“creepy neighborhood and noisy/gloomy hotel”
Review of Grainger Hotel

Grainger Hotel
Reviewed 10 April 2014

first it was for TOO far from everywhere in the city. second the neighborhood was pretty creepy, i was so scared when i was walking on the street to go to the hotel. the receptionists were not friendly at all: no smile, use of imperatives while talking. the bathroom of my room I'm pretty sure wasn't properly cleaned. both next to the hand wash area and in the shower cube, there were two half used soaps with hair on them. at nights, there was so much noise right in front of my door that -being already scared- I had to jump a few times in the middle of my sleep. the Internet was working only in one certain corner of the room-and it was slow. overall, very bad experience with it and do not recommend it at all.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank daff0dile

Reviewed 9 March 2014

our room was good value for money as got an offer- room is tiny compared to picture! furniture very dated, curtains held up by odd pole. my mattress had hole down one side and I had to stuff it with pillow. quite noisy on a sat night. also a fair walk into town but easy taxi ride. staff pretty rude, didn't give directions etc. also disappeared on break so we were locked out room. on whole did the job, and ok for price but wouldn't rush back

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed with a friend for 1 night!
Location? Very dodgey street, half an hour walking to the center, 1,55 pounds if you want to take the bus, outside traffic, very insecure, people shouting, very uncomfortable.
Service? We met 3 different people in reception, 2 of them very rude, the last one (when we check out) a little bit better, not impressed!
Rooms? Me and my friend stayed in a double room with two beds. The first thing we found was a dirty towel on the floor, the control remote of the tv was broken so the tv had only one channel, although the bathroom smell like bleach not clean at all, shower vas disgusting with some kind of stain in the floor, the bathroom light was not working, the headboard of one bed was broken on the floor, the carpet was dirty and after sleeping there my friend woke up with 2 spider bites in her arm.
I understand we paid only 34 pounds, but to be honest I've paid even less in some b&b's that are much better. I could continue but I guess there's no point! Not impressed at all! Very bad experience!

Room Tip: If you have other option, that's your option!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carlos B
Reviewed 9 February 2014

we booked into this hotel, and when we got into the rooms sat on the beds to find the mattresses belonged in a skip, there was nothing left in them and you could feel the cross member of the bed base across your back really bad nights sleep, we had a room on the road side front of building loads of traffic noise, also kept awake all night due to noise in hotel you can hear people on the stairs and in the rooms on the floor above. rooms were too small, when my wife pulled the curtains open in the morning they came off the rail, the top covers on the beds were like cardboard felt like cord carpet, when we pulled them off we found what looked like curry & food stains on the underside of it near the bottom of the bed. staff seemed miserable just sat at desk felt like they were only there to pass you the key and take it back off you when you leave.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnkennedy1963
Reviewed 31 January 2014

When arrived a lot of dodgey people about outside,got in room no heating.when we came back in evening got into bed and realised no pillowcases on pillows but before that closed curtains and didn't cover window so had 6 inch gap either end and on the main road,anyway back in the bed and the mattress was knackered so didn't have a good night and then in the morning no hot water

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma T
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for one night. The hotel staff were very unwelcoming, the rooms were tiny as well as the bathrooms. The location is very poor and near what seemed to be a hang out for heavy drug users. The breakfast was poor, with a lack of choice

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wiresandwaves
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is the worst I have ever stayed in....staff so unfriendly and not helpful....room was tiny and no where to sit other than the bed.....u have to hand key into reception when u r going out when we came back in we had to wait 20 mins for someone to come to reception to give us our key....I had to fone the hotel from my mobile and explain I was waiting for my key....no apology at all..he looked at us as if we were a nuisense to him.....staff not interested at all....my advice would be to avoid

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends