looking forward to coming here. We thought it was best hotel in Newcastle - we think not!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank bertie
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at Jesmond Dene House last week to celebrate the birthday of my 16 year old son. Like one of your previous reviewers our stay was just one night (sadly) but we will definitely be going back. Here's why....

From the moment we arrived the service was just absolutely first class, with the staff delivering a warm and very professional welcome without any sense of stuffiness at all. I have to genuinely say that all of the staff we encountered from reception, to bar to restaurant and breakfast were totally charming in every way.

We had two rooms and both were really smartly designed and reflecting the character of the original arts and crafts style architecture. The rooms were both very comfortable and spacious.

It's a really beautiful building that's been sympathetically converted and really well decorated. It's not at all bland 'hotel chic' - it's incredibly well thought out and designed to deliver character, distinction and a sense of time and place.

The sun was shining so we indulged in a drink on the terrace which was lovely. We then headed into the bar and ordered a pre-dinner glass of champagne each for the adults and a mocktail for our son. The service was quick and really charming and never felt hurried or that we were making 'too much fuss' despite opening lots of pressies in public. Some delicious amuse bouche were also served with the drinks which were very tasty.

The menu was really fresh, with lots of different styles of cooking on offer from a classic brasserie style, classic English, a la carte or two tasting menus. None of these were presented in a naff way. They were simply set out and let the ingredients do the talking. Basically you are invited to make the choice between simple but delicious dishes at a very reasonable price or haute cuisine in the form of the tasting menus at a higher value. There was an excellent, and not at all 'same old, same old' choice of dishes.

We chose from the a la carte and the brasserie style menu. All the food we had was outstanding.
I ate a wild garlic and cheese gnocchi soup to start - which was one of the best dishes I've eaten in a long time - it was delicious whilst also being 'something new', light and zingy. A plentiful selection of homemade breads and fabulous homemade butters (including seaweed butter) were also served.

I then had a steak which was full of flavour, tender, gorgeous! This was served with divine thick cut chips (triple fried I think) which my husband ate greedily with the homemade béarnaise sauce that accompanied it. A crisp fresh flavoursome salad was also served.

Both my husband's and son's dishes were also described as fantastic - I didn't get to sample anything as they cleared their plates (which is quite unusual for them).

Although I don't normally eat pudding the salted caramel and peanut sphere (sounds a bit daft) was out of this world! Not only was it a piece of culinary theatre is was a taste sensation. We were literally fighting over it as we only ordered one, which was meant to be for my son but ended being shared three ways!!

My husband and I had a cheese board between us which was also lovely as we were able to choose from a very well stocked cheese trolley so only had what we fancied.

All of the dishes were beautifully presented on the plate and served with a smile and at a very nice pace between courses.

The wine list was also great and we had a wonderful NZ Sauvignon Blanc for around £30.

We had a sound night's sleep and the following morning had one of the nicest hotel breakfasts we've had in a long time. Great choice of dishes from the buffet or the 'cooked to order' menu. Wonderful coffee.

This is not the first time that I have stayed at Jesmond Dene House. I stayed there several years ago and thought it was pretty unremarkable. A change of ownership, staff and chef have revolutionised this place in every way.

I genuinely believe that it must be one of the best hotels in Britain. We stay in many 5 star hotels in London and around the world for both work and pleasure and I genuinely believe that this hotel now ranks as 'one of the best' in England. I say this as somebody who has literally just returned from an Alain Ducasse two Michelin star restaurant and hotel in Provence.

Well done Jesmond Dene House Hotel you provided a brilliant experience. Hats off to you. We'll be back for more - hopefully very soon!

Room Tip: The hotel is located in the very quiet leafy Jesmond Dene. It is just like being in the countryside...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GalleryGirl64
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed one night this weekend - got a voucher for a Christmas present giving an overnight stay plus evening meal and champagne breakfast - it was fabulous - perfect location - food was wonderful and service was excellent - certainly will go back again - it beats a jumper family - same again next Christmas please

Room Tip: rooms 1 & 2 are the best - lovely views of the Dene
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Me and my wife decided to dine here recently, and I must say I was speechless (A first for me, according to Mrs E). The service was first class, as you would expect. The wine menu made for very interesting reading (would like to try them all). The food was exquisite. the rabbit terrine, pork and baked custard divine, why this place has no Michelin star is beyond me. If you are in need of pampering and luxury then JDH is just for you.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Jesmond Dene House in April and loved every minute! From the moment we arrived we were impressed - front of house staff, our room, the restaurant and most if all our sommelier Danny!! The food was fantastic and made all the better for his drinks recommendations throughout the night - I can highly recommend his old fashioned! Looking forward to visiting again sometime soon.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Melrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stayed here last weekend as we were going to Sage Gateshead to a concert. Sadly we could only stay for 1 night in this fantastic hotel with excellent, knowledgeable staff. We will certainly return - the location is unique, being only minutes from central Newcastle it feels as if you are totally removed from the bustle of the city. Our room was spacious and extremely well appointed (in the New House extension) which was recommended as there was a wedding and we requested a quiet room. We didn't have dinner due to lack of time but the breakfast has to be one of the best hotel breakfasts I have ever eaten - despite the fire alarm in the middle! The staff coped admirably with that too. Full marks.

Room Tip: Room 35 in annexe is on the ground floor and very quiet