“Lovely homely atmosphere”

Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Lovely homely atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Called in for afternoon tea with my cousin yesterday. We had real tea in china cups with a tea strainer, and scones with jam. What made it was the atmosphere and surroundings. Lower floor in a Georgian house in what is left of what was beautiful Eldon Square, complete with original range restored by the owners. Fantastic host, made us more than welcome and we really enjoyed the visit. Will certainly call in again next time I am in Newcastle.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This is the only second time I have been in, but it is right about what they say about first impressions so I came back!

Everything was of an excellent standard on mine and my partners first visit, it would only be right to pop again in for a payday treat. We walked in on what had just been a busy saturday afternoon busy period. You could feel the buzz and with doo-wop playing in the background the excitement comes to sit and enjoy a cuppa in this setting.

The canniest Scotsman was busy as a bee serving his customers and making every drink on the menu and his personal service is top notch. There is no rush to get you in or out in that place. The menu choice is great for a small venue, and the focus on teas is brilliant - flowering tea's in a clear pot spring to mind!

I had quiche for my dinner, my partner has a pot of chamomile & mint. For afters I ordered a slice of carrot cake and a slice of chocolate and walnut cake with a pot of coffee and amaretto tea and we shared the whole lot - The day had been a bit drab up until then and going to Tea on the Green had honestly put such a happy smile on my face.

You could honestly sit the day away in there forgetting about the outside world, sipping, chatting and munching away.

All homemade - all lush. Get yourselves in.

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely afternoon tea that was very good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Took a good friend out for an afternoon treat. Tea in a pot with cup and saucer and food excellent. Had to have a goody bag for cakes which was offered before we asked. Also had a lovely white dry bottle of wine just to finish off the day. Owner was lovely to talk to and tea room was so clean and cheerful. Toilets lovely and clean. Well worth a trip.

1 Thank Sharron E
Sunderland, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of my favourite tea experiences”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Excellent service, the food was great, there was a variety of tea to choose from, the location is so quirky, the decor is quaint and comfortable makes a warm and inviting atmosphere, overall an excellent experience

• Visited December 2013
Newcastle, England
“Little gem in the Toon, AMAZING customer service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Easily one of the warmest places I have ever been too in terms of hospitality and customer service. The gentleman that owns the place, couldn't do enough for you, a massive cliché in this industry, but he literally was there to top up anything that needed topping up, chat with the customers and generally be his lovely, pleasant self.

The food was what you expect from these types of cafés, my father and brother had hot beef rolls with chips and enjoyed them, my wife and I had toasties and even though it wasn't on the menu, my 2 year old son was made a junior sandwich with chips. We enjoyed the food and ordered two carrot cakes and one coffee and walnut cake for after and enjoyed those too, my expectations of sandwiches and cakes are never high as they are what they are, but they did the trick and for less than £10 a head for lunch (£3 for kids too), it does the trick on the food scale.

For drinks, my father had English Breakfast tea, my brother had his standard Americano, I had a cappuccino and my wife had an amazing Flowering tea which had a hint of peach to it. We love our teas and that is easily the best flowering tea we've had. The gentleman gave us a tip of when to pour it for its best flavour and he was spot on. My dad's tea was delicious, strong and flavoursome just how he likes it. The Americano did the trick for my brother and the cappuccino needed more strength to it and better milk as it was very wet (not much foam) and bumpy, which didn't look appealing. Once again though, I always lower my expectations on coffee standards in these places and I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Once the drinks were empty, he offered hot water for both tea pots and my brother got a ginger beer which he enjoyed. He even made brilliant comments that he thinks the 3rd cup is the best cup on the flowering teas, which I loved as he's giving his personal opinion and experience, not just the bog standard service you tend to receive in some places these days. It literally felt like you were having tea in his living room, it was that welcoming.

Keep up the great work guys and I can't wait to return with the family again

• Visited April 2014