“Great place to stay off the beaten track”

The Cumberland Arms
More attraction details
Owner description: The Cumberland Arms is a fantastic Real Ale pub offering up to seven real ale hand pulls and a great bottle and keg selection that rotates exceptional beer from breweries spanning the British Isles and beyond and continually looks for new and exciting beers to bring home to share with their customers. It also boasts a fantastic cider selection that customers can savour, having won Camra Regional Cider Pub of The Year four consecutive years.There is an exciting mix of live music all year round with anything from indie gigs to the traditional folk and a generous splash of spoken word nights, theatre, weekly quiz and Ping Pong! Plus there is comedy once a month from The Suggestibles. The back room gives way to a host of traditional sessions most nights of the week, some with a heritage going back over twenty years, feel free to join in or just sit back and listen! The simple but quality bar menu includes up to 6 varieties of sausage and mash with home-made gravy, nachos, twice cooked chips and scampi plus a twist on the traditional Sunday Dinner plus other specials and when it’s sunny the BBQ comes out. Sit on the beer terrace overlooking the Ouseburn Valley and enjoy the views of the city or when it’s cold huddle next to the open fires. We also have a gem of a B&B if you fancy staying with us!The Cumberland Arms really is a great place to settle in and relax all year round.
Reviewed 16 July 2017

I stayed at The Cumberland Arms as I was up in Newcastle seeing my mates band at the nearby venue The Cluny. For what I paid I was very impressed. Huge room and excellent breakfast which was brought up to the room on each morning. My room gad a great view across the river.
The bar downstairs is as good as you'll get if you like traditional Real Ale pubs and was very hospitable.
If there was a downside it was the bathroom was a bit dated but not overly so.
Don't let the fact it's not in the main city centre out you off as it's only a short walk to the shopping/main drinking areas. There's some other fantastic 'Real' pubs very close and around the Ouseburn area. Well worth the money.

All reviews
"free trade"
in 4 reviews
"lovely big room"
in 2 reviews
"breakfast brought to the room"
in 2 reviews
"great selection of beers"
in 3 reviews
in 5 reviews
"newcastle"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed 19 May 2017

Tucked away, this place is fabulous. Excellent rates for rooms, love music, spacious rooms and attentive staff. Breakfast brought to the room, which sets you up for the day. Busy little gem :)

Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

Having stayed here before, we couldn't wait to come back. Definitely our preferred place to stay in Newcastle; its quirky and very comfortable. Being upstairs from the pub it's convenient and the staff are lovely and welcoming. The rooms are lovely and spacious, with beautiful large windows and gorgeous antique-style furniture. On arrival, we were presented with fresh milk and water and shown through the keys we needed. Waking up to gorgeous views of cattle feeding in The Ouseburn Valley was the perfect accompaniment to breakfast. My only negative is that we can't get booked in more often. Love this place!

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

This is a very old pub and seems to pride itself on that. Fine.
Personally I'd prefer if to be a bit more up to date and MUCH less toiletty smelly. And have reasonable seats etc etc. The romance is lost on me along with the err ... aroma.
Outside seems nice but it's often cold and always very very smoky.
I value what they do with gigs etc and Venue for newish bands. I suppose it's expected that sort of place to be a bit uncomfortable to stand up in for hours. But hey. Pay your money take your choice

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

I visit Newcastle once every two or three years and found this gem of a pub a few years back. I really hope it never changes. It's as if entering a post war time zone. Michael Caine as Carter could enter and scan the bar before leaving abruptly, although he would definitely enjoy a pint of ale first. I am not particularly into folk music but love drinking pints whilst in the corner a few friendly musicians perform informal sessions on violin or guitar. The quality of music is high and convivial - I imagine they are tutors from local colleges. All ages are present and I am pleased to see a young alternative crowd mingling easily. I've been taking my kids since they were little and there has never been an issue. They love it too. It's £5-6 in a taxi from the centre of town.