“Quiet and central...”

City Apartments Newcastle - Quayside
Reviewed 29 October 2009

We stayed for a night at the City Apartments on Northumberland Street. Very quiet and clean with all amenities. I found the decor very stark and the lighting cold but hey.... The location couldn't be more central and yet aware from noisy bars and clubs. We didn't hear another soul either. Will definitely use this facility again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for City Apartments Newcastle - Quayside

Reviewed 5 October 2009

We stayed at this hotel the first weekend of October to watch Newcastle v Bristol City. We found this hotel to fantastoc. There is secure car parking at this hotel whcih is free. And the apartments we found to be very big. We had a two bedroom apartment with one of the rooms had a on-suite. We had TV's in both bedroom with the normal 1-5 channels and the tv in the lounge we had free-view. We found a good pub just down some steps just outside of the hotel reception. We will be coming back to this hotel next time we visit newcastle.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank tombond
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I stayed at this property whilst in Newcastle on business and was pleasantly surprised. I had been concerned by other reviews I had read regarding noise levels due to stag and hen parties but as I was staying Sunday to Friday I didn’t experience any problems with that.

The 1-bed apartment is of a decent size, with an open plan kitchen/living room, an average size bathroom and a smallish double bedroom with a comfortable bed and good pillows. It also had a mini utility room with a washing machine, iron and ironing board which is useful.
Both the living room and bedroom have flat screen televisions and the kitchen is stocked with all the cutlery and cooking utensils you would expect.

The apartment isn’t situated in the prettiest area and I was dumped into what was probably their worst apartment as it overlooked the main road and a builder’s yard. I think this may have to do with the absolute bargain price I paid.
However, as I was there on business I wasn’t that concerned about this and the double glazing kept any noise out.
There is a huge Morrisons supermarket nearby with two petrol stations which just makes life easy.
Although you can easily walk in to the city centre from here I think that if you don’t have a car it could get expensive using taxis.

On a negative note, the wardrobe in the bedroom is totally pathetic and actually made me laugh when I saw it. It is so small that I couldn’t even hang my shirts in it as they draped on the floor of the cupboard so be prepared to hang your clothes all over the place. Cleanliness also leaves something to be desired, there was a dead fly on the floor of the bathroom, the bed sheets had some black marks and the kitchen hob and oven hadn’t been cleaned properly.
There was also a slightly unpleasant smell in the flat when I first arrived which I think came from the drains as once I’d had a shower the smell disappeared which indicates the flat may have been unoccupied for quite some time. However, these should all be seen as minor niggles.
One major thing I would mention is the lack of a toilet brush which I find totally unacceptable.

I do believe that these apartments are aimed more at the stag and hen party crowd rather than business travellers however this shouldn’t put you off staying here as the accommodation offers excellent value for money.
You get double the space of a hotel room, free secure parking, free WIFI (very useful), good location and helpful staff.
I would definitely choose this property when I need to return to Newcastle in the future.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I had two days to kill whilst waiting for my son who was being assessed at a special college. It may be expensive at weekends but it was great value and so much space. The views from the double roomed apartments are as good as on the adverts.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 25 June 2009

once swanky...now manky....this hotel caters for stag and hen parties most weekends and an insider told me they also accomodate students in rooms they cannot fill and it has suffered as a consequence. the first room i stayed in smelt of vomit, spilt paint on the carpet in the bedroom. and a hole in the door where someone has tried to pick the lock. the decor was obviously once very nice but now they need to be repainted and cleaned properly it was filthy! Confetti everywhere. woke up constantly between 11.30 and 3 by my high heels clomping on the stupidly chosen stone floors outside the rooms, doors slamming & rowdy behaviour. to be honest as a sole female traveller, I felt a bit vulnerable there. 6.30 the traffic starts on the road outside which is very busy...so after about 4 hours sleep i got up! To be honest i needed a break to get over the break! Views of the quayside.....what blooming views, the only views i had were of walker! The hotel is not situated on the main keyside part, but on a run down and scruffy part of newcastle. dont be fooled into thinking you are staying on the plush quayside...you aren't., you need to pay the price for that. this is not the best part of newcastle you can stay in, i have worked this area as a social worker, so i know what goes on there. I would suggest to sole travellers and families you dont stay here. Inn keepers lodge have 2 hotels the best is the gosforth one, which is where i usually stay when not driven to change what i know in search of a bargain! ful price they are only £59 a night for family room and are always clean and includes breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 June 2009

We stayed at the Newcastle apartments for 3 nights,they are lovely!We had a two bedroom which had a large balcony and overlooked the quayside.
They are furnised to the highest quality and had two modern bathrooms,and a kitchen area.
We parked our car in a secured carpark right next door,and this was free.
If you want to get into town it is a 20 min walk right along the quayside which is a nicewalk,because you pass all the bridges on the way.If you dont feel like walking they have a regular bus service.On the sunday they had a big street market down by the quay.
They did have a stag and hen party in at the same time and we were worried it would turn noisy but we didnt hear a thing.
Do ask to be away from the road because the one bed apartments face this and it was noisy so this is why we upgraded to a two bed.
Overall i would deffinatly recomend these as an alternative to a hotel becasue you have all your own flexability to go out ,stay in,or do you own thing.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2009

What a place ! This really is a top notch set up. The apartments are really nice, I dont know Newcastle at all so booked it off the back of Expedia and Tripadvisor. It cost £95 between 4 of us which was the initial draw ! The receptionist was lovely, the apartment huge and had a balcony over looing the tyne bridge,it has secure parking, just a 10/15 minute walk to the heart of the quayside plus there's a couple of bars on the way. We were in town to see The Specials which was a brilliant night and this accomodation was the icing on the cake. I have previously paid the same amount of money to stay in some right dives and then had to pay for parking on top. I dont know how anyone could give it negative comments.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends