“always lovely food”
Review of King Neptune

King Neptune
Price range: US$63 - US$63
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We have been to this restaurant many times and the food is always lovely and the service and staff excellent, well done.

1  Thank andpaulrossmitch

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I booked the King Neptune for my retirement party and had over 30 people there. Got the upstairs room to ourselves and they had even gone to the trouble of putting up retirement banners on the wall. Excellent speedy service considering there were so many of us and we all ordered individually from the early evening special rather than having a banquet. Food was served hot, was very tasty and for an early evening deal the portions were generous. The staff were friendly and efficient. Good value for money.

2  Thank elaine r
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I'm going to be quite honest and say 'I don’t like Chinese food' I never have and I suspect I never will. It's the high levels of MSG usually found in the food.

However, seeing as we were staying almost in China Town and we could see the big red arch from our hotel room we decided it would be foolish not to - that and I had had several colleagues rave about how good it was, and how I had to go. So we did as we were told, and off we went.

We checked trip advisor for recommendations and none of them really stood out for me, so we took a walk down Stowell Street (in the rain) to identify a suitable looking place. A lot of places were quite empty I must say, and I like to eat in a busy and bustling restaurant rather than a quiet one. My boyfriend had been recommended the Landmark, but I didn’t like the look of the table of Chinese mafia (I am blessed with an over active imagination) sitting in the window, the only customers as far as I could see. So when we walked past King Neptune's and it was busy we instantly decided that that was the place for us. They said they had a table for us, but that we would need to wait 10 minutes or so. We settled down in the bar with a drink and a large basket of prawn crackers to keep us going. The wait was probably more than 10 minutes, but the prawn crackers kept us busy, and we were soon seated at our table with menus in front of us.

Now, going back to my assertion that I don’t like Chinese food, I couldn't decide what I was going to have. Finally, after much deliberation we chose to share a quarter of duck to start with (this is the only thing I enjoy) and then we chose beef in chilli sauce with peppers and Singapore vermicelli noodles.

The duck was delicious, possibly the best duck I have ever had. A plate with a large mound of duck arrived, artfully decorated with carved flowers. The pancakes were plentiful and the hoisin was delicious, not the usual overly sweet paste you get, but a lighter, spicier version. In my opinion there could have been more cucumber, but that's just me and my liking for raw vegetation talking. We ate every last morsel of the duck, all the cucumber, spring onion and the pancakes (which were paper thin and stayed warm). I was fairly full at this point, so was pleased that our waiter told us there would be a short break between the duck and our main courses.

The mains arrives, a large glistening pile of beef and vegetables and a huge steaming pile of vermicelli noodles. The noodles were spicy and fragrant with shrimps, pieces of pork, egg and various vegetables hidden within. The beef was soft and juicy, although the vegetables were slightly too well cooked in my opinion. We didn’t do the mains justice really, and it was a shame we couldn’t take our left overs home with us.

The service was excellent, very attentive, and the wine delicious.

The bill came to £44 for a shared starter, 2 mains, 2 glasses of wine and 3 soft drinks. Not bad at all.

If anyone was looking for a recommendation in China Town, this one would be mine. And the duck might even tempt me back!!

1  Thank AyAitchAy
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked for a party of 10 adults and 5 children for my daughter's birthday. They put us on two separate tables. We ordered a the banquet for 6 or more as we wanted the monkfish. We did not get the monkfish or a crispy beef dish which was on the banquet. When we complained we were told it was because we were on separate tables and they had given more meat to the mens table which we had not asked for. We said as it was per head we still should have been given it. They would not back down. We said we should pay for the cheaper banquet then as we had been not given two dishes. After much haggling they decided to take 10% from our bill which was well over £300. The service from the waiter was terrible,wine plonked on table and missing cutlery when asked for a knife was told that they had given us one. The food was nice but no different from any other on Stowell Street. Will not go again,

2  Thank Pauline O
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Lunchtime menu good value. Service friendly and efficient. The food is full of flavour, sharply defined sauces. I have been visiting for over twenty years and have never had anything other than excellent meals.