“Simply excellent”

Kafeneon
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Friendly family run restaurant, with a warm atmosphere and amazing freshly prepared food. Great for any occasion so give it a try!
Reviewed 4 December 2013

There's nothing particularly fancy about Café Neon, no pretentious décor or daft staff that call you "sir". The atmosphere is always super friendly, the staff make you super relaxed and the service is spot on. The menu itself is super varied. There's something for everyone and, although I've been countless times I never get bored. But most of all the food is good, really good. It never takes too long to come, always tastes delicious and there's always enough on the plate. Best of all, when you can get two courses and a drink for under a tenner (even during busy hours) there's no reason not to go back. Honestly one of the best casual dining restaurants Newcastle has to offer.

daniel s, Owner at Kafeneon, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you!! This has to be one of my favourite reviews!! You pretty much summed up exactly what we are trying to create, thank you for recognising this and helping us spread the word. Hope to see you soon so I can thank you in person! Daniel... P.S I also like that you referred to us with our original name Cafe Neon ;)

There are newer reviews for Kafeneon

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Whenever I am back in Newcastle I head to Kafeneon for lunch - the food is reeeally tasty, its amazingly cheap and the people who work there are the friendliest bunch in town. Also do evening meals if you're looking for a good place to go.

Also once hosted my sister's hens night in the downstairs part of the cafe and they were really accommodating - was so much fun and right next to the bars so could carry on the night!

Go for the mezze platter to share between 2!!

1  Thank LouiseMiller9
daniel s, Owner at Kafeneon, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you for such a glowing review! We put all we have into Kafeneon and it is a breath of fresh air to hear people are enjoying what we do as much as we enjoy it!! See you again soon, Daniel.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had a cheap early evening meal, but given the number of glowing reviews we were very disappointed. The portion sizes were good but the food was bland and the beef in the stifado undercooked and chewy. The moussaka was made with potato and not aubergines.
If you are serving cheap food, it should still be done well. We won't be back.

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

The staff and service at Kafeneon is outstanding and friendly. The food is good quality and VERY good value for money. We had an evening meal on Saturday and thoroughly enjoyed every dish. My daughter has special dietary requirements and can't eat onions, the staff went out of their way to provide a completely onion free meal (which is very hard to do based on their menu!) it just shows that everything was fresh and yummy. Will return again very soon cheers!

1  Thank Gillian3663
daniel s, Owner at Kafeneon, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. Everything is always made fresh at Kafeneon so it's really no problem, anytime! Glad you and your family enjoyed your evening :) all the best Daniel

Reviewed 20 November 2013

A group of us - 12 - arrived last night (Tuesday around 8.30) with no reservations - no problem!
We were greeted, tabled, our orders taken and food served promptly. I had the pulled pork, which was excellent. Some of our party felt the food was a little under-seasoned, while others felt it was fine. I guess you cant please everybody! The house red wine wasn't great at £12.90 so I'd recommend choosing one from their wine list.

Overall a very pleasant experience