Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
A great day out for book lovers

In our group we have 4 children from 1 year up to 6 years and there was plenty to do for all of... read more

Reviewed 18 August 2018
Suzi C
via mobile
Research visit

My visit was to compile research for my illustration degree. The building itself is wonderful from... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago

from US$33.20
from US$33.20
from US$21.30
More Info
All reviews story telling book shop dressing up harry potter creation station craft activities annual pass michael morpurgo all ages craft room sensory room book lovers older children attic room four hours ouseburn farm interactive areas
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

Had an opportunity to visit this amazing place dedicated to everything about Children's literature. Housed in an old Mill building, the name "7 Stories" is a play on words, with the centre set over 7 levels.

Both Children & Adults alike will be filled with awe seeing and hearing their favourite authors and illustrators brought to life.

7stories, Public Relations Manager at Seven Stories - The National Centre for Children's Books, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Hi Matthew,

We're pleased you enjoyed your visit with us. We have worked hard to make the centre accessible to all ages, so we're delighted that you found this to be the case - we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I think its a great place for family with children, there's area where the children can dress up as different character, and there are story telling time as well. There's also different exhibition at different period of time.

Thank you for your kind review, we're pleased you enjoyed your visit with us!

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Being one of those places that you always think of going to but never get around to it, when it was opening it's doors for free during the heritage open day, we jumped at the chance! But unfortunately we will not be back!

Apart from the bookshop and cafe the rest was a huge let down.

After visiting all of the local free attractions during the recent school holidays, I wrongly assumed that by visiting a usually 'paid for' attraction would be impressive.

Apart from a two floors of displays and dressing up items (similar to the hancock museum mouse house) the other floors comprised of a sparce story telling area with no characters, just a lady reading a book with minimal animation, a baby area with scarves and blocks on the floor, toilets and a cafe, loads of randomly placed books.

I was expecting a lot of hands on shows and staff led items similar to the centre for life but each floor was barren with all staff congregating in the reception and shop.

If we had of paid the £23 entry fee I'd have been asking for a refund!!

Save your time, buy some books elsewhere for the money and visit one of the other fantastic free attractions Newcastle has to offer such as the discovery museum, hancock, arbeia Roman fort, Baltic, and if you are wanting a great value for money day out that you are willing to pay an entry fee, visit the centre for life (travel there via metro and you get the kids in free with every paying adult - just show them your metro ticket)

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Great place to visit and learn about different story books. The Ronald Dahl poem live show was excellent and our children loved the whole day. Great place

7stories, Public Relations Manager at Seven Stories - The National Centre for Children's Books, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Hi,

Thank you for your kind review! Our Story Catcher team work very hard to deliver an engaging and entertaining programme. We have a Roald Dahl weekend coming up soon, too!

Reviewed 28 August 2017

Hmmmm. The National Centre for Children's Books. Where do I start? Well the name for starters. It totally gives you the wrong impression. I'm a teacher, I collect children's literature and having first heard about this centre a few years ago I could not wait to see it. Brilliant a centre just for books, archived material of Michael Morpurgo, Enid Blyton etc. I suspected this was just for young children but contacted the centre to see if this was the case. I was sent an email stating that ' there is a great amount of content for adults to enjoy' My partner and I visited on the 24th of August paying £7.70 each to get in.
I was so looking forward to this visit but was left totally underwhelmed. It was definitely geared more towards schools and children probably between the ages of 2-10.We headed down to the first floor - a studio and a word lab - saw a Michael Morpurgo script canvas on the wall and an Enid Blyton one. No archived material. Second floor - cafe and toilets. We had no need to use the cafe as we had already eaten so I can't comment on that quality, prices etc. Third floor - Bookshop, coffee shop and exit. Fourth floor - Comic exhibition - my partner and I have no interest in comics. Fifth floor - Bear exhibition - the only floor that held any interest for me whatsoever. Sixth floor - a room really underused with a theme of Aliens love Underpants. As we were making our way up to the various floors we were waiting for the big reveal this didn't happen. As we got to the seventh floor we were going to wait for the performance but decided against it as we had been disappointed with the rest. We spent 35 minutes there in total. I had more fun at the Hancock museum, Ouseburn Farm, the Baltic Art Gallery and the Discovery museum and this was all free!!!!
The centre itself is quite small, lacks light and poor value for money. I agree with another trip advisers comments stating that the centre is aimed solely at the middle classes. This is a shame as it alienates the very children most in need of a centre like this.The centre states that their 'focus is to make the centre accessible to all ages.' They have a long way to go to achieve this. If you have children save yourself some money and take them to the library, the museums and the lovely Ouseburn City Farm. It's all interactive, it's accessible for all and its certainly not £7.70!!!!! for what was essentially for us access to one floor(room) and a stamp on our hands!!
Perhaps in order to improve, the name of the centre should be changed so as not to mislead people, and a heck of a lot more needs doing to make it accessible for everyone. The farm next door is a charity and just asked for donations. The displays in the museums are incredible and they just ask for donations. All in all 35 minutes of our lives wasted!!!

2  Thank noah82172
7stories, Public Relations Manager at Seven Stories - The National Centre for Children's Books, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your day as we would have hoped. We appreciate your feedback and hope to answer some of the points you outlined below.

As a charity, it is necessary for Seven Stories to supplement the funding we receive with an admission charge. We understand that this cost can prove to be a barrier when planning a visit but we have benchmarked our prices against other regional attractions (relative to our funding amount) and offer the annual pass initiative which is, by far, the most cost effective way to enjoy Seven Stories – with unlimited visits throughout the year, to enjoy the changing exhibitions and event programme.

As you mention, the Seven Stories collection is housed in Felling, Gateshead and has extensive material from Artists and Illustrators of children’s books from the 1930s to the present day. You are welcome to make an appointment to view some of the collection and this service is offered free of charge. Our public exhibitions offer the opportunity to see work from the collection too and have a great variety of material on show in our current Bears and Comics exhibitions, with original illustrations, pages and stories along the walls as you journey through the spaces. We’re glad Bears had something of interest for you, and Comics is being well-received by audiences of all ages.

We understand that you will have accessibility in mind, as a teacher. We are very proud of what we do day-to-day to make Seven Stories as accessible as possible (more information is available at www.sevenstories.org.uk/visit/accessibility). We are, of course, always keen to discuss ways we can improve our accessibility and visitor experience. If you are willing to discuss this further, please contact us on 0300 330 1095 ext 223 – we would welcome a chat with you.