“Dirty!unsafe!rude!money grabbers!”

Grainger Hotel
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Dirty!unsafe!rude!money grabbers!”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Ok I was a student last year and I've seen some sorry sights but the grainger hotel tops it all. You walk in and it stinks of kebabs, reception area was dirty with food lying everywhere, wallpaper falling off walls and carpet bogging!

I arrived in morning and he said my room was ready and there were no rooms ready. I sat in lobby and waited. He then came over and said if I wanted a room now could I give him ten pound, I said no chance I'll wait. He then said ok your room us ready? He just totally chanced him arm! I'm a young girl traveling on my own so felt bit vulnerable.

Receptionist asked for payment but it was 2 quid to use my debit card! I said noway and offered him cash. He refused to accept it cause it's northern Irish money, he made me go out in lashing rain to get money from bank or I couldn't stay so I had no choice.

He then asked me for 2 quid for breakfast? I said it was included and I didn't even want any. He then offered me breakfast for free. Unbelievable the lengths he went to for more money.

My room was stinkin, used soap, toenail on carpet,room was literally falling apart. Any time I left the hotel the reception staff didn't even acknowledge me. Always on their mobiles. I wanted to ask then a question and he rolled his eyes cause he had to get off the mobile.

Area is a ghetto, there was a man murdered outside the hotel two years ago. Felt so unsafe.

I'm really not picky but this place was shocking! Believe all the reviews, please don't stay there!!!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Kerryraf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I checked in on Thursday 12th September 2013, room no.6 single 9.30 pm approximate. Never come agin except keep heating is on. I ask to reception that no heating, he told me that owner told him not to put heating on. Even he told me that receptionist keep portable heater on under his desk. He offer me for portable heater but I do not like it, so I ask him to provide more blanket. During night part of my body out of blanket fill very cold, I been out of bed at 1am and 2nd time 5.30 am at this time ask to heating on, but same reply. Ask for portable heater at that timehe told me that other guest take it. Ask before booking if you need heating.

Room Tip: Ask before booking if you need heating.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 129Hari

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The Grainger Hotel is about a 20 mins walk from Newcastle city center. The road is quite uphill, so with much luggage a cab is recommended. From the outside, the hotel looks decent. Staff is friendly and helpful. The good impression did not last long though. When walking to my room (115 on first floor, twin ensuite) I noticed that the hotel is quite old and not much maintenance has been done. The hallways and stairs especially were rather dusty. The room itself was even more dated with the table resting on a chair, very old water cooker (should be replaced - inside is rusty), dirty floor in the shower room and toilet (many stains). Isolation is not good either; you can hear people when they walk through the corridor as if there was no door... It is clear that this place has not been refurbished in a long time and it is in deperate need to.

Paying by card involves an additional £2 charge... Wifi is £5 per 24 hours... Car park is £5 per 24 hours... Apart from the car park, in my opinion (and in these 'modern' time we live in) this should be complimentary. Not many guests would pay £5 per night for wifi unless they are deperate to get connected.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel. Pay a little bit more and there are enough nicer ones in/around NCL.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The hotel was fairly clean and tidy and for the money very good value. The only down fall was the post code which they are experiencing difficulties with as you end up in the town centre no where near the hotel a night mare to find if you don't already know the location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I recently went to the Test match at Durham to see England. Due to booking late there was nothing left in Durham at a sensible price so I stayed in Newcastle. The hotel cost me £33 for the night for a single en suite room with continental breakfast. Be clear, this really is budget but spotlessly clean did the job. A comfy bed, lovely hot power shower, flat screen tv and tea and coffee making facilities... basic but spot on. There are cheaper rooms with shared facilities as well. Its a little out of the town centre and a taxi to the station was £4.80 so bear that in mind, but with 24 hour reception, breakfast served 7-10.30 and check out at 11am I thought this was fine. You can park outside on the road or there is secure parking for a fiver behind the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank laura s
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed here for one night which means anything is tolerable! It was a tiny tiny room, just big enough for the bed, with a bathroom hidden behind a wardrobe looking door. It had a good TV and drink facilities (although we didn't use them). The price is cheap, the breakfast was basic but fine and the staff seemed friendly enough - but we were only in the room for about 7 hours! The only real problem was the room was ridiculously hot, even with the window open, meaning I didn't sleep too well. All in all not bad for the money, and we'd probably stay there again if needing a place for only a nights sleep.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ardrishaig, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Stayed in a single room, Clean Bed, Good TV and Walk in Power Shower (room 104). Room was clean and tidy Perfect if all you want is a bed for the night!! Secure parking at rear of hotel. Perfect for groups and people going for a night out.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business