“Lovely”

Mamma Mia
Cuisines: European, Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A traditional Italian restaurant with a cosy and relaxed atmosphere.
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I've been coming to Mamma Mia's for several years now and despite now living near London I always make the time to visit when I'm home. Great food, great wine, great price! What makes this place so special though is the family atmosphere and the friendly staff. Mamma Mia's it particularly good for the special occasion but you can be sure that whatever you have from the menu, it'll never break the bank. I've yet to find anywhere that's quite as special in the South East - please open a branch near me.

mamma46mias, Owner at Mamma Mia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Adam it is lovely to hear from you and I am only sorry I wasn't in when you visited. I hope you are enjoying the South, but we do miss you back in the North East. It is always nice to hear from our regulars, even though we dont see you as often now as we used to. I am pleased you still find our food lovely and good value, we are trying our best. But some of the big boys are closing in around us with their factory food and glitzy decor. We sometimes feel like that little cafe in the film Short Circuit. Hope to see you again when you are back in Newcastle love Sonia

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Mamma Mia was a great favourite in our distant student days and, on returning after many years, we certainly weren't disappointed. The atmosphere was great, the food excellent and good value and the hospitality and service first class. Newcastle is a wonderful city and Mamma Mia does it proud.

Dear Birmingham Paul. I am so pleased you visited us when you were in Newcastle. It is amazing how many ex-students do return to us and enjoy reliving memories. I am very pleased you enjoyed the experience and have readily told others, which we very much appreciate. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

After hearing nothing but marvellous things about this place we headed over one lunchtime and were very surprised to find it empty. Lunchtime and empty restaurant doesn't usually bode well.

We were quickly shown to our table and took in the rather pleasant decor before ordering drinks and food from the happy hour menu.

The minestrone soup was very well received and, one of our party, claimed to be full from a bowl thanks to the size of it. Potato skins were a standard affair, the same quality you get everywhere else, but tasty nonetheless.

Now, the main meals are where the real money is. A giant plate of seafood risotto, a mega plate of bolognese pasta, and a planet-sized half pizza and salad. We. Were. Stuffed.

One thing that did let us down was the lack of coffee/tea that was supposed to be offered at the end of the happy hour meal. We were never asked if we wanted anything else, despite there being no more than 5 guests and 3 of them were on my table, so it wasn't as if they were run off their feet and forgot!

Having said that, we were too stuffed as it was so I'm being a little churlish here. The food was excellent, as was the venue and the price - under £25 for three happy hour meals and drinks. Marvellous.

mamma46mias, Owner at Mamma Mia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Reviewer Thank you for the time you have taken to submit a lovely review. In terms of lunchtime business, I really wish we could gauge it. There are times when we have a really healthy trade and others, like the time you visited, when we do not. But as you say this is not a reflection of the food or the surroundings. Our night time trade is much better, so please return one night-time, as I think you will see a different restaurant. I am sorry you weren't offered coffee or tea, our staff normally do this as a matter of course, so I have alerted the front of house manager. But we do hope you join us again, it is so nice for a seasoned restaurant reviewer to take an interest in our place, I have looked at your other reviews and found them very honest and refreshing.

Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

After wandering round and round Newcastle trying to find a decent restaurant we finally came across mamma Mia, it looked very inviting so we decided to give it a go. When we arrived the staff were very friendly and we immediately got seated. The food was very good and excellent value as we had 3 courses and drinks for around 25 pound which is brilliant. Enjoyed the fact we weren't rushed to get out we could take our time and relax. Happy customer.

mamma46mias, Owner at Mamma Mia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Emma S. Thank you so much for taking the time out to submit such a positive review. I am pleased you think we are a great little find and that you enjoyed your time at the restaurant. We really do try to create a very chilled atmosphere, where people can talk for as long as they like and enjoy our food and music. We do hope to see you again, it is so nice to get folk who honestly appreciate a place for the food and dont expect an unrealistic view of an Italian restaurant with whitewashed walls, white tablecloths and silver service.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

A lovely meal in friendly surroundings. Portion sizes were great, just enough chilli in the black pudding, prime beef in the canneloni. And the desserts......fantastic lemon cheesecake and the biggest portion of tiramisu - absolutely wonderful. And Joe and the team were so friendly and helpful. I love the new menu and the change in decor, although only slight, has been enough to mean the new management is now really putting their stamp on the place. We'll be back.

1  Thank LindaA62
mamma46mias, Owner at Mamma Mia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Linda So pleased you liked the new menu, we are trying to keep the old favs going as well as introduce new and interesting changes, like gluten free choices. We are slowly changing the décor, but trying to keep it traditional. In terms of new owners, we have been there for two years so to us it feels like a lifetime, but I am pleased you have returned and enjoyed your meal. We do hope you join us again soon.