“Extensive, imaginative menu ... But”

Madiha indian cuisine
Ranked #410 of 1,267 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Extensive, imaginative menu ... But”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

An extensive menu which includes many unusual choices. Well-cooked (mostly) tasty food with subtle differences between the courses. Reasonable prices, good friendly service, comfortable surroundings.

But... The poppadoms were cooked in stale, slightly rancid oil and carried its taste. If they are cutting corners on things like this so early in their existence,what else will they be tempted to cut corners on as the business grows? The rest was good and I'll be willing to give them another go. However, until then only 3*.

1 Thank cancerdoc

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Deserves support.”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have only used this restaurant for take-aways so can't really judge the service and etc..
That said, the cooking is of a much better quality and variety than the normal BOG-standard Indian restaurant. The sauces, e.g. Naga, Afghani and Bongho Bondhu (doesn't that make your mouth water) are so subtly different to the norm and have much greater range.
The lamb is exquisite, not a trace of fat or gristle and v. tender as is the chicken.
Not many people in so this is why I recommend the Madiha for your support. It is a keeper!

1 Thank dilston
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

The staff and food was really good! The food was full of flavour and it was very reasonable too. I recommend madiha Indian restaurant for those who love a good Indian curry.

1 Thank Amirah15
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Oh wow!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Well, were do I begin?
We stumbled across the Madiha whilst staying in the Jesmond district of Newcastle upon Tyne and at first we thought it was a takeaway as the frontage is quite small, however upon entering, we discovered the restaurant was surprisingly large, clean and had a very cosy atmosphere. We ordered the lamb Achari and the lamb Bongho Bondhu with nut and garlic rice. When the meals arrived, we tasted them and thought wow! The lamb was so tender, it was melting in the mouth and the both dishes were spiced to perfection.
Having enjoyed the main course and wanting to prolong the culinary pleasure, we ordered deserts. We ordered the Mango sorbet and the Chocolate mud pie. Well... The mango sorbet was served in a mango skin and was absolutely Divine. The chocolate mud pie did not disappoint either and would satisfy the cravings of the most developed chocoholic palate!
We did not want to leave, but were so full we just ordered tea for two and had a chat with the owner who told us all about the restaurant, the food and his family of chefs who hold the secrets of the family recipes which make up the majority of the menu.
Good food is always good to find, but to find it where you least expect is especially delightful! The Madiha will not disappoint! I would give it 10 stars, but as five is the maximum, that will have to suffice but it doesn't do it justice! Excellent!

2 Thank Jason H
Goose Green, Falkland Islands
“Been here before, new owners, didn't disappoint”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have eaten at this location before a few years ago and it was good then and apparently this is under new ownership now.

I had to wait a small while to get a table, however once seated the menu looked interesting and the order taken quickly and efficiently.

The veg samosas were tasty and came with a decent amount of salad. It looked like pre-packed salad from a supermarket, but that's not a problem, just an observation.

The main (Lamb Achari) was very tasty however not has hot as the 3 chilli indication on the menu. All the dishes were served in good quantities and the chilli naan I had was well cooked, but not that packed with chilli as I would like.

I got the bill and it was quite pricey, but good value for what I had to eat in terms of both quality and quantity.

I will definitely return as the chef, waiting staff and management were very friendly and served good food.

• Visited April 2014