“fantastic a+ restaurant”

Price range: US$7 - US$28
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Pani's Café opened January 1995 and run by a family of brothers and sisters. It was one of the first Italian style café in Newcastle. As authentically Italian as you can get without actually going to Italy. In Pani's Café you can find a different menu for day and night and a constantly updated special board. We offer you the chance to experience Italian home cooked food and to savour an authentic Italian coffee in a convivial atmosphere. A little piece of Italy in the heart of a beautiful city!!!
Reviewed 21 August 2014

i went here for my 30th birthday it was a last minute desicion as we were originally booked in at carluccios but at last moment 7 more people wished to join and carluccios couldnt deal with 23 people but panis were very happy to help they helped lift my friend in a wheelchair up and down the couple of steps to our seating area the staff were friendly service was fast especially as the restaurant was heaving all my friends loved there food and we highly recommend there lasagne i couldnt have asked for more

1  Thank staceyh1984

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We ate here on a Saturday night prior to a coast to Coast cycle. It surpassed our expectations in food quality and choice. Really excellent menu and wonderfully helpful and attentive staff. The lasagne was amazing as was the aubergine wrapped in Parma ham and cooked in tomato and cheese. We were Amazed how cheap it was for the quality.

I can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We've visited many times, as a couple, family or big group. Always well catered for, and great service. The place is always busy so the service can be variable depending on when you visit, but has a great range of food, and lovely wine. The price is very reasonable, and have recommended this to other family & friends previously & its always gone down well!

1  Thank Brodieloftus
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We just had dinner here on a Saturday night, and I think it might be our new favorite restaurant in Newcastle! We booked online, and it does get busy in the evenings so you should reserve to be safe. It's owned by a Sardinian family and the menu has lots of Sardinian specialities that I haven't seen before. All the staff were friendly and they used lots of Italian words which made me actually feel like we were back in Florence again on holiday.

Everything is very inexpensive on the menu, especially given the quality. We started with the Antipasto Sardo (8.95) which was a fantastic plate of olives, cheese, sliced Italian sausage, pancetta, crispy Sardinian music bread, cipolline onions, sun-dried tomatoes, and crostini. Perfect for two to share and everything was fresh and fantastic. A bite of that crispy bread (more like a cracker) with the cheese and sausage on top was one of the best tastes I've had in a long time. Just wanted more!

For our mains we got Malloreddus con Pani's Ragu (6.95) and Spigola. Malloreddus is Sardinian colored pasta - small pasta shapes that are red, green, and white - in a ragu of tender meat, borlotti beans, lentils, and veggies. The sauce had such a gorgeous savory flavor and coated every bite. It wasn't heavy like I expected - in fact, it "looks" like just plain pasta with some meat and beans in it - but when you taste it, you realize the sauce has infused the whole dish and the taste is luscious. The Spigola (12.95), my fiancé's favorite, was two pan-fried sea-bass fillets over black squid-ink pasta. The fish were tender and flaky and the pasta was so unique and I thought it was the best part of the dish.

At the end, we split a dish of pistachio, vanilla, and strawberry gelato (all delicious) and started plotting our return back. It is very casual, with almost more of a cafe vibe than a restaurant, but that really adds to the appeal. You really can't go wrong here - fantastic, fresh, authentic Italian food for more cheaper than you'd get elsewhere in town. Affordable Italian wines and beers too! Can't wait to go back, we want to try everything on the menu.

1  Thank Meredith B
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I've been to several Italian restaurants but I must say that Pani's is the best, by far.

The staff are very friendly and create a very welcoming atmosphere. They are very friendly and happy to chat and have a bit of banter. In many respects the staff are what makes Pani's special - many places serve good food but I always think that it is great service like this that makes me remember a place and want to come back.

We were a party of 17, a size that often corresponds with stressed staff and long waits for food. Not at Pani's. Despite some in our company chatting instead of reading the menu and other things that often lead to moans from waiting staff, our waiter was very patient and even had a laugh about it which was a great touch.

The food was of a very high standard and, washed down with some Italian wine and lager, made for an outstanding meal and very memorable experience. The fact that we had an Italian girl who lives in New York in our company who described the food as "the best Italian food I've had outside of Italy" says it all in my opinion.

Pani's is a place that, I suspect, you go to once and then just keep going back. The atmosphere, food and service make for a great dining experience and my meal at Pani's was among the best I've had in newcastle, for a variety of reasons. It is the place that I always suggest when we want to go out for food.

Go and check it out, you won't regret it.