“Decent Spanish, good location, have used before , will use again,”
Review of El Coto

El Coto
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Authentic Spanish Tapas restaurant serving fresh home cooked food in rustic surroundings. We also have a front bar and outside terrace for the warmer months.
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I have used this restaurant several times, sometimes packed to the rafters, sometimes empty.

I usually get the set tapas menu as it allows a decent range of flavours and choice at tapas sizes for £15 each , next time I will try the paella I think for variety, if no seats / tables are available bar barrels are used (I feel this gives nice effect mix of social drinkers and diners) , it feels less franchised than la tasca etc.

staff are generally friendly and efficient although appear flustered at busy times (victim of own success I think), facilities are clean. when busy food is being furiously handed everywhere and generally has a quite upbeat almost authentic "Spanish tapas bar" social atmosphere,

this place just feels more authentic than others, and the food is tasty not always gourmet but it's honest simple grub. Going to be remain on my frequent list ,

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Popped in here by chance and had a meal with my hubby. We have tried El Coto in Durham so wanted to compare the two.
We didn't have the set menu but tried 6 tapas and each was delicious. One bottle of wine and a pint £47.00. The two waiting staff were very pleasant. There were plenty of empty tables on a Wednesday evening.
Personally I feel the Durham restaurant has more at atmosphere about it.

2  Thank Millyannpie
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Were invited to a surprise 70th birthday meal last Saturday. This is the first time I have eaten here but was impressed with the service and food. 11 of us ate from a set menu and must say the starters were a meal in themselves. The 12 tappas arrived contained many meat dishes done I presume the Spanish way. Not much choice if you are a vegetarian but in fairness the waiter for the night did ask if any of us were vegetarians. Place has quite a buzz and the service very good. Well looked after and even a birthday cake arrived. The only problem was the recipient was in the "loo" but the waiter made a quick exit and returned later to the surprise of our main guest.
Must book up as this place appears quite popular.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Came here with a group and 4 of us had the set menu at £14.95 per person. There was loads of food, we must had at least 12 tapas dishes between us. It was very filling and the food was very tasty and nice. It was quite busy for a wednesday evening but the service was very prompt and the food arrived quickly.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Visited El Coto on a Saturday evening before seeing a show, and were glad we'd booked as the place was soon busy and buzzing with a good atmosphere.

Shared the tapas selection for two and thought it both excellent value and very flavoursome - standout dishes included the chorizo sausages and the pork medallions in blue cheese sauce.

Service was smart and efficient and drinks reasonably priced. Would definitely come back again to sample some different dishes next time.