“Good base to explore Newcastle, but no frills” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of City Apartments Newcastle - Quayside

City Apartments Newcastle - Quayside
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Good base to explore Newcastle, but no frills”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

We stayed in apartment 1 from 28-30/03/2010. We stayed to watch Nottingham Forest play Newcastle United at St James Park.

The apartments were quite a distance up the Quayside from bars and pubs - about a 10 minute walk, then another 10 minute walk up steep hills into the city centre. We got a taxi back as the weather was awful and this cost £6.

The apartment was quite basic, with no wardrobe. The dishwasher had a notice on it saying it was out of order, and this was not fixed during our stay, and staff never mentioned it. It seemed to have been out of action for sometime, and I washed all the cutlery and crockery before using it, as it did not look clean. The wine glasses even had lipstick marks on them. The bathroom was nice and the bed comfy. It did feel a bit like being in a cave though, as we had to keep the blinds closed all the time, the window in the front room looked straight onto a busy main road, and the bedroom window looked straight into the lobby area that lead to all the other apartments. When I booked the apartment it said 1 bedroom, with balcony. However after asking for the key to the door at reception, we opened the door to find there was not balcony, just a pathway past the other apartments to the main road - so this was disappointing.

Secure parking under the apartment block was provided free of charge.

Overall, it was ok, but I don't think I'd stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kendal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

My wife and I stayed here during a weekend of March so that we could enjoy a break in Newcastle. In summary we would say that the location was good, the general facilities were OK and the staff and car park were excellent. The potential problem may be the noise from other guests on account of the open levels and lack of carpets in communal areas.

I suspect that the block was built for use as flats but that the recent economic downturn and resulting poor property value lead to be being set up as an apartment hotel. The location gives good views of the Tyne (if you have a two bed room apartment) and puts it at about half an hour’s riverside walk from Newcastle city centre. There is a bus stop less than 5 mins walk away that will take you into town every 10 mins. Just next to the hotel are a couple of pubs with character and shops are about 15 mins walk away. The car park which is free to guests is very secure and easy to access.

Our apartment had a few niggling problems such as a light that did not work, the odd paint chip etc but nothing worth complaining about. The kitchen included toaster, kettle, fridge, freezer, hob, cooker, dish washed, washing machine, crockery, cutlery, glasses, etc, but no coffee pot or freezer tray for ice cubes. The bathroom included bath and overhead shower. The double bedroom contained two singles pushed together, which was not particularly comfortable. Other furnishings were in good condition and comfortable. A TV was provided for the living area and a small one for the bedroom though the channels available were very limited. The WiFi worked (no pass word needed). On the whole the place was clean and functional, though rather stark rather than homely. We found the staff at reception to be very friendly, hospitable and helpful.

We did see a couple of hen parties staying at the place during our stay (they headed off to town dressed in the usual raunchy outfits and bags of good humour), however we were not aware of any rowdy behaviour on site, just the sound of high heels and giggles as groups returned during the early hours. The landings are open through the levels and not carpeted and so noise carries and echoes very badly. You can hear not just the sound of heals but the sound of a pin drop on the landings from your bed.

I would recommend this place to others, particularly for its good value, reasonable location and free secured parking. On the way to this place just pick up some cereal, bread and tea from the corner shops and you are set for a cheap breakfast. You could even make a further big cost saving by cooking your evening meal onsite. The place provides flexible options for a value stay. But if you want to push the boat out just follow the river into town for drinking and dining choices from budget to luxury.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Northumberland, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2009

We stayed for a night at the City Apartments on Northumberland Street. Very quiet and clean with all amenities. I found the decor very stark and the lighting cold but hey.... The location couldn't be more central and yet aware from noisy bars and clubs. We didn't hear another soul either. Will definitely use this facility again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

We stayed at this hotel the first weekend of October to watch Newcastle v Bristol City. We found this hotel to fantastoc. There is secure car parking at this hotel whcih is free. And the apartments we found to be very big. We had a two bedroom apartment with one of the rooms had a on-suite. We had TV's in both bedroom with the normal 1-5 channels and the tv in the lounge we had free-view. We found a good pub just down some steps just outside of the hotel reception. We will be coming back to this hotel next time we visit newcastle.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank tombond
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

I stayed at this property whilst in Newcastle on business and was pleasantly surprised. I had been concerned by other reviews I had read regarding noise levels due to stag and hen parties but as I was staying Sunday to Friday I didn’t experience any problems with that.

The 1-bed apartment is of a decent size, with an open plan kitchen/living room, an average size bathroom and a smallish double bedroom with a comfortable bed and good pillows. It also had a mini utility room with a washing machine, iron and ironing board which is useful.
Both the living room and bedroom have flat screen televisions and the kitchen is stocked with all the cutlery and cooking utensils you would expect.

The apartment isn’t situated in the prettiest area and I was dumped into what was probably their worst apartment as it overlooked the main road and a builder’s yard. I think this may have to do with the absolute bargain price I paid.
However, as I was there on business I wasn’t that concerned about this and the double glazing kept any noise out.
There is a huge Morrisons supermarket nearby with two petrol stations which just makes life easy.
Although you can easily walk in to the city centre from here I think that if you don’t have a car it could get expensive using taxis.

On a negative note, the wardrobe in the bedroom is totally pathetic and actually made me laugh when I saw it. It is so small that I couldn’t even hang my shirts in it as they draped on the floor of the cupboard so be prepared to hang your clothes all over the place. Cleanliness also leaves something to be desired, there was a dead fly on the floor of the bathroom, the bed sheets had some black marks and the kitchen hob and oven hadn’t been cleaned properly.
There was also a slightly unpleasant smell in the flat when I first arrived which I think came from the drains as once I’d had a shower the smell disappeared which indicates the flat may have been unoccupied for quite some time. However, these should all be seen as minor niggles.
One major thing I would mention is the lack of a toilet brush which I find totally unacceptable.

I do believe that these apartments are aimed more at the stag and hen party crowd rather than business travellers however this shouldn’t put you off staying here as the accommodation offers excellent value for money.
You get double the space of a hotel room, free secure parking, free WIFI (very useful), good location and helpful staff.
I would definitely choose this property when I need to return to Newcastle in the future.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Douglas, Isle of Man
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

I had two days to kill whilst waiting for my son who was being assessed at a special college. It may be expensive at weekends but it was great value and so much space. The views from the double roomed apartments are as good as on the adverts.

• Stayed April 2009
divonne les bains
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

once swanky...now manky....this hotel caters for stag and hen parties most weekends and an insider told me they also accomodate students in rooms they cannot fill and it has suffered as a consequence. the first room i stayed in smelt of vomit, spilt paint on the carpet in the bedroom. and a hole in the door where someone has tried to pick the lock. the decor was obviously once very nice but now they need to be repainted and cleaned properly it was filthy! Confetti everywhere. woke up constantly between 11.30 and 3 by my high heels clomping on the stupidly chosen stone floors outside the rooms, doors slamming & rowdy behaviour. to be honest as a sole female traveller, I felt a bit vulnerable there. 6.30 the traffic starts on the road outside which is very busy...so after about 4 hours sleep i got up! To be honest i needed a break to get over the break! Views of the quayside.....what blooming views, the only views i had were of walker! The hotel is not situated on the main keyside part, but on a run down and scruffy part of newcastle. dont be fooled into thinking you are staying on the plush quayside...you aren't., you need to pay the price for that. this is not the best part of newcastle you can stay in, i have worked this area as a social worker, so i know what goes on there. I would suggest to sole travellers and families you dont stay here. Inn keepers lodge have 2 hotels the best is the gosforth one, which is where i usually stay when not driven to change what i know in search of a bargain! ful price they are only £59 a night for family room and are always clean and includes breakfast.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo