“The refurb didn't go well for small people”
Review of Theatre Royal

Theatre Royal
Book In Advance
More Info
US$34.19*
and up
Cultural Walking Tour of Newcastle
Reviewed 19 May 2012

If you're tall you'll be ok. Small like I am and a lot of my friends are then you could be in for a very uncomfortable night. The new seats are wood with only slight padding in the middle so if you're feet don't touch the floor then the circulation is in for a rough ride as the edge cuts into you. I went once to a fairly short event and was uncomfortable, I went again to see Shakespear that lasted much longer and was in pain for the last hour. I vowed I would never pay to sit there again....what a shame. The majority of women I've spoken to under 5'4" have said the same as me, even without first hearing of my experience. Also I understand, in the Upper Circle the seats don't fold back, making it hard to allow people to pass and have so little leg room they have to sit with their legs spread to each side...not very comfortable either and not at all ladylike! God help any tall men that go there.
I've always gone to several shows each season but I'll not be back. I'll wait till things go to Sunderland Empire.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

The title says it all! Go here for shows, it's a grand old building, but eat somewhere else...like Strada at old eldon square, 5 minute walk

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Went to see Derren Brown here last week and I'd really recommend the theatre for this kind of performance. The auditorium is really attractive and comfortable. I'm not sure about visibility in the galleries, but in the stalls it was excellent. The bar upstairs is nice and has a good range of drinks including some more unusual foreign beers, although its not cheap.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

But depends what you go to see...obviously!

As a venue, it is fantastic. It has been redone very recently and looks gorgeous. Always worth paying a bit extra for the Stalls or Grand Circle though, in my opinion.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

I love the building which is really beautiful and such a 'classic' theatre and large stage. The seating is well tiered and comfortable, and for the couple of productions I've seen, the ticket prices were very reasonable (Madness of King George and Sleeping Beauty, ballet). The adjoining bar has got good character and nice place to sit down in the interval - perhaps reserve your drinks and a table in advance as it gets far too busy!