“Don't just rely on reputation earn it every day!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blackfriars Restaurant

Blackfriars Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Blackfriars Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$0 - US$74
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Newcastle Central Station
Description: Blackfriars Restaurant in Newcastle is Britain���s oldest purpose-built restaurant, dating back to 1239 when it was used as a refectory by hungry monks. Luckily the food is a bit more modern, and the award-winning menu and historical surrounds have made this one of Newcastle���s most popular restaurants. Whether you���re dining in the candlelit medieval banquet hall, the intimate dining room or the garden terrace, be sure to arrive early for a delicious cocktail at the bar. The menu never fails to impress, and favourite dishes include the wild rabbit stew with prunes, roasted almonds and Jerusalem pur��e and grilled scallops with roast pumpkin, French beans and beetroot coulis. Blackfriars Restaurant has an acclaimed wine list.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Don't just rely on reputation earn it every day!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this restaurant for a 21st birthday celebration following rave reviews from friends. I contacted the restaurant in advance as one of our party has special dietary requirements. I also told them it was a special celebration. The table we were allocated was awful as we had a till directly behind us and staff were frequently busy here. We were also on the edge of the main passage to the kitchen which was busy! The service was efficient but with what I can only describe as forced customer service. We had the set early menu which was good but not as spectacular as I had imagined. I had a fish cake starter which was underwhelming and the chicken main which was good. The custard tart for dessert was tasteless. The food across the rest of the party was mixed some good some decidedly average. The fish in particular was very heavy and greasy. For those who have read any of my previous reviews I generally look for the positive aspects which takes service and price into consideration. Something is missing at this restaurant, maybe relying on reputation in the past? Sometimes it is a case of the Emperors new clothes...who will dare to criticise this top Newcastle establishment. I felt very disappointed with what should have been a wonderful night which turned into an okay food night. Perhaps it is always better to go to a tried and tested for a special celebration night.

1 Thank Gillian3663

Northumberland, United Kingdom
“Good value for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Only my second visit, the first being for a largish Christmas lunch in December 2013. The lunchtime menu was very good value and had a really good number of interesting choices for each course. All our (we were three and had two courses each) choices tasted good and were well presented. Service was good - note that the service charge was included in the bill. The portions are not huge, ie not Geordie falling off the plate, but more than adequate.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank ASH696
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very nice food and friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had a sunday beef roast here recently and the staff were lovely to us.

When they booked our table the lady on the phone was very friendly.

the food was well cooked and we would certainly come again.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AngeloftheNorth46
“Just okay food. Not good value for money. Lovely service though. ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I'd been to Blackfriars only once before my most recent visit last night. The first time my partner and I dined there we weren't really blown away by the food and the service wasn't so good either. Since then my brother and his partner have eaten there regularly and said that it was much improved. After last night I can't say I'd totally agree. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't brilliant.
We started with the fish trencher for two and we were told it was the last portion. I'm not sure if it had been on the pass for a while but the crispy monkfish was thin and dry, as we're the flat breads that accompanied it. The potted crab was very tasty but very small nothing more than a shot glass full and the mackerel was pleasant but nothing special. A sharing platter should, I think, be abundant and this seemed rather mean. We weren't given any plates for our starter so we had to eat from the small side plates we'd eaten our bread from.

After we'd eaten our starter we waited around 40 minutes for our empty plates to be cleared away and felt a bit ignored after a while. When we asked for drinks we assumed it would alert the staff to the fact that our empty plates and sharing platter were still on our table but it didn't. Eventually they were cleared and our mains were served a little later. I have to say that my steak looked very appetising. Unfortunately, the bone marrow fritter on top must have melted completely in the frier as it was nothing more than an empty ball of breadcrumb. The peppercorn sauce didn't taste of pepper either. It was savoury and rich but had no kick. The chips and steak were both very good but for £25 for my main, I expected everything to be on point. My partner's duck, which he was advised would be served pink, was pretty overdone. Tasty, but a little tough and grey. We decided against desserts and asked for the bill. When it came I was a little shocked at the price until I discovered we'd been given the wrong bill. So glad I didn't just throw down my card and pay up as our bill came in at around £50 cheaper than the one we were issued with. Our server was very apologetic and we were quickly given the correct bill. Still, at over £100 for two, I don't think it represented value for money. Having eaten at plenty of fine dining/higher end places in my time, I can say that my experience at Blackfriars was just okay. I won't be back again in a hurry unless they re-think their price point. I ate at a restaurant in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago where the food was much better and I paid £18.50 for 3 courses. For what I paid last night I could have treated my partner to 3 courses from prix fixe menu at a Michelin starred restaurant and eaten very well indeed. One thing I will say is that our server, a dark haired young lady, was so warm and friendly and took the time to chat and really make us feel looked after. I hope the owners hold on to her as she's a real asset to the restaurant. The food needs to sharpen up though.

Gateshead, United Kingdom
“great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

great food, great service will be back not cheap but you only get what you pay for would recommend to anyone for a special ocassion

• Visited November 2013