“Another great visit” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barluga

Barluga
Price range: US$55 - US$55
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Another great visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Had another really fantastic family meal at Barluga. Eight of us had a table booked and were really well looked after by a very efficient and friendly waitress. After sorting drinks, we ordered starters and mains which involved some adjustments but everything arrived exactly as ordered. A mixture of Sunday lunch (including the trio of meats), butchers steak, mussels, burgers, steak sand which, and pasta were the requirement.The food was really good as always and we all enjoyed the meal - the empty plates proof of this including the kids. We always enjoy the experience here and the food quality is as good as anywhere. We all look forward to returning and this will be soon. Thanks Barluga

• Visited June 2014

Darlington, United Kingdom
“Good food and service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We ate here before going to a concert, and didn't want a heavy meal. We had several light bites, spicy chicken wings, sausage roll and pickle, tempura prawns, pork and leek sausages, french fries, bread and olives. Very tasty. Had 2 drinks each and it was £48 in total. Very good service, nice ambience.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Amazing customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Was trying to book a VIP area in town for my friends birthday. Emailed Barluga first and they got back to me straight away saying area available. I then never got back to them until the night before the event. Late as usual. I was amazed by the quick response and the service I received from them. I was even sorting things out still on the day via email and the responses were immediate. I'm very impressed at the customer service.
When we arrived the area was roped off and bottle fizz waiting on ice. We were greeted by the member of staff I had been dealing with and he was lovely. Poured us our drinks and was at hand if we needed him.
It made our night. A lovely surprise for my friend and a guaranteed seat for us all on a busy Saturday night. The atmosphere in the pub was buzzing. Thank you Barluga for your wonderful service and making our night a one to remember!

Visited June 2014
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
“Average, slow, overpriced with friendly waitresses”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Visited this place on a Saturday lunch time with a friend (on my friends recommendation) The menu is so uninspiring it took forever for me to find anything I fancied. My friend ordered bread & olives for us to share, she ordered a glass of wine, I ordered a cocktail. My cocktail took 15 minutes to arrive. The bread (6 slices) was stale, clearly it had been cut in advance and left around, for £5:90 that is a disgrace. I skipped starter and went for a salad for main. It was drenched in lots of very oily vinaigrette which obviously left the rocket leaves soggy proving it had obviously been "poured" on way too far in advance. I took the risk of ordering a second cocktail which took even longer than the last one. The waitresses, sensing I was not impressed by this announced that when it arrived it would not be on my bill. A slight saving grace.
In summary, I have to stress the waitresses were efficient and friendly. And the cocktail was actually very refreshing (once it arrived) I couldn't help noticing on glancing over towards the "open kitchen" on the way out that although the place was heaving there was a chef propping up his station texting away. Wasn't sure if this unprofessional sight was the pinnacle of a very average meal.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“A good city centre oasis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have visited only during the day, never in the evening so I cannot speak of its place in the evening scene in Newcastle.
It is a bright cheerful welcoming place. One big plus for me is that , unlike most Bars in the Northeast, one can sit down and someone will come to take an order.
There is a separate dining area overlooking the main ground floor area. The menu is quite interesting and caters for a wide range of tastes from snack to three courses. Prices reflect its situation, just a short walk from the Monument and the Theatre Royal.

• Visited April 2014