“Disappointing”

The Botanist
Ranked #116 of 1,356 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: It started with a seed. An idea shared amongst friends. They imagined a secret garden, where all can enjoy the curious refreshments of nature...
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having used this venue several times for our monthly get together my friends and I came here again tonight, but we all found ourselves pretty disappointed. Unusually we all opted for the same Pan Fried Garlic Prawn Salad as a main course as it seemed a perfect fresh choice for a lovely summer evening - sadly the dish that we were served bore little resemblance to the menu description. What appeared was basically a dish of fresh kale with five microwaved prawns and very little of much else! Those prawns had definitely not seen either a clove of garlic or a frying pan!! At £11.95 this was a poor main course, and we ended up ordering desserts as we all still felt hungry.

We did share our views with our server and a senior member of staff came along and said she'd pass our comments on to the chef, however, there was no attempt to try and put things right with an adjustment to the bill. We couldn't fault our server who was helpful and friendly, we love the venue but won't be in a hurry to return or recommend as we felt our comments were not taken seriously - a missed opportunity to keep customers satisfied!

BotanistNCL, Manager at The Botanist, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Gordon M,

I am very sorry you feel this way. We do have a manager at the kitchen window for most of the day, to ensure food goes out correctly. The menu description of the salad is also exactly what goes into it, 'Pan Fried Garlic Prawns with kale, sugar snap peas, red onion, crushed peanuts and a coriander and mint yogurt dressing'. There are no other ingredients and unfortunately this matter is out of our hands as our Head Office decide on our menu, but I will pass on your comments.
If you would like to pass your concerns onto the General Manager please email andrewshielredfern@thebotanist.uk.com and he will be sure to assist you further :)

Write a ReviewReviews (3,889)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Brought my parents here for a Saturday night meal & drinks when they were up visiting. Have been here a few times for food and always thought it was solid enough, with the main draw being the bar and atmosphere with live music ect. We had an enjoyable evening and no complaints with the service at all, waiter was attentive and friendly. We all agreed however the food was excruciatingly poor for the price paid. We thought maybe the chef had left for the day or there were some other issues we weren’t aware of because I can’t imagine this is the sort of standard they usually operate to. Calamari was almost inedible burnt, greasy, and measly portion. Edamame beans greasy and unpleasant, Katsu chicken burger the most dry and tasteless thing you can imagine, & ditto pork sknitzel which was like something frozen you would stick in the oven yourself on a week night, steak very bland ect ect. If the venue see this I’d be interested to know if there did encounter any issues on Saturday that could have contributed to this as I’d like to think they were just having a bad day. In hindsight should have complained but didn’t want to sour an otherwise enjoyable evening.

Hi cmhf2018,

We are so sorry to hear this! This is most definitely not the standard we usually perform too. Please send a copy of this complaint and your concerns to andrewshielredfern@thebotanist.uk.com and he will be sure to assist you with these issues! :) I hope you do come back again and realize that this is not the standard you usually perform too.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

For my 21st birthday, a couple of friends and I went for a cocktail making class at The Botanist! Wow, what an experience! Our teacher, Jess, was so friendly and chatty and really sweet! We had an amazing time and she made us feel at ease! She also left me a little note saying ‘Happy Birthday’! She is wonderful, the cocktails are unique and delicious and I will definitely be back again! Thank You Jess!

Hi LessonsInDecorum,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I think one of your friends also wrote one for Jess and her masterclass so we will definitely get her a little gift as a thank you! Hope to see you again soon :)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited the Botanist on a Monday afternoon and it was a great bar. The staff were great, they had a number of beers on tap and the cocktails a speciality. the conservatory feeling was wonderful with lots of light and airy space whilst still being indoors..

Hi john t,

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review. We are so pleased to hear you had a great time with us on your visit. We do change up our Ales to try and get as much local produce is as we can :) Hope to see you again sometime soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Attend a master class tonight (21st June )
Jess was our teacher for tonight and what can I say she was amazing. Real down to earth lass and so friendly
Loved having her as a teacher
Took her time showing us and made it so fun that we all enjoyed it
Even left a note for my friend who’s 21st it was on the day. Definitely makes me wanna come back here and will bring people back definitely.
Thanks for an amazing night

1  Thank samwintersgill

Hi samwintersgill,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your masterclass! We will be sure to pass on our thanks to Jess.
We would love to see you again soon! x