“Decent pre-match curry house” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #666 of 1,243 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$19 - US$25
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European, Bangladeshi
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Description: Lb Restaurant is based on Clayton Street. The building is an one of the historic Richard Grainger's creations, the outside of the property is simply magnificent of it's great detail. Mr Richard Grainger also was the man behind of the creation of Newcastle's centre. Mr.Latif has always had a keen interest of his creations. You may remember Mr.Latif from 'Al-Helal' take-away in jesmond. We have changed the name due to some problems but we still under the same management!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Decent pre-match curry house”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Went here with friends before the match on a Wednesday night. There weren't many folk in, but it was pretty early in the evening. Staff were friendly, and were happy to make recommendations. One fella in particular was a bit of a character (in a good way).

My chicken tikka balti was tasty, although could perhaps have had a bit more heat for my taste. The lamb chili rasoon my friend had was very good - rich and spicy and with a good waft of fried garlic. I'd probably give that a bash next time I went. Breads and sundries were all fine.

Came to just under a hundred quid for four people - curries, breads and rices, and a couple of large bottles of lager each. Seemed reasonable to me.

I'll definitely come back here - just seems to be a decent, reliable place to get some good curries.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank GeoffWoade
ZackNewcastle88, Owner at LB Restaurant, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thanks for the review :) By the way if you do like it with a bit more heat please my friend do not hesitate to ask as we are more than happy to make your food better for yourself, look forward to be serving you next time!

newcastle
“Some like it hot!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Tried LB for the first time and was really impressed. On first walking in the aroma of spice was sensational. The restaurant was dark which I like. Dark lighting and dark wallpaper this place looks and smells like an old fashioned curry house.

The food itself was superb. I got bhuna prawn on puree for starter and it was gorgeous. Then I has a madras. It was very very hot. My brother ordered tikka Pathia and that was red hot as well. Along with the heat though was fantastic flavour. If you like spice then you wont be disappointed but if you aren't so keen on spice then order a notch down from what you normally order would be my advice.

Service was quick and the price was reasonable too. Infact for the bargain hunters out there like myself they do a Thursday and Sunday special. Something like 5 courses for £12.95.

I would highly recommend LB and for me it was the nicest indian meal I have had.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank ray g
Thank you for nice honest review! :) You're more than welcome here anytime my friend!
P.S. Great choice of food too!
Geraldton WA
“Great service & good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I had been craving Indian food for about five weeks, and finally satisfied my craving at LB Restaurant while I was in Newcastle with my husband. The welcome we got on arrival was memorable, and set the tone for very attentive service for the duration of our meal.
The food we ordered more than met our expectation, and was consistent with good Indian food we have eaten in other places.
More than happy with the overall package.

2 Thank SallyGeraldtonWA
London, United Kingdom
“"It'll be ready in 15-20mins" is their catchphrase”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

1 weeks notice, 26 guests celebrating my sisters first baby, arrived on time and were happily seated, after everyone worked out who they wanted to sit by and where. All in good spirits after a fun day of fun and games.
Best part of an hour later someone took our drinks order, took several attempts for the waiter to realise we were asking what drink they had but finally he got it and we ordered. Drinks turned up over the next 15mins and comments were made on the quality of the drinks, but continued to enjoy ourselves.
More time passed and after some chancing someone took our food order. So much time I'd forgotten what I had decided to have. But I decided and ordered.
Time ticked by even more and then a plates of poppadoms arrived. After 5 mins people started eating them, 10mins after the poppadoms arrived the sauces/topping arrived. My sister was promised it would have a dip she wanted when it didn't (can't remember which one but she does).
Yay, the starters started to arrive. On person ordered a meat samosa and was given a single piece of unseasoned chicken wrapped in pastry and the waiter insisted it was a samosa. Another ordered a veg samosa and was given a veg role being told "It's all vegetables isn't it?". By this time we were all hungry as we'd been waiting 2 hours so they just had them.
Another half hour passed and another query on where the food was and we were told another 15-20mins, something they had said every time we asked a question. During our wait other customers were coming, eating and leaving and we all felt the staff were ignoring us.
It was decided we had now had enough and decided to leave handing cash as we left to cover what little we had. They weren't happy and stopped us from leaving being told to return to our seats and call of a sudden our food was ready.
We weren't having it and wanted to leave, we had a heavily pregnant woman and some young children with us. They tried to leave but were stopped by a very rude and forcful member of staff, after an argument they were allowed to leave as it was nearly 2300, The police were called who helped sort things out, however some money we had paid with had gone missing, All this time grinning manager changed the price owed from £120 to £110 then up to £170, despite one person trying deal with things the 'manager' went and spoke to my pregnant and very upset sister, trying to brush off our bad experience as normal no matter where you go and putting his arm over my sisters shoulder which she had to shrug him off. With the help of the police we were able to sort things and we left to have some chip from a local chippy and go relax over a few drinks at the Mile Castle.Two days later and my heavily pregnant sister is still stressed about the ordeal.
I was given a high praise from my mother and sister from many previous visits and was looking forward to this meal, I have been told it was under different management at those other rimes.

4 Thank BadWolfe
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Utterly shocking - Do not eat here.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I have eaten here once before about a year ago, at which point it appears the service was going downhill as even then the serving staff were cheeky, abrupt and actually having a laugh at our expense. Not to mention the price.

This time, our party arrived before 8pm, drinks orders not taken til near 9pm, we had to ASK them to take our meal order several times which they did just after 9pm, starters (poppadoms too) arrived at 10pm, they were tasty and polished off quickly.

When one of the starters arrived, it was presented to one of the party, at which point she was told, "Sorry, we don't have any vegetable samosa's, but here are some Onion Bhaji's, but its alright, it's all vegetables ain't it?". Couldn't have put it more eloquently my self.

We had to ask REPEATEDLY when the meals were going to be served, only to be told again and again "10 to 15 minutes". By 10.40, after being told "another 15 mins" we were so incensed by the service that some members of the party got up and tried to leave, at which point they were physically prevented from doing so, which is actually illegal.

The serving staff were quick to push people out of the way of the door and even threatened to "Snap your jaw mate" of one of the group after the same staff member tried to attack him and was restrained by another two members of staff. The same staff member also shut the door on one of the female members of the party, trapping her leg in the door and refused to allow police in when they arrived.

Mr Latif (manager, I presume) appeared, as if by magic. wielding a small wad of cash that we'd paid for starters and drinks, however some of it was missing, and he tried to say we had paid far less than we had. You can't talk to this man, he shouts and continuously talks over you, when you eventually manage to engage some form of dialogue, if he doesn't like the question, he glazes over and changes the subject, at least 3 times in my case to the same track on a broken old record "I am the manager, your food will be ready, we just want you to have a good time with us" (I was asking him to review the CCTV footage of us paying one of the staff).

Eventually, after police intervention, we were allowed to pay even more cash for the privilege of being messed around for 3 hours and being verbally harassed, then we were allowed to leave by the staff.

We went round the corner to the Magic Flame, obtained wonderful food in copious quantities for less than we paid for a Beer in LB (Latif's).

In short, if you get the hunger for some Bangladesh food in newcastle, DO NOT EAT HERE, run away, run away fast.

• 2 of 5 bubbles