“Very dirt”
Review of Grainger Hotel

Grainger Hotel
Reviewed 29 June 2013

the room look clean but on taking a closer look needed cleaning under chair and dressing table
shower had black moled and soap scum on shower door must have there some time air vent on bathroom wall full of dirt, toilet had not been cleaned, tapps over wash basin lose very dirt under wash basin my daugters room was no better I beleive if trading standards visited they would close it down we only stop one night but book two At the hospital for 7 hours with my daughter and preferred to drive home than stay an other night 4 hour drive

Room Tip: Just do not book find an other
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Me and 3 friends booked to stay in this hotel, for one night so we could enjoy the wellknown Newcastle nightlife.
On arriving to our room, we noticed it hadn't been cleaned following the departure of previous guests. When informing the receptionist of this, he seemed genuinely sorry, however the cleaners made us feel uncomfortable and bad for asking for our room to be cleaned. Which essentially should have been done prior to our arrival.
Additionally in the morning, I woke up covered in bites, causing me to have a severe reaction and to have to take time off work. Furthermore, whatever insect had feasted on me, managed to get into my suitcase and make a suitable living in my home and continued to cause me problems.
The general cleanliness of the hotel was poor, breakfast were merely fruit and toast and the staff were uncooperative.
Moreover, they have a strange policy where you have to hand your keys in everytime you leave the hotel, which was annoying.
However, the room size was ok (We had the quad room) and the hotel was closely located to town (only a fiver in taxi).
The shower was better than mine at home, but the toilet felt like it was about to fall over and so did the sink.
Finally they did not provide full towels as I was told, they had only given us 3 tiny hand towels between 4 of us.

I would not recommend staying here unless you don't mind dirtiness and been bitten to death.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2013

The rooms were tiny, and unbearably hot. Opening the window just allowed in the noise from the road and revellers rolling home. Combined with the uncomfortable beds I had nearly zero sleep. Keys have to be handed in... Good luck getting the right key back. My friend was given the complete wrong key and I was told the room I was in and had been all day wasn't mine when I went to get the keys back. My room mate was nearly kicked out of the hotel despite the fact the booking was in her name and all of her stuff in the room. The staffs attitude was disgusting. There was a large group of us staying in seperate rooms and they wouldn't let us visit each other between the rooms. We didn't bring anyone extra and everyone slept in their right rooms but they wanted to know exactly how long we'd be in each others rooms and would come & chase us out like school children. Didn't bother with breakfast based of the overall standard of the hotel. Would genuinely rather sleep on the street than go back here

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Stayed here for two nights for a gig and to see Newcastle. I wish we'd have paid more for a different hotel! The room was tiny, and boiling hot but we couldn't open the window because of the amount of traffic on the road outside. (Traffic obviously not the hotel's fault!)

The bed was extremely uncomfortable, to the point where my back was still hurting a week later. The bathroom was tiny and not completely clean, though the shower itself was great.

Guests are expected to leave their keys with reception when they go out which made me really uncomfortable as there was different staff at the reception each time we saw them, so anyone could have asked for our key.

Breakfast was terrible, the toaster took around 10 minutes to toast and the selection of food wasn't great.

Car parking was £5 extra per day/night, and our request for this was ignored though thankfully we found a (free) space right outside the hotel anyway.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed here overnight after a gig at the Metro Arena. Easy walk to the arena and back, although all uphill coming back! The room we had in the attic was minute and the bathroom was unbelievably tiny, but on the plus side it was clean, warm and comfortable. The bed was a bit lumpy and I wouldn't have wanted to be in it for more than one night. The staff were fairly pleasant and helpful in regards to getting to the arena, etc. The breakfast was continental, help yourself, but adequate. To sum up, if you want luxury or high quality stay away, but if you want cheap and clean give it a go.

Room Tip: The attic rooms at the front are tiny so perhaps avoid them
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Dont go there!!!!!!Customer service is appalling. The so called manager is not interested in clients at all.
We recently stayed there for one night which was enough.
The rooms are far too small.
When we arrived there was no heating on in the rooms. I found an old fan heater in our room which had seen better days!!My elderly mother and aunt had no heating in their room either and the lights were not working.
I was offered a another room for my mum and aunt and a fan heater was eventually brought in for them.
The beds had no mattress covers.

Some girls complained at reception whilst I was there that their room door would not lock,the shower did not work and they found bits of glass under the bed.!!!!They asked for their money back.The man did not even apologise.

I believe a millionaire owns this hotel.He needs to get his act together and spend money on people who are professionally qualified and have the customer service skills that are required.

I believe there are lots of complaints at weekends too.

Letsbookhotel.com for gods sake take this off your site now.

Room Tip: Check size before booking.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ian G
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Adequate at best and only Nescafe available at breakfast! Even the tackiest places I've stayed in in the UK make some concession to 'proper' coffee. Pleasant enough staff but at £50 for the night I did not get anything resembling value for money.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business