“Excellent”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Matthew Bank
Transit: Ilford Road
Description: Our award-winning Restaurant (three AA Rosettes) is based on simple but firm principles. We start with the best ingredients we can find, preferably local (some from the hotel garden), and we believe taste is more important than style. Our Head Chef, Michael Penaluna, and his team, make it their business to get to know our suppliers, then use their skills to produce dishes that enhance rather than confuse the flavours. Classic techniques but a contemporary approach to produce Modern British dishes that are light, fresh, flavoursome. Whether you fancy our breakfast which is bigger, tastier and healthier than ever, great value Lunch Menu, House Menu Dinner Menu, you'll find an atmosphere that's warm, relaxed and friendly. Our Restaurant has two dining areas: the former music room with earthy tones and fun splashes or orange and the light and leafy Garden Room with its summer terrace.
Steppingley
“Excellent”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Good balance between formality and friendliness. The good wine list is worth the journey on its own. Very good food, well cooked and well served. The lemon sorbet was perhaps a little too acid for me and didn't quite work on the plate with two ice creams but I am being picky. A thoroughly enjoyable evening.

• Visited May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Choice and quality”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Food, service and the restaurant itself were all really lovely and made for a special experiance - we were not rushed - plenty of choice when to dine - breakfast too was amazing

Visited May 2014
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My partner and I occasionally treat ourselves to by going out for afternoon tea. I must say that Jesmond Dene House's offering was excellent, bettering many places we've been recently and every bit as good as the famous Betty's afternoon tea. A lovely building set in a stunning location too. Well worth a visit.

London, United Kingdom
“The Best!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have been lucky enough to eat at Jesmond Dene House on several occasions, this is my first review of the restaurant on the topic of evening meal and breakfast.

Stayed at hotel for the mid-week B&B deal (review for hotel separate to this review) for my 21st birthday, we booked separately from our room to have our evening meal at 8pm (as this was not included in price of stay)

We arrived from our room and sat ourselves in the bar area, we were immediately greeted by a friendly host who gave us our menus. Order's were then taken swiftly for drinks, and then for food.

We ordered from the al-a-carte menu (there is also a house menu and tasting menu which diners can choose from) and we're taken through the the elegant dining room. The restaurant was not very busy at all, and the main customer base seemed to be that of professionals obviously using the hotel and its facilities for an overnight business stay.

Between each course we were given complimentary dishes to try, a lovely touch and extension to our evening.

For starter I had the Confit Egg which I have to say is one of the most exquisite dishes I have ever tasted. My Partner had the mackerel which is said was also delicious.

For main we both had the Beef Fillet. We knew before we were due to dine again to Jesmond Dene to order this for our mains as on our previous visit this is the dish my Partner had. He said the dish had the nicest piece of Beef he had ever eaten, cooked and seasoned perfectly with great accompaniments.

For dessert we shared a large cheese board. The server brought us out the cheese trolley with a selection of about 20 types of cheeses for us to choose from. Spoilt for choice. The server went through each and every cheese for us explaining to us the cheese's favour and even a little history about the cheese!

Service of course was fantastic, a lovely little touch at the end of the evening when we returned back to the bar and the host from before brought me a plate of all little cakes on and a candle for my birthday.

Breakfast was the following morning was delicious, great choice of continental foods in other dining room also.
If it hadn't been included in the price of our room deal, I would have been a little disappointed paying £18 each for the amount of English Breakfast both my partner and I received. However the food was of course to an amazing standard, and the quality of produce could not be faulted.

Of course, needless to say will be returning. The best restaurant in the North of England by far.

• Visited February 2014
“Bank Holiday lunch”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I had lunch with my daughter last bank holiday and I was very impressed.

I booked on a whim with little notice, easy to book, service was excellent, prompt but not rushed.

Bread was lovely! Freshly made and delicious. We had an unusual special, lobster burger! Very tasty.

Absolutely no complaints.

Next time I am trying the afternoon tea, it looked fabulous!