“dont miss this one”

The Lock and Key Restaurant
Price range: US$10 - US$19
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: In the gallowgate area of Newcastle near St James Park on the old Scottish and Newcastle Brewery site is The Lock and Key Restaurant. Located above NE4 Cafe Bar is this intimate restaurant. Offering quality food at a good cost.
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“dont miss this one”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

have dined hear 4 times now and every starter and main meal has been excellent.staff are friendly and helpful .nothing is to much trouble and mahon (the chef) even offered to cook us a great fish platter which was terrific.will be going again shortly.i travel a 60mile round trip to eat here.steaks are spot on,drinks reasonably priced.hope i,ve spelt your name correctly.see you soon

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank davemA1772AA
Faith M, Public Relations Manager at The Lock and Key Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback. We're so happy to hear that every visit has been a pleasant one that you have enjoyed. We will pass your fantastic comments onto Mohan, the fact you do a 60 mile round trip to come visit us is extremely complimentary and we can't wait to see you again soon. Thank you.

Gateshead
“Fab Food!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Visited around 2pm on a Saturday afternoon about 2 months ago - we were told the upstairs wasn't open due to a waitress phoning in sick, but we could still pick from the Lock and Key menu if we wanted to eat in the Bar at NE4 - not a problem for us so this is exactly what we did.
We had a booth (only ones eating) and the bar was quite quiet but it was really wet miserable day so understandable.......
I ordered the Chateaubriand for one and my partner the meat plank (for two lol). The food took a little while to come out but was worth the wait. Both meals were fantastic and my steak was perfectly medium rare as I wanted and the accompanying mushrooms and onions were to die for, as were the chips. I didn't try my OH onion rings, but they looked amazing!
My only gripe would be that if the whole of the upstairs had to be closed due to one member of staff phoning in sick, they may need more staff but to be honest the food was so good it didn't matter where we ate it.
Would just like to add the guy who was working on the bar (NE4) was great, so helpful and a credit to the place (sorry don't know his name).
I have just booked to visit in a couple of weeks for Sunday Lunch and can't wait - would definitely recommend this place for food and hopefully will eat here on a Saturday evening soon too.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank GB_SW
Thank you for your feedback. We're so pleased you found the food delicious even though you had to eat downstairs. In your circumstance it was rare that we had to close the upstairs restaurant so we do apologise that you couldn't dine up there however we're so pleased you are coming back to dine with us! See you again soon and we invite you to like The Lock and Key on Facebook to keep up to date with offers. Thank you.
uk
“NE4 Bar...Roof Terrace....great food & drinks”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

we went for a groupon meal & drinks offer...........fish & chips were fantastic.........drinks were very reasonable........sun was shining so we sat on the sofas on the terrace ....fab! great service too!
would def recommend

1 Thank tuckerhuner
Faith M, Public Relations Manager at The Lock and Key Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for the review! We're so pleased you enjoyed your fish and chips, the terrace is beautiful on a sunny day. We hope to see you again soon and invite you to like NE4 and Lock and Key on Facebook to keep up to date with offers. Thank you.
Newcastle
“Lovely Food, bit of a let down by Waiting Staff but Management efficiently resolved.”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had my birthday meal here Saturday 14th June, the food was absolutley lovely and worth every penny.

Had a couple of issues mainly due to the waiter staff been little bit lapse and forgot a starter off our table.

The management team resolved this quickly for me and also looked after us the rest of the night.

Would I go again - I would deffinately be back only thing I would check though as a TIP as it's a small restaurant with a few tables I'd check I could have the table for the whole night as it's quite popular for private functions.

• Visited June 2014
Faith M, Public Relations Manager at The Lock and Key Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for the feedback, we're so pleased you enjoyed your birthday meal. Apologies about the waiter staff being a bit lapse however I'm pleased our management team sorted this out quickly and efficiently for you! Sorry you thought it was small, we usually have more tables in however sometimes it can feel too crowded, I'll pass your comments on. We hope to see you again soon and invite you to like Lock and Key on Facebook to keep up to date with offers, thank you!
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sunday Roast”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Visited with my husband for Sunday lunch using a voucher. We didn't know what to expect at first but we were absolutely blown away by the Sunday Roast. One of the best both of us have had. I had the lamb and it was roasted to perfection. The roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding and vegetables were also spot on. However I think a special mention has to be made for the crackling and gravies. You get to request for crackling - it's awesome and there are a selection of 3 gravies, all of which are good but the mint gravy is truly excellent. Service was great as well, staff and chef are very friendly and warm. It can be a bit tricky to find initially with all the road work going on in that area - however as one reviewer mentioned - it is visible from Barrack Road (just through a little alley next to Sandman Signature). We really cannot wait to go back for more.

• Visited June 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely comments. We're so pleased you enjoyed your Sunday Roast and thought it was one of the best you'd had- we'll pass your compliments onto the Chef! The mint gravy is delicious, I'm so pleased you enjoyed it! Hopefully we will be easier to find once all the work has been completed, we hope to see you again shortly and invite you to like the Lock and Key on Facebook to keep up to date with offers such as our Journey to India night that is coming up! Thank you.