“Expected more”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I'll start by admitting that I thoroughly enjoyed the "social-eating" aspect of Hanahana. Social, because, you are sat around a grill at which your food is prepared and cooked in front of you. This was fun and different and definitely a plus for those fussier customers who like to know exactly what they are eating.

The food was average though I failed to justify the high-cost for such small portions of food. Usually I would look over such an aspect but when faced with a small amount that left nothing to boast about it did feel as though we were left feeling, somewhat, tricked.

Another issue to raise would be the attitude of the staff. A member of our party had an issue with a vegetarian side dish being missing from his order. I'll admit that, at the other end of the long table, I wasn't really paying attention to what was happening, though I picked up on the fact that they were reluctant to believe that he was telling the truth.

The restaurant is decorated nicely and seemed clean and inviting, though I'd agree that the toilets could do with updating.

We were wished good-night on our departure and so I wasn't left feeling personally upset with the whole experience. Though I wouldn't rush back, I'd not rule out giving them a chance again in the future.

1  Thank jamstadvisor

Reviewed 3 July 2014

HanaHana's longstanding tenure on Bath Lane is difficult to understand, given the proliferation of decent Asian restaurants in the area. Following a visit yesterday evening, I considered that its endurance might have something to do with its emphasis on novelty cooking techniques and gimmicky egg-flipping - it is a shame that these facets stand in for, rather than accompany, good service and food.

My first grievance is that of portion size: it is frankly disingenuous to term what was the most miserly selection of meat and fish a ''banquet'' - indeed, the menu, and of course price, gives the impression that one is to receive a substantial amount of food. There is talk of tiger prawns, of beef slices, cod fillet, teriyaki chicken, rice, vegetables and a salad to start - ostensibly bountiful and not unreasonable at around £24 per head. I do not purport to be a master of the English language, but, at least in my understanding of the term ''banquet'', one ought at least to be able to share it. As it stood, we each ordered a banquet, and, to give some much-needed context to the term, this involved a pathetically puny salad of cabbage, sliced cucumber and anaemic tomato (unforgivable during summer) which purported to constitute the starter, followed by similarly paltry portions of the aforementioned meat, fish and seafood. Again, for context's sake, the tiger prawn element amounted to less than one prawn per person: our server, in a most parsimonious display of severing skill, managed to split four prawns between the five of us. Impressive indeed, but alas for the wrong reason entirely. The food itself can be described as simply as it was prepared: inundated in soy sauce and salt and otherwise entirely unremarkable. Upon reflection, the starter salad might have been left out entirely, such was its impact on both palate and satiety.

My second grievance was the state of the toilets: emphatically vile, lacking both hot, running water and any soap.

Overall, the food, sloppy service (a waiter's error culminated in a 15-minute team talk between staff rather than simply addressing the issue and apologising) and generally unimpressive experience cost us, a group of seven, to the tune of £200. Save yourself the money and go to an all-you-can-eat buffet. The food will be just as good and you'll get quite a lot more of it, too.

2  Thank Rzeczpospolitan
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The waiter's bongs as we were escorted into the dining area served as a fittingly ominous warning of a poor experience to follow. If you're vegetarian, I can say what this restaurant lacks in imagination it makes up for in adherence to '5 a day' guidelines; the vegetarian banquet offers salad vegetables, followed by assorted grilled vegetables, served with a side of vegetables. Presumably dessert is a potato. I personally ordered three starters and was initially only served two, owing to an innocent misunderstanding by another person in our party who was handed grilled asparagus and assumed it was part of his vegetarian banquet. I raised this issue with the waiter who then passed it to his manager. Never before has such a debate over what is essentially a few measly grilled plant stems, and never before have I paid so much money and been made to feel like a conniving thief. For the price paid I'd expect hand soap in the toilets, at least to wash my hands of this poor experience.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Good atmosphere, friendly, with amazing sushi. The fish in the sushi was the best I have ever eaten. Mixed sushi matched with Asahi beer.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Went with a large bunch of family and we all loved it, great atmosphere, very busy so need to book! but food was all really good.
I tried to catch an egg in my chefs hat but it did hit the wife's new shoes instead..thankfully she forgave me.
Very good. will be back