“great place to eat”
Review of Mamma Mia - CLOSED

Mamma Mia
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A traditional Italian restaurant with a cosy and relaxed atmosphere.
Derby, United Kingdom
“great place to eat”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

very good selection of food and all done in half portions if you want, the food was excellent and service very good.
Well worth a visit and very reasonably priced.

Visited August 2013
mamma46mias, Owner at Mamma Mia, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Review Thank you for taking the time out to submit such a positive review. I am pleased you found and enjoyed our restaurant. I am also very happy that you found the food to be excellent and the service good. We try our best to make a visit to our place as nice as possible. We make the food to order, unlike some places who have frozen pizza etc. We make our dough daily and we now offer gluten free, so please tell your friends. We hope to see you again and please tell the manager about your review when you return, it is always nice to say thank you in person.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very Poor Indeed”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Visited Mamma Mia on 30 aug 13 .Place was 25% full at happy hour time .We ordered drinks and opted for 2 Calzones from the happy hour menu. We have ate here previously and had no issues . This time it was very very poor indeed (even at the price)
The calzones arrived and looked ok .The issue was discovered upon cutting them open .The filling consisted almost entirely of onions , a few , and i mean a very few pieces of ham and a miniscule amount of cheese, vitually none existant tbh.
. With the amount of onions in it , a flood of water from the cooked onion covered the plate ,pathetic and disappointing. I can only assume they can meet the happy hour price by radically cutting down on the pricier ingredients and filling it up with cheap .So in essence an "onion" calzone, tasteless and soggy .They only got eaten because we had both been on the go from early on and were starving,

The staff were ok but the food abysmal , why bother with happy hour deals if your going serve this standard of food ? Laughably bad.

Never again

• Visited August 2013
mamma46mias, Owner at Mamma Mia, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Review I am sorry your were disappointed with your meal. I have noted that you have been to the restaurant on several occasions and found the food to be fine, but this is the first review you have submitted. I am only sorry you felt that you could not mention the quality of the food at the restaurant, as we could have done something about it at the time. Our Calzone is very popular, and usually we only get compliments about it, but if you found there was too many onions, or not enough meat, you only had to say and we would have remade it for you. I can assure you that we do not compromise our dishes because it is happy hour, our special and happy hour prices are one of the few that is truly genuine, there is no hidden prices structures or costs, what you see if what you get.
Twyford, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I've been coming to Mamma Mia's for several years now and despite now living near London I always make the time to visit when I'm home. Great food, great wine, great price! What makes this place so special though is the family atmosphere and the friendly staff. Mamma Mia's it particularly good for the special occasion but you can be sure that whatever you have from the menu, it'll never break the bank. I've yet to find anywhere that's quite as special in the South East - please open a branch near me.

mamma46mias, Owner at Mamma Mia, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Adam it is lovely to hear from you and I am only sorry I wasn't in when you visited. I hope you are enjoying the South, but we do miss you back in the North East. It is always nice to hear from our regulars, even though we dont see you as often now as we used to. I am pleased you still find our food lovely and good value, we are trying our best. But some of the big boys are closing in around us with their factory food and glitzy decor. We sometimes feel like that little cafe in the film Short Circuit. Hope to see you again when you are back in Newcastle love Sonia
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great service,great fun!”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Mamma Mia was a great favourite in our distant student days and, on returning after many years, we certainly weren't disappointed. The atmosphere was great, the food excellent and good value and the hospitality and service first class. Newcastle is a wonderful city and Mamma Mia does it proud.

mamma46mias, Owner at Mamma Mia, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Birmingham Paul. I am so pleased you visited us when you were in Newcastle. It is amazing how many ex-students do return to us and enjoy reliving memories. I am very pleased you enjoyed the experience and have readily told others, which we very much appreciate. Hope to see you again.
“Not bad at all”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

After hearing nothing but marvellous things about this place we headed over one lunchtime and were very surprised to find it empty. Lunchtime and empty restaurant doesn't usually bode well.

We were quickly shown to our table and took in the rather pleasant decor before ordering drinks and food from the happy hour menu.

The minestrone soup was very well received and, one of our party, claimed to be full from a bowl thanks to the size of it. Potato skins were a standard affair, the same quality you get everywhere else, but tasty nonetheless.

Now, the main meals are where the real money is. A giant plate of seafood risotto, a mega plate of bolognese pasta, and a planet-sized half pizza and salad. We. Were. Stuffed.

One thing that did let us down was the lack of coffee/tea that was supposed to be offered at the end of the happy hour meal. We were never asked if we wanted anything else, despite there being no more than 5 guests and 3 of them were on my table, so it wasn't as if they were run off their feet and forgot!

Having said that, we were too stuffed as it was so I'm being a little churlish here. The food was excellent, as was the venue and the price - under £25 for three happy hour meals and drinks. Marvellous.

mamma46mias, Owner at Mamma Mia, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Reviewer Thank you for the time you have taken to submit a lovely review. In terms of lunchtime business, I really wish we could gauge it. There are times when we have a really healthy trade and others, like the time you visited, when we do not. But as you say this is not a reflection of the food or the surroundings. Our night time trade is much better, so please return one night-time, as I think you will see a different restaurant. I am sorry you weren't offered coffee or tea, our staff normally do this as a matter of course, so I have alerted the front of house manager. But we do hope you join us again, it is so nice for a seasoned restaurant reviewer to take an interest in our place, I have looked at your other reviews and found them very honest and refreshing.