“Good Food & Good Staff”

Mamma Mia
Cuisines: European, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A traditional Italian restaurant with a cosy and relaxed atmosphere.
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Eat here last weekend for lunch with our 2 kids. The food was nice and fresh and the staff could not be more accomodating and welcoming. the waiter , waitres's and management where great and made our little boy who is 3 very happy with some colouring in booksand pens. its the little things that count. nice relexing restraunt. although our visit was quick because of our new born my self and partner will be returing here for a night out soon. thanks mamma mia's. Great little place.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Not knowing where to go, but thinking 'Italiab would be nice', we sort of stumbled on this place, and delighted we did.
We were drawn by the happy hour idea - being on a bit of a budget. As we had extras, I think everyone - us and the management - were happy with the result.
We started with a shared calamari.. (No quibble, no pulled faces at the cheapskate concept of one shared starter). Nice and tender.. not rubbery as it can be, and went down well.
I had a delicious Napolli (Olives and Anchovies) pizza, and my fried had the slightly bizarre offer of half a pizza with chips. Obviously popular, and she enjoyed it. The 'House red' is a highly acceptable Merlot, which for a restaurant was reasonably priced.
Again they were happy to bring one portion of cheesecake and two spoons for a shared desert.
The chap who served was was very friendly and nicely informal.
Despite being happy hour, the place was 'pleasantly busy' - ie the staff had time to be nice, but the place did not feel deserted.
Reading other reviews, it sounds like it can get busy.. just what it would be like when the late night drunks roll in, i don't know. It is near the infamous Bigg market, but perhaps that little removed t avoid the worst of the rowdies.
But I will certainly remember it for next time in Newcastle.
Thank you everyone there, well done.

mamma46mias, Owner at Mamma Mia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Reviewer Thank you so much for taking the time out to write such a positive review. I am really pleased you found us, we are a bit tucked away, and as your rightly said removed from the Bigg Market. We try to keep our place informal and prices down, and you are right no one would bat and eyelid at you sharing a starter or a dessert, we are just happy for people to feel at home. We make our own calamari, so I am pleased you enjoyed them. I am also pleased you liked our wine. We go to a lot of trouble to pick the best house Red and Wine Italian wine, which you cannot buy in the shops, as we get it from an Italian supplier. We make our dough fresh everyday so our pizzas taste their best. I think our happy hour is great value, but check out our everyday prices after seven and you will see we are very affordable. Next time you are in, just say hello to the Manager and mention your review. It is always nice to put a face to a name.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

very good selection of food and all done in half portions if you want, the food was excellent and service very good.
Well worth a visit and very reasonably priced.

Dear Review Thank you for taking the time out to submit such a positive review. I am pleased you found and enjoyed our restaurant. I am also very happy that you found the food to be excellent and the service good. We try our best to make a visit to our place as nice as possible. We make the food to order, unlike some places who have frozen pizza etc. We make our dough daily and we now offer gluten free, so please tell your friends. We hope to see you again and please tell the manager about your review when you return, it is always nice to say thank you in person.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Visited Mamma Mia on 30 aug 13 .Place was 25% full at happy hour time .We ordered drinks and opted for 2 Calzones from the happy hour menu. We have ate here previously and had no issues . This time it was very very poor indeed (even at the price)
The calzones arrived and looked ok .The issue was discovered upon cutting them open .The filling consisted almost entirely of onions , a few , and i mean a very few pieces of ham and a miniscule amount of cheese, vitually none existant tbh.
. With the amount of onions in it , a flood of water from the cooked onion covered the plate ,pathetic and disappointing. I can only assume they can meet the happy hour price by radically cutting down on the pricier ingredients and filling it up with cheap .So in essence an "onion" calzone, tasteless and soggy .They only got eaten because we had both been on the go from early on and were starving,

The staff were ok but the food abysmal , why bother with happy hour deals if your going serve this standard of food ? Laughably bad.

Never again

Dear Review I am sorry your were disappointed with your meal. I have noted that you have been to the restaurant on several occasions and found the food to be fine, but this is the first review you have submitted. I am only sorry you felt that you could not mention the quality of the food at the restaurant, as we could have done something about it at the time. Our Calzone is very popular, and usually we only get compliments about it, but if you found there was too many onions, or not enough meat, you only had to say and we would have remade it for you. I can assure you that we do not compromise our dishes because it is happy hour, our special and happy hour prices are one of the few that is truly genuine, there is no hidden prices structures or costs, what you see if what you get.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I've been coming to Mamma Mia's for several years now and despite now living near London I always make the time to visit when I'm home. Great food, great wine, great price! What makes this place so special though is the family atmosphere and the friendly staff. Mamma Mia's it particularly good for the special occasion but you can be sure that whatever you have from the menu, it'll never break the bank. I've yet to find anywhere that's quite as special in the South East - please open a branch near me.

Dear Adam it is lovely to hear from you and I am only sorry I wasn't in when you visited. I hope you are enjoying the South, but we do miss you back in the North East. It is always nice to hear from our regulars, even though we dont see you as often now as we used to. I am pleased you still find our food lovely and good value, we are trying our best. But some of the big boys are closing in around us with their factory food and glitzy decor. We sometimes feel like that little cafe in the film Short Circuit. Hope to see you again when you are back in Newcastle love Sonia